• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I was thinking about this "what if" scenario. What if "assault weapons" were banned again? What gun would not make it on the list and would be the closest to an AR in functionality? Those guns will be in high demand if such a thing happened. It's always good to think ahead a little bit. You never know. You and I both know that they aren't assault weapons. I figured I'd just go along with their terminology.

Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    I have an AR-15 in 9mm at the moment. I'm just interested in what everyone will say. Being that I'm a noob, I don't know what other options are out there.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well there's always the PTR-91 but that will probably be on the list too since the only reason PTR is in America is because of the original ban and they'll be sure to fix that next time around.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I hate to think about it but they won't make the mistakes they did last time. Anything with an adjustable stock, folding stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine and high capacity will be banned

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What's funny (ironic, not haha) is that ACTUAL assault rifles may not be on the list. Things like an SKS or Mosin.

Wonder if you can still buy those by the case?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am pretty sure the Mini 14 was a problem last time, or at least the large capacity magazines. The enemy is not getting dumber, just more immoral.

In troubled times, a lever gun is fast and can be powerful. Reload is slow. The ugly but effective Savage 99 lever gun does not have a tube magazine so you can use pointed bullets, and is strong enough for powerful cartridges. The 99M has a detachable magazine for faster reloads but only hold 4 cartridges. I brazed an extension on one because I needed it to hold 5. I was always going to adapt an M14 or an FAL magazine to the rifle, but never got around to that project.

There are several companies that make detachable magazine hardware for Remington bolt actions if that is all that is allowed.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    What's funny (ironic, not haha) is that ACTUAL assault rifles may not be on the list. Things like an SKS or Mosin.

Wonder if you can still buy those by the case?

And neither of those are "assault rifles". Just because it was issued does not make it an assault rifle. P

er the DoD, "As the United States Defense Department’s Defense Intelligence Agency book Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide explains, “assault rifles” are “short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges.”

In other words, assault rifles are battlefield rifles which can fire automatically.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I hate to think about it but they won't make the mistakes they did last time. Anything with an adjustable stock, folding stock, pistol grip, detachable magazine and high capacity will be banned

Agreed, we just have to keep idiots from running/ruining our country.
    Easier said than done.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Lever action carbine in .30-30, .44 or .357 magnum. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pumps. Either should fall under the radar and be quite versatile.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    Hi point 995 ts. Hi point only makes 10 round magazines for the carbine. I can't say enough good about the hi point carbine. Great warranty, cheap to shoot if you go with a 9, pretty accurate, I haven't had any trouble out of mine. For 300 bucks it's hard to think of a reason not to own one.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lever action carbine in .30-30, .44 or .357 magnum. Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pumps. Either should fall under the radar and be quite versatile.

This, it worked quite well for a long time. Add in a semi auto handgun with a fixed ten round magazine. Just like Joe Kidd.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just a thought, but maybe some of the Kel-Tec offerings like the SU-16 or Sub2K.... I had a SU-16 and it worked great, like mentioned though were they will get us is wording like "Large Capacity magazine" so that will limit everything.

Kind of makes you wonder how this country would be if they actually put forth that much effort toward something that would really make a difference for people as whole in this country vs. just screwing those of us that like to go to the range a couple times a month.....

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    As the others have said, what's close to the AR will probably be banned right along with it. Answering your question though, the Mini-14, AK-74, Kel-tec, etc., would be closest but will probably be banned.

What they usually "forget" to ban or take the extra step to exempt is rifles chambered in .22LR. If that's the case, a churched up 10/22 is about as close to the AR as you can get, especially with the BX-25 mags. I've got one with the Tapco stock on it and other than a little less noise and recoil, it's about like operating an M-4gery. Sure, mag swaps are a little different and it doesn't punch through light barriers. But, pound for pound, it's a decent little rifle and offers the same "assault" capabilities the AR does.

Taking a page from the last ban, anything banned won't be rounded up or confiscated there will just be no new sales of those firearms and/or mags for them. Personally, I'd like to see us wave a giant middle finger to the feds and simply ignore any new "assault weapons bans" but I bet we'll get in line just like we've always done. If they talk confiscation I hope we'll get a little more liberty-minded and say, "Not from my house."

We're all Billy Bad@$$ until it's time to stand on the line. As much as I like to think I'd be stepping up, I make sure I fill out that form every time I buy a gun from a licensee. Yep, I'm a real badass.

Top Bottom