Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quiet down an AR?

Without rehashing the details entirely, but I have seen a gizmo that slips over a flash hider to direct gas and sounds downrange to make it a perceived quieter shooting gun. An overpriced buy for me at least because it is designed to only fit one style of that manufacturer's brake, so I'd need to spend $90 just to get to the point I could use the gizmo so probably close to $200 delivered. Nope. Not worth it.

Would removing the flash hider and installing a thread protector achieve the same goal? After all there would be no more gasses directed to the sides, so it seems like a solid idea. And this particular rifle is a range toy, so its not like I NEED a flash hider. Its a standard birdcage so its not achieving any mechanical goal like preventing muzzle rise or reducing recoil.

Worth the $20 or not really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

I think people underestimate the A2 and it would be better than just a barrel with a thread protector... You can buy things like a flamming pig or other devises like it that effectively put the sound out in front of you, or the concussion at least. What you are talking about is something like a warden from surefire or pyro from deadair... I think most people that have these also own their cans already and or can't and want to be "cool" but that's what it seems to me...

M67

User Info Menu

Suppressor

Cheaper Option

KVP Linear Comp

I know several people that have the KAW Valley Comp and all of them say they work pretty good

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I dont have the patience or the extra cash for a can and was seeing what I could do for a quick $20 accessory. I might be able to find $60 for something like a KVP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have the KVP linear comp on my .40 AR pistol. Really like it and it looks better than the regular flash cans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cameramonkey View Post
    Thanks guys. I dont have the patience or the extra cash for a can and was seeing what I could do for a quick $20 accessory. I might be able to find $60 for something like a KVP.
    Donate plasma, save money for can. Problem solved.

User Info Menu

Without rehashing the details entirely, but I have seen a gizmo that slips over a flash hider to direct gas and sounds downrange to make it a perceived quieter shooting gun. An overpriced buy for me at least because it is designed to only fit one style of that manufacturer's brake, so I'd need to spend $90 just to get to the point I could use the gizmo so probably close to $200 delivered. Nope. Not worth it.

Would removing the flash hider and installing a thread protector achieve the same goal? After all there would be no more gasses directed to the sides, so it seems like a solid idea. And this particular rifle is a range toy, so its not like I NEED a flash hider. Its a standard birdcage so its not achieving any mechanical goal like preventing muzzle rise or reducing recoil.

Funny you should post this as I have been field testing one of these "sound divertors" this week. Once I compile all of my info I'll create a web page and post a link. The one I'm testing is 1/2x28 thread pitch universal in stainless and MSRP is about $75.
    Dan

Expert

User Info Menu

...Would removing the flash hider and installing a thread protector achieve the same goal?...
    Simply remove the flash hider and fire away to satisfy your curiosity, however, I definitely do not believe that my non-threaded 20" service rifle barrel is quieter than my 20" A2 with the flash hider.

User Info Menu

I have the Warden over my surefire dual port brake. It definitely works, no doubt about it.

The attachment is great since it uses their socom series QD system that is the same as their supressors.

It was definitely pricey though.. 134.00 for the brake and 159.00 for the warden. That's dang near 300.00 total with shipping. I think the Brake was definitely worth it, while I don't think I really needed to buy the warden I am happy with my purchase. But maybe that just because I've already bit the bullet and have it and recovered from the expense.

that being said I think Troy offers the claymore Ive heard that does a good job at taming the sound, your're looking at 65.00 for that.
    "A well regulated Militia,Being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    -The American People

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing"
    -Edmund Burke

"Wake up, stop chasing the Pokemon, grab your blaster, stick it in your belt and ignore the sign"
    - Gabe Suarez

User Info Menu

A given round out of a given barrel length is going to produce a given sound pressure level (SPL). Any device that's not a suppressor is simply (re)directing the SPL in a different direction(s). If you're in a "normal" sized room, they'll all be loud.

A linear comp/Pig would "help" if you're shooting outdoors under a roof if your baseline muzzle device vents sound/gas upwards and/or to the sides... but with an increase in perceived recoil. A bare muzzle would, IMO, be the worst scenario in all situations unless you like fireballs, and there's definitely something to be said for fireballs!

My question is what are you attempting to accomplish? The sound and pressure will always be there, and they'll be looking for things to bounce off of, be it the inside of a muzzle device, a metal roof, or the interior walls of a room. You can go deep down the rabbit hole of fluid dynamics, the inverse square law (which you may already be familiar with for lighting - works the same way for sound), and acoustic reflections (think "bounce cards" for lighting), or you can accept that the sound and pressure will always be there and buy a muzzle device/soft box/fresnel that will best suit your needs. ;-)
    I push back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast