Pffft, gun riters. *tears of envy*

14355186_10154108315529825_3133487473475525025_n.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Hrmmmmmmmmmm
    I just hope this doesn't bode poorly for the main M77 line.

The demise of the 77 line has been approaching in slow motion for some time now, in my opinion. I fully expect the cheaper "American Rifle" will be the death of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they will continue to offer a heavy-as-hell varmint/tactical version, but the rest of their bolt rifle line will be ugly molded plastic hell. It's the new normal. The American industry wants products that keep the registers jingling, even in small dollar amounts, and nice (but expensive) walnut & steel guns that last forever don't play nice with that plan.

I'm just glad I got my 77s when I could. They really are great guns.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The demise of the 77 line has been approaching in slow motion for some time now, in my opinion. I fully expect the cheaper "American Rifle" will be the death of it. I wouldn't be surprised if they will continue to offer a heavy-as-hell varmint/tactical version, but the rest of their bolt rifle line will be ugly molded plastic hell. It's the new normal. The American industry wants products that keep the registers jingling, even in small dollar amounts, and nice (but expensive) walnut & steel guns that last forever don't play nice with that plan.

I'm just glad I got my 77s when I could. They really are great guns.

Me and you both, brother.
    I'm still pumped that I'll finally be taking my beautiful walnut stocked tang safety M77 into the woods for deer for the very first time in November.
    I just hope you're wrong about the American and other plastic fantastic offerings killing off the M77, even though my opinion is that the MKII and the current Hawkey versions aren't quite as good as the tang safety versions, largely because the latter incarnation had its stock designed by one Len Brownell.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like wood and metal riles best and this announcement made me sad. I haven't had time nor money to buy these rifles, would like a 357 at least, so I amgoing to check and see though I am likely too late. I always wanted an M77

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    was able to find a nice, wood stock M77 in .44 mag today. Paying for it on Monday which is Pay Day. No one in the two shops I checked knew it was being temporarily discontinued. I wanted one in 357 but the only one that was around was plastic stocked. They checked their suppliers for metoo,not even the plastic was available.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Looks like the good old 77's are going the way of the Marlin camp 9. They will turn into one of those unicorns that you're always "sort-of hunting for."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's the new normal. The American industry wants products that keep the registers jingling, even in small dollar amounts, and nice (but expensive) walnut & steel guns that last forever don't play nice with that plan.

The American industry? Aw, heck no.

It's the end user. The customer wants it cheap above all else. Plastic craptastic guns fill that bill.

People will use $40 in gas to save $10. "Deals" drive American firearm choice, not quality.

Move down market, cut costs, expand margins. Smart move by Ruger!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I think someone more famous than me said "I've got mine". Not a 77/357, but the 22 and 44. They discontinued the 44 in the past for several years. Well we will see.

Maybe a 44 in the RAR LINE-up?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I love walnut, but hunt my plastic guns with no mercy. Of course they look new.
    Most of my walnut stock damage comes at the cleaning station (kitchen table).
    Go figure.

Some times a big scratch will force the sale of an item.
    Honest wear/dings don't bother me. But a big rip..............yeah, I'd have to get a new stock.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    It's kind of interesting. I think so anyway.

The 77/44 had been on the market for a few years, then they discontinued it. I hadn't bought one yet, and put it out of my mind for much the same reason as FarmDad just mentioned. Figured the price would just be too high for a discontinued model on the second hand market!

Then Indiana announced they were allowing PCRs of various flavored, to include the .357 and .44 Magnums. Guess what! A couple of years later - Ruger re-releases the 77/44 and soon thereafter the 77/357.

So, I bought a 77/44.

Fast forward to this year. INDOR is allowing limited use of rifles for deer hunting. And Ruger discontinues the 77/44 and 77/357. Coincidence you say? Come on! Let's go fo a full blown CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!! ������

Actually, I hope it's clearing the way for Ruger to offer RARs in various pistol calibers, but only time will tell.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The American industry? Aw, heck no.

It's the end user. The customer wants it cheap above all else. Plastic craptastic guns fill that bill.

People will use $40 in gas to save $10. "Deals" drive American firearm choice, not quality.

Move down market, cut costs, expand margins. Smart move by Ruger!

True words.

I remember that there were a few people that had black, stamped sheet metal "combat guns" but they were kind of considered on the fringe. Upper grade Wincheter model 70's, customs that were actually produced by Roy Weatherby, Beautiful perfect bluing that was so deep it looked like glass. Gracefully carved stocks of the kinds of woods that would make a violin maker jealous. Those were what was in the most desired rack at the gun stores. Of course economics often dictated hunting grade Remingtons and Winchesters and for those who had less income there were Savages. I have only been to a couple of stores in the last 10 years that even have any of those fine grade rifles. People in business have to say in business, and to do that, they stock what people want to buy. Look at what is on the display racks today, that is that is selling. If people were buying the great high end bolt actions, I am sure Ruger would be willing to produce all we want.

Top Bottom