• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    South Central IN
    After trading off some stuff, I've ended up with 1000 or so rounds of 7.62x54 ammo and no rifle to shoot it.
    I'm faced with the crossroads of selling the ammo or picking up a VEPR with a big long 23" barrel.
    They look like fun to me.
    I'm looking for some thoughts on this.
    A friendly "what would you do?" is what I'm throwing out there today.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1,000 rounds isn't much. I probably wouldn't buy a new rifle just to shoot that up. Up to you of course. I have a VEPR .308 set up like a fighting rifle and really like it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I went the black rifle DMR route with my 54r. The zhukov folding stock is currently on the rifle, but I also have an Arsenal Nato length stock for her.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love the 7.62x54r round. I have a Mosin M44, a Molot VEPR 12 and would like to eventually get a VEPR 7.62x54 too. I've not heard a bad thing about their quality or accuracy.

I'd say, go for it!

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    After trading off some stuff, I've ended up with 1000 or so rounds of 7.62x54 ammo and no rifle to shoot it.
    I'm faced with the crossroads of selling the ammo or picking up a VEPR with a big long 23" barrel.
    They look like fun to me.
    I'm looking for some thoughts on this.
    A friendly "what would you do?" is what I'm throwing out there today.

Local Gun Shop had one in stock as of Monday, but with a 20" barrel

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You are the reason I cannot save money... I want a vepr to do this to so bad lol

You sir may have very well pegged out the BadA$$ meter with that one, VERY nice! Ive been wanting one like this for a long time.

Thanks guys. Matt at Iron Wood Design really makes an awesome product, just be prepared to wait for it. Definitely breathes new life into a rifle though.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Roughly 1 to 2 MOA on a good day @ 100 meters, depending on ammo. With surplus, more like 3ish. My problem with it was the same as any other semi auto I've owned in the past, I want it to shoot like my bolt gun, haha.

Ha ha that's the truth! I've wondered how these shoot compared to their counterpart like the PSL. I guess honestly about an MOA is probably pretty darn good for a platform such as this. I know PPU and Hornady makes a "Match" load for the 54R have you tried either of those?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I took the Franken 54R out to Elwood today. Here is a better picture of what she currently looks like:

attachment.php

As for accuracy, I shot a 33% size 1/2" AR500 plate. After finishing dialing in the scope with the 3 shots on the top, I put 5 rounds below in the center of the plate aiming at the same impact spot. The max distance apart was 1.5". This was with surplus 7.62x54R while the plate was still swinging from the previous shot.

attachment.php

Top Bottom