• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    T/C Venture comes with a factory 1MOA guarantee. They can be had for under $450. Ruger American would be another in that price range that gets good reviews. The Savage Axis and the Remington 783 are the other models in that space, but are not as well received. Still, you are getting a pretty decent rifle for what you pay. I was going to get the Venture in .243 last year, then found a used stainless 700 with the older, nicer synthetic stock for $600. So that was the obvious choice. You might find a good used M77, savage, or rem 700 if you aren't in a hurry.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The 700 would be the only thing I'd look at.
    If you want economy, go with the SPS.

Savage makes a very nice bolt gun as well. I wouldn't rule them out at all. But he said entry level, and there are sme decent offerings that aren't the flagship bolt actions. My .308 700 left me pretty underwhelmed. I bought it for the same price as a bare action, knowing I would be changing most everything out. But the original rifle sucked. The .243 is an older build, and much nicer.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The Remington of today is not the same as it used to be. Nothing wrong with a Remy made before Freedom Group purchased them. Short answer here is Ruger American or Savage

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    T/C Venture comes with a factory 1MOA guarantee. They can be had for under $450. Ruger American would be another in that price range that gets good reviews. The Savage Axis and the Remington 783 are the other models in that space, but are not as well received. Still, you are getting a pretty decent rifle for what you pay. I was going to get the Venture in .243 last year, then found a used stainless 700 with the older, nicer synthetic stock for $600. So that was the obvious choice. You might find a good used M77, savage, or rem 700 if you aren't in a hurry.

For the dollars, that is a very difficult offer to beat. I own one of the predator versions. And its closer to 1/2 MOA than 1 MOA. Out of the box.
    I bought it thinking I would upgrade to a bean field rifle at some point. But found little need. I'd love a TC ICON in .308 for fit and finish. But they are a little more spendy.

The Savage offering is also a great value.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Does anyone know what numerical value the word "economy" has? In my experience some folks consider a 2k dollar rifle "economy" some folks consider a Mosin "economy".

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother bought a used T/C Venture from an Ingo member about 2 years ago.
    He could not be happier with his purchase, especially now that it will be deer legal.
    It is a very nice rifle for the money.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    True to an extent. But the 700's are not all the same. For example, the SPS won't be as nice as the Sendero/5r/Police level models. Freedom Group has Remington making them to a price point. Bottom line is that the budget 700's just aren't what they used to be. The higher end 700's are still shooters.

OP, I'd recommend a 700 if you are going to want to upgrade and tinker with the rifle or if the Sendero/5R/Police models are in your current budget. If not, go with a Savage. Savage's are almost all shooters right out of the box.

Another note: The new Winchesters are VERY nice since FN bought them. Every bit as nice as the pre-64 models when Winchester was initially bought out.

The Remington of today is not the same as it used to be. Nothing wrong with a Remy made before Freedom Group purchased them. Short answer here is Ruger American or Savage

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Does anyone know what numerical value the word "economy" has? In my experience some folks consider a 2k dollar rifle "economy" some folks consider a Mosin "economy".

Good point. For me, I would probably do as follows:

<$500 T/C Venture
    $500-$900 Savage 10 or variant
    $900-$1200 Nicer Rem 700
    $1200-$3000 PTG 700 Short Action, Krieger or Bartlein barrel, Magpul stock (unless you've got a bigger budget), Timney trigger.
    or for a more traditional rifle, get a Cooper :drool:
    >$3000 GAP or Surgeon

Im sure I could refine this list on further reflection, but off the top of my head this is how I look at it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good recommendations.

<$500 T/C Venture
    $900-$1200 Nicer Rem 700
    $1200-$3000 PTG 700 Short Action, Krieger or Bartlein barrel, Magpul stock (unless you've got a bigger budget), Timney trigger.
    >$3000 GAP or Surgeon

Im sure I could refine this list on further reflection, but off the top of my head this is how I look at it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'll admit to being biased as a Ruger guy, so I'll say that the price range you state dictates either the Ruger American for new, or (I would consider this an upgrade) a used Ruger M77, preferably one of the older models with the tang safety, mainly because the trigger on the latter is excellent.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

<$500 T/C Venture
    $900-$1200 Nicer Rem 700
    >$3000 GAP or Surgeon

This right here is pretty much spot on, however I'd add the Ruger Precision Rifle in the $900-$1200 price range and the Savage 10BA LE in the $1700 price range. Both of them are shooters right out of the box and you wouldn't need to upgrade much of anything on them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I picked up a Savage Axis 2 XP combo with a Weaver Kaspa scope in 7mm-08 about a month ago for $425 at Bass Pro. So far it has been a great shooting gun, I can shoot about 2.5 inch groups at 200 yards with a bi-pod. I love the accu trigger, I have mine all the way down (supposed to be 1.5 pounds but I haven't checked it) for the range. The only change I made were upgraded rings, I planned to put my Burris scope on, but the weaver has been doing great so far.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Can also add Howa's (they even sell a barreled action by itself if you plan to put a new stock on anyway), Weatherby Vanguard's, and Ruger American's to the list. Definitely some of the nicer budget rifles.

Top Bottom