Opinions Please: What is the best all around rifle if you were to own only one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWoodlee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    Southside Indy
    Hey all, I am looking to purchase a new rifle. I have shotguns, 10/22 and an AR but I want a good hunting rifle. I want a reliable and accurate but affordable suggestion. 30-06? .308?....

thanks in advance

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Accurate, reliable, and affordable. The unicorn of the gun world that everyone wants. Like a reloading powder that requires the gun to never be cleaned

Action preference and budget?

JWoodlee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2015
    Southside Indy
    Accurate, reliable, and affordable. The unicorn of the gun world that everyone wants. Like a reloading powder that requires the gun to never be cleaned

Action preference and budget?

I know this is a personal preference but I want some ideas from people with more experience for that first or only rifle. I have two kids in sports so I am limited for the time being.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There is a 760 in the classifieds for $500. That's a pump.

Im with Kut, I like Remington 700's. But Savage makes a nice rifle as well. What I would caution against is the bargain line of rifles, such as the Ruger American, Rem 783, Savage Axis. They are remarkable in the sense of what you get for the money, but for a couple hundred more, you can get one of those company's flagship bolt guns. I bought a used 700 stainless in .243 for $600 a couple of years back. Just be on the lookout.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm open on the action but I would prefer a bolt action. Budget around $400-500

Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, CZ 550, Mossberg MVP 7.62, Win Model 70, Savage Model 10, preferable with a detach mag. Personally I like detachable mags but sometimes they're not available at a given price, others like the Howa you can eventually get detach mags for them.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Given your parameters I'd cast my vote for savage. I had an 11vt, dicks sporting goods exclusive, in .308 and was thoroughly impressed. I think they come in between $500 and $600 and come with a scope.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Since you're probably intending to get something for deer, I'd definitely recommend something with a .243 or .308 diameter bore, both of which are now legal for deer in Indiana, as long as you hunt on private property and carry ten rounds max on your person.
    My own biased opinion would be to go and get a Ruger M77 Hawkeye if you want new, or (better) find a tang safety M77 in good condition, which I'm pretty sure you could get for right in your stated price bracket.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For that money and considering you have the basics already covered....
    The Remington 700 ADL in .243 should take care of most anything we'll ever run into in our area. I'm comfortable with it for everything in north America except for bear, elk, and moose. I could probably limit my uncomfort zone to bear if needed.
    I saw them on sale for right at $400 yesterday and considered picking up one. It included a scope. For that money I wouldn't count on the scope being great but it might be ok for a hunter.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok...I will swim upstream on this one. In a couple or areas.

1st If you are only going to get one for deer hunting I would agree the muzzle loader makes a lot of sense due to more season times but I do find them to be a pain in the butt. (not bashing the M.L. guys just saying my experience.)

2nd if you are insistent on a bolt gun take a look at the Thompson/Center Venture. They come with match grade barrels, fully adjustable triggers, guaranteed M.O.A. accuracy out of the box. They can be found in .308 on Buds and other sites for $400.00-$450.00. Yes I would stick with .308 over the .243 because it gives you more options for larger game if desired and ammo is EVERYWHERE.

If I was only going to get one I would choose a pistol round because then you still have the option of hunting public land if the need arises. Also keep in mind that the new regulation on H.P. rifles is a "trial" run. There is no telling what will happen, all it is going to take is one ass drilling a house or non hunter and the media trying to sensationalize it and the season will be gone and you are stuck selling cheap in a flooded market and buying a pistol round rifle.

I hunt with a 44 mag and currently have no intention in getting a .308 for deer hunting (may get one for fun but not deer). I have sat down and ran through my 20 years of hunting and only ONCE have I wanted a shot over 150 yards. 90% of my deer were less than 40 yards and the longest was 96 yards. On a side note if you follow some of my posts I did just pick up a Rossi M92 in 45 Colt for my daughter. It can be loaded to Ruger +P and guys are pushing 1,900 fps with a 250gr-300gr projectile. That turns it into a 200 yard gun with no problem. If everything pans out with this one it may make me rethink my 44 mag. and pick up a second Rossi 45 Colt.

Just my :twocents:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Thompson Center Venture or Dimension, Tikka T3, Ruger American, Some Savages (not familiar enough with models to know which), and even some of the lower end Howa rifles would all be pretty good.

Chambering: I'd go with either .243 or .308. Easy to source the ammo. Head to Walmart, buy ammo, go shooting. And if you ever get into hand loading, you can download either of those cartridges with light bullets for "varminting" or go heavier for much larger game.

For the eastern half of the country, either would be fine medicine for all but the largest Elk, moose, and brown bear. I'd suspect that .308 would be just fine for all of those as well. If I knew that I'd also be spending time out west hunting, I'd probably look into .270 or .30-06 or .308.

.308 is probably the sweet spot that you want for a "hunt anything in North America" type rifle.

If you just want to plink around and MAYBE hunt stuff - then think about .223 as well. Not deer legal in IN, of course, but it IS deer legal in several states. It will kill deer dead in all states even where it isn't legal.

The best thing you can do, however, is to also budget about the same cost of the rifle for a QUALITY scope. If you have a $700 budget, I'd get a $350 Ruger American and a $250 Vortex Scope and some good $100 rings.

Top Bottom