• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Does anyone make a lever action rifle in .223/5.56? I was just thinking, if semi auto's or AR style rifles were banned, what would be my rifle of choice to use with my stock of ammo? Of course a bolt action would work, but I feel a lever action would be quicker, or at least more comfortable to cycle quickly, for me, anyway. However, I've never seen nor heard of a lever action in this caliber. I'm not even sure the casing rim design would lend itself to a lever action.

Just curious.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Browning makes a lightweight that looks nice, but it uses a really expensive 4 round box magazine. If it only took AR mags. That would be a winner!

I'd bet there are bolt actions that use AR mags. I just saw the Ruger American Ranch Rifle, and it looks pretty neat, but has a 5 round magazine.

I'm still searching for a lever action that takes AR mags, if that can even be engineered....

Update...Bolt action .223 with AR mags...Marlin MVP. Interesting gun. I still have not found a lever action that takes AR mags. That would be perfect.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Does anyone make a lever action rifle in .223/5.56? I was just thinking, if semi auto's or AR style rifles were banned, what would be my rifle of choice to use with my stock of ammo and mags? Of course a bolt action would work, but I feel a lever action would be quicker, or at least more comfortable to cycle quickly, for me, anyway. .

Get a Remington 7615P

DGG_7894pw.jpg

;)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Mossberg MVP is a bolt gun in 5.56 that uses ar mags.

at an INGO shoot, somebody had a pump gun in .223, but I don't know what kind of mags it took.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't you just love a good dilemma. The Remington probably makes the most sense for the purpose, but with the Henry, well, old-fashioned craftsmanship coupled with the fact that Anthony Imperato (owner and CEO) is just an awesome guy.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Those are awesome looking guns, guys! I want one of each!

I'd really love to see Henry do the Long Ranger in their All Weather finish. That would be HOT! To accept AR mags would be gravy! If they did a tube magazine, it would probably hold 7 or 8 rounds, but it wouldn't be quick to reload.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Do they even make those anymore? Did they chamber 5.56, as well as .223? That thing is flat awesome!

Looks like it was last made in 2010? I'd bet they'd ramp it right up if semi's were banned, or at least I'd hope they would. Of course hi-cap mags would probably be banned first, so they could just sell it with 5 or 10 rounders. I'm thinking this would be more practical for SHTF than the lever action with 4 rounds.

So the MVP may be the best option for one that is currently in production.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wow, that looks really interesting! As for the Troy, I think I remember seeing it. It would have those "evil assault rifle" features like a flash hider and pistol grip, though, right? The Remy looks like a shot gun, which is perfect.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If they did a tube magazine, it would probably hold 7 or 8 rounds, but it wouldn't be quick to reload.

The bigger problem is that you would be limited to blunt-tipped bullets. The reason you never see pointed bullets in .30-30 or .222 loads is that in a tube magazine each bullet could/would act under recoil as a firing pin with really nasty results.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Looks like it was last made in 2010? I'd bet they'd ramp it right up if semi's were banned, or at least I'd hope they would. Of course hi-cap mags would probably be banned first, so they could just sell it with 5 or 10 rounders. I'm thinking this would be more practical for SHTF than the lever action with 4 rounds.

So the MVP may be the best option for one that is currently in production.

The 76i5s show up on gunbroker, and sell for $700-800.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2009/5/20/remington-7615p-pump-action-rifle/

Remington Law Enforcement - Rifles - Model 7615P Patrol Rifle

If I didn't have my 7615, I would have a Mossberg MVP, probably in the Patrol version. Just be sure and buy it from a shop that has one, so you can try out the bolts action. Some are very stiff. INGOer gunbunnies has one that I shot at a Winimac M&S that had good bolt action.

Top Bottom