On the hunt for a collectable rifle, what say ye ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Ok guys, I have the itch for a new rifle and have been thinking about which one should be at the top of the list. In no particular order this is what I have been thinking about.
    1. Colt SP1
    2. Daewoo DR200
    3. Armalite AR180
    4. Valmet M ??

I'm really just thinking more for the collectable factor and for occasional shooting. If you have any thoughts or suggestions on these or something I haven't listed feel free to suggest them. Also I would appreciate any explanations ( the good, bad, ugly ) regarding these or other choices you might offer. Of course money does come into play....as usual.

Parrthed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Charlestown
    Personally, Here's my choices, depending on your budget.

Valmet m78 .308 stamped or milled - exceptional quality and craftsmanship
    Daewoo K1A1 or AR100 - pre ban and very dependable , no butthole stock., AR100 side folder is SOLID
    Armalite Costa Mesa - great guns, owned a couple. very interesting design
    Colt SP1 - no comment, only owned a couple ARs, all ban era

Mitchell or Polytech AKs are nice as well as the other Valmet rifles.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I would have to agree with the FNC, I have just a AR180B that I picked up at a gun show last year and it's a fun shooter and I didn't pay much for it. I also enjoy the early FALs

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    You say collectable, then bring up ugly modern weapons.... I'm confused.

I see your point but you gotta start somewhere...and I did with some old 22 rifles.

Keep em coming guys, a lot of good suggestions so far.

Kirk, I seen that thread on the Colts but those were too far out of my reach, I'm just a poor working stiff trying to get a few good ones.

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    Anything non ar15 or mini 14 in the semi auto realm. That includes newer guns like a SCAR 17. I would choose a Galil arm, however. The valmets are nice but it better come with a magazine.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you want truly collectible, why not go for the gold standard, i.e. pre-war Winchester Model 70?
    Others:
    Original Winchester model 1886
    Savage 99
    Original Winchester 1895
    Belgian Browning Auto-5
    Browning Superposed Pigeon Grade
    The aforementioned Winchester 52
    1980s-era (yes, I have one) Marlin 39A
    Winchester 71
    or...going for non-vintage but a great degree of engineering and innovation (be sure to bring lots of money), a rifle that has interchangeable barrels and bolt faces to allow caliber changes with ordinary hand tools only: Blaser R93
    Back to vintage and going for major money (as much as six figures for exceptional specimens) an original iron framed 1860 Henry rifle
    Going for the outer limits, the Colt SAA serial #1, the Sears & Roebuck Colt SAA or serial #2 of the two prototype (serial #1 mysteriously disappeared after it was submitted to the Army for evaluation...hmmm) .45 ACP Luger P-08 pistols; any of these three would easily command well over one million dollars.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, I seen that thread on the Colts but those were too far out of my reach, I'm just a poor working stiff trying to get a few good ones.

Then you know what makes guns collectible? Right, time.

Have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark? Remember the scene in the tent when Indiana's archenemy is discussing throwing a penny into the desert for 1,000 years?

Scarcity=value. Buy a new rifle, ensure that it is a limited run, keep the gun with the box and receipt and let time go to work.

If you are wanting to buy before the coming Great Gun Buy of 2016-2017 after November, then you need to start buying lowers and mags.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Savage 99 in .300 Savage or .250-3000.

The later being more rare than the former. What a honey-pie of a rifle, too, IF you can find one.

I'd also take one in .243 or .308, too.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    FN FAL PARA
    FN L1A2
    GALIL
    AN ORIGINAL M82A1 W/ 12 ROUND MAGS
    BROWNING BAR

and if money were truely no concern an H&K PSG1

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Some good suggestions!

SVT40, Browning Auto 5 and Remington Model 8 are all on my rather lengthy wish list. You can't go wrong with a nice Model of 1903 or 1903A3 either.

Then, there is the Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mark I which can still be had for a reasonable price point. That cock-on-close action will surprise you, lightning fast and smooth as butter!

Top Bottom