• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68NOVA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2016
    nwi
    Not knowing which Simmons is on it or the mags with it...

Sorta in line with Snorko, minus $100-$125

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    a picture helps a lot. Older pencil barrel or newer production? I have owned both, still have the newer one and love it but bought mine new.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    They used to have a reputation for less than stellar accuracy. I have heard the newer models are better. Part of the equation is going to be what you expect from the gun. I have very limited experience with them but the one I shot was certainly no AR15.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I wouldn't give more than five for it and only if it's mint with lots of goodies.

Check out Accuracy Systems website and you won't want a stock one anymore. They are hard on brass if you are planning to hand load for it.

AR is the way to go for the money.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    mine hasn't been any harder on brass than an AR. I have easily reloaded any and all brass that goes through it. :dunno:

Had two in the family awhile back. They would bring me their brass after a range trip. I could instantly tell which rounds came from the mini's. Brass was dented and creased. They threw it hard and far. Extremely loud too.

Both sold in favor of the AR. Neither mini could hang with the accuracy of the AR.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Between a decent AR-15, and a Mini-14, there USED to be a significant price gap, and so the Mini-14 occupied a niche for a lot of people, LEO included. This, despite nobody really ever thinking the Mini-14 was a firearm that had a better design, or even that it was executed better. Price spoke for itself.

At this point, that price gap has been reduce to almost nothing, or in many cases, falls in FAVOR of the AR-15.

Given the performance of the two rifles at almost any task involving actual shooting, given the parts, service, and 'smith availability in favor of the AR, and given the truth of the above statement about lack of price differential...

...there aren't too many good reasons to buy a Mini-14 other than you just "like it".

-Nate

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    ...there aren't too many good reasons to buy a Mini-14 other than you just "like it".
    Well, Ruger has some of the best FREE Customer Service in the business while your AR smith is gonna charge you no matter how inexpensive he/she is, you can't beat free. Everyone has an AR and there are reasons to avoid direct impingement, for instance cleaning. I like my Mini14 now that the accuracy issue is dealt with and I got mine a heck of a lot cheaper than many AR's go for these days. AR's do have a lot more "stuff" to put on them but I generally don't get a lot of stuff for my rifles. I got this Mini14 and it wasn't exactly what I wanted in one but it was inexpensive and has been a lot of fun. Would have preferred a wood stock basic rifle but this is what I havenow until I get around to getting a stock and changing it....
    RgrMini14Xtra-1.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Well, Ruger has some of the best FREE Customer Service in the business while your AR smith is gonna charge you no matter how inexpensive he/she is, you can't beat free. Everyone has an AR and there are reasons to avoid direct impingement, for instance cleaning. I like my Mini14 now that the accuracy issue is dealt with and I got mine a heck of a lot cheaper than many AR's go for these days. AR's do have a lot more "stuff" to put on them but I generally don't get a lot of stuff for my rifles. I got this Mini14 and it wasn't exactly what I wanted in one but it was inexpensive and has been a lot of fun. Would have preferred a wood stock basic rifle but this is what I havenow until I get around to getting a stock and changing it....
    RgrMini14Xtra-1.jpg
    I'm not familiar with these. ;) Who takes their AR's to a gunsmith? There's nothing on an AR that takes a gunsmith to sort out.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    My new mini 14,
    I put an old school wood handguard on it (I like how it looks). It is an improvement over the earlier models in accuracy as to when the barrel heats up. It is a little cheaper than most ARs, it's very reliable no malfunctions no ftf. This type of action is very time tested reliable.
    It looks cool, it's different, and it can kill when you need it. Good enough for me. My advice, by a new one for the thicker barrel over the old. Ruger mags are not cheap but steel . I haven't tried aftermarket polymer yet in mine.

IMG_20160914_101206710_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160914_101206710_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
      IMG_20160914_101206710_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The TAPCO mags work well in mine. I have several and use them mostly for the range. I have heard bad stuff about them though so would try one then from there. I have a fair number of the Ruger mags too, gotthemon sale so I bought a bunch. I like the look of your swissrifles1, want to change mine eventually to this as I tend to be old school.

I get it, people don't like anything but their trusted AR platforms. I have one of them myself, actually two now that I think about it. I like Ruger, their Customer Service is top notch, they make American firearms in America. I have long been a Ruger Fan, Bill Rger included. He did what he did to save his company. I didn't like it but understood why he did it. I also get the whole buy something else, never a Ruger thing that goes on here for the most part. People seem drawn to a label as much as the item in this country and Ruger tends to be seen as a lesser product. I am fine with this as well as it keeps the prices lower and so I spend less.

People do love the M1 Garand generally and this is what the Mini14 and 30 are, Garand action rifles. They aren't a rifle that directly impinges on the bolt so they run cleaner in general IMO so I like this too. I like the Mini platform, especially now that they have made the barrels a bit thicker and support them better. This fixes the heating problem that killed the accuracy of the older models. As a former gunsmith I have had many AR's taken to me so who, I would have to look through my old books to give names but there are more than a few who do.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    It's a fun rifle. I have a tactical in synthetic stock, but not like Warthog's. You want to get a 581 series or later with the heavier barrel. They're accurate enough for their intended purpose as a ranch rifle, i.e. minute of coyote.

No, they are not an AR. I also have an AR and shoot it more than the mini. Buy it if you like it, just don't expect a sniper rifle.

Top Bottom