• ...and so much more!
  • weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to build a retro M16A1 clone. I've found some different online vendors that sell parts, but most are on backorder (no surprise). Seeing as how this would be a first time build, do you guys think I should go with a complete assembled upper (if I can even find a completed A1 upper) and assemble the lower myself, or just assemble the entire thing on my own? I'd rather not wait forever for everything to get back in stock and ship. So if you guys know any vendors that sell quality A1 parts, and have them in stock, that would be helpful. I'd like to keep the 20" barrel, but would prefer 1:7 twist rather than the 1:12.
    Thanks

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is the Brownells one a complete upper minus the barrel, or would I need to also purchase an upper parts kit? Sorry, I'm new to the whole process. Gotta start somewhere. Thanks!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Do you think I would have better luck finding individual parts and assembling it on my own, or tracking down a pre assembled complete upper?

I have no idea what you might find, but if you don't want a 1:12 barrel you are going to have to build it.

Royal Tiger has some parts in stock, including original Colt uppers that need repaired due to a crack. I have no idea whether that is really feasible or not, aluminum is not easy to weld, but the price is right. If it were me, I would stick with the Brownells upper, but maybe you can repair it or know somebody that can. Royal Tiger is affialiated with IO inc, which does not have a great reputation, but I know from past experience that they once had a large stock of parts kits from original Colt made M-16A1's that were used by a South American country. The parts they have left are probably odds and ends from that, so they are original Colt, but heavily used. I have no idea whether these would be a way you should go, just throwing out options.

AR-15 Parts

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    So I was going to go with the 20" 1/7 twist A1 retro barrel from Brownell's, but it turns out they have none in stock or for backorder and the rep said there's no word on when they will get them back. I did see this completed A1 that I liked; M16A1 Retro Rifle Semi-Auto : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Problem with that is 1) it's a 1/12 twist and I'd prefer 1/7 or 1/9, and 2) I could probably build one for cheaper than that. Do you guys think, practically speaking, it's much difference to get a 1/12 vs 1/7. I know it'll stabilize the heavier rounds with 1/7, but if I just always have 55 gr it shouldn't really matter, right? I know sig1473 mentioned GM makes a barrel in 1/7, but that would require drilling and pinning the FSB. Do you think that's something a first time builder could do without screwing it up?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    So I was going to go with the 20" 1/7 twist A1 retro barrel from Brownell's, but it turns out they have none in stock or for backorder and the rep said there's no word on when they will get them back. I did see this completed A1 that I liked; M16A1 Retro Rifle Semi-Auto : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    Problem with that is 1) it's a 1/12 twist and I'd prefer 1/7 or 1/9, and 2) I could probably build one for cheaper than that. Do you guys think, practically speaking, it's much difference to get a 1/12 vs 1/7. I know it'll stabilize the heavier rounds with 1/7, but if I just always have 55 gr it shouldn't really matter, right? I know sig1473 mentioned GM makes a barrel in 1/7, but that would require drilling and pinning the FSB. Do you think that's something a first time builder could do without screwing it up?

You could certainly build one for less money than that, and I would have a hard time spending that much money for something only to still not be happy with the twist rate. FWIW, if you do end up deciding to buy one from them, why not contact them ahead of time and ask them if they can do it with a different twist rate barrel? Since they give options, they probably build them to order.

Regarding drilling and pinning the FSB, it's not a difficult thing to do, but it needs to be done right. If the sight is only slightly canted, you can have a big problem with not being able to zero it. I would highly recommend finding somebody that already knows how to do this. Here is one guy: AR15BARRELS.COM - Shop Services

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking to build a retro M16A1 clone. I've found some different online vendors that sell parts, but most are on backorder (no surprise). Seeing as how this would be a first time build, do you guys think I should go with a complete assembled upper (if I can even find a completed A1 upper) and assemble the lower myself, or just assemble the entire thing on my own? I'd rather not wait forever for everything to get back in stock and ship. So if you guys know any vendors that sell quality A1 parts, and have them in stock, that would be helpful. I'd like to keep the 20" barrel, but would prefer 1:7 twist rather than the 1:12.
    Thanks

OK, just my curiosity, are you talking M-16, as in class III, or are you talking AR-15 ?????

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Just to clarify, I am looking for an A1 style barrel but with a 1:7 twist. Sorry for the confusion. And SSGSAD, I am referring to an M16A1 clone in semi. As cool as that would be to have the original full auto, I'd rather stay out of prison. :P

Top Bottom