• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Was recently looking at Anderson's webpage for a budget barrel and noticed these:

https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/16-223-wylde-stainless-heavy-barrel-with-spiral-flutes/

Look very similar to these:

7 1/2" AR-15 Pistol Barrel, Stainless Steel

Anderson doesn't say much about the barrel, Delta Team Tactical pushes "Davidson Defense" Barrels but then these are said to be made by "XX-treme Barrel Co. for Davidson Defense using an ER Shaw Blank!

And just for kicks we can add PSA and any other "budget" minded barrels out there you may know to this discussion.

Does anyone know where and who is actually turning these out? There's a lot of "Made in the USA" being thrown around.....

Thoughts and or 1st hand experience?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No idea about the ones you've mentioned.
    I've used a bit of the Anderson and PSA offerings, but few barrels, and those were all low-end stock barrels.

That said, I have used these people DEZ Arms, Inc. a few times, with great success as far as I'm concerned.
    Not too much more than what you are looking at, and they claim match grade.
    I believe they also produce their own products.

I don't shoot for competition. Just for fun, or hunting.
    Give them a call and ask any questions you might have.

If Sherry can't answer it, she'll find someone who can.
    Good people.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    FWIW

Had some time this morning and made some calls, this was general information questions and I did not ask any question more than once since I wasn't about to be "that guy" over the phone....

Anderson Arms: call answered quickly, person very nice, he told me ALL Anderson barrels are made by a 3rd party and the only info he had available was the description listed on his screen which was the same as what is on line.

Bear Creek Arsenal: call answered quickly, person very nice, she could not answer my questions but put me on a short hold twice to get the answers. I was told the barrels are made completely in house. When I asked who's blanks they use she put me on hold the 2nd time and came back with the answer that they (BCA) starts with the raw rod and rifle, chamber, profile.. the whole 9 yards in house.

Wilson Combat: call answered quickly, person very nice, he told me the barrels are made in house. When I asked who's blanks they use and what exactly was done in house he could not answer. He was honest and said he didn't know at what point they (WC) began the in house barrel work and he did not know if they started with someone else's blanks or they did all the work in house.

Delta Team Tactical, which markets Davidson Barrels and XX-Treme Barrel Co.: tried to call SEVERAL times, phone # was not working, went straight to busy signal and or hung up as soon as dialed. Tried to look up Davidson Barrels and XX-Treme Barrel Co. on line, nothing, all roads straight back to DTT webpage

Palmetto State Arms: on hold for 12 minutes, person very nice, she told me that ALL PSA barrels are made by a 3rd party vendor to PSA specs for the given product line. When I asked if she could say who the 3rd party vendor was she stated it was proprietary.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I would mention this barrel to add in your mix...

AR-Stoner Barrel AR-15 223 Remington (Wylde) Medium Contour 1 8 Twist

Midway gets both positive and neg reps for their 'AR Stoner' house brand.

Anyway, we've had great luck with this barrel. 416 SS, Wylde, 5R, 1-8", and mid gas. Sub moa all day long with the right loads. Can't beat it for the price of a fluted SS barrel. Its not a $3-400+ barrel but it works well.

YMMV.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    When I was in the market, the PSA stuff I was interested in specifically said they were made by FN using FN's proprietary "machine gun steel," but many of PSA's other offerings at the time did not have any of this info in the description. My stuff has FN proof marks on the barrel (made at their South Carolina facility). I do not know if PSA still uses FN for any of their barrels.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    FWIW

Bear Creek Arsenal: call answered quickly, person very nice, she could not answer my questions but put me on a short hold twice to get the answers. I was told the barrels are made completely in house. When I asked who's blanks they use she put me on hold the 2nd time and came back with the answer that they (BCA) starts with the raw rod and rifle, chamber, profile.. the whole 9 yards in house.

I'm impressed that BCA is doing that - not many companies have the $, time, space, equipment, and technical expertise to do it all themselves. I would be interested in hearing about the performance of their barrels if you end up choosing their product.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd stick with the well known brands personally. You are in Green Mountain price territory already. Why not buy a known quantity instead of gambling? But that's just me. Whatever floats your boat.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'd stick with the well known brands personally. You are in Green Mountain price territory already. Why not buy a known quantity instead of gambling? But that's just me. Whatever floats your boat.

It's funny you mention them as they don't sell a barrel like I'm looking for. 16" SS .223wylde Heavy 1:8.
    They do have an unfinished, extensioned, 223 wylde chambered, 17", 1:8 barrel. I have e-mailed allen m to see how much it would cost to finish the barrel. But factor in the shipping, time and added expense it will be interesting.

BTW. the blank is $110 b4 shipping
    GM-B4 21" .223 Wylde Gunsmith Edition - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

the blank is

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was in the market, the PSA stuff I was interested in specifically said they were made by FN using FN's proprietary "machine gun steel," but many of PSA's other offerings at the time did not have any of this info in the description. My stuff has FN proof marks on the barrel (made at their South Carolina facility). I do not know if PSA still uses FN for any of their barrels.
    PSA's FN barrels/uppers will say CHF in the description. They do still have them

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Point was, I'd go with a known quantity. Not specifically GM. For $150, you can get a good barrel from a good, known, manufacturer.

It's funny you mention them as they don't sell a barrel like I'm looking for. 16" SS .223wylde Heavy 1:8.
    They do have an unfinished, extensioned, 223 wylde chambered, 17", 1:8 barrel. I have e-mailed allen m to see how much it would cost to finish the barrel. But factor in the shipping, time and added expense it will be interesting.

BTW. the blank is $110 b4 shipping
    GM-B4 21" .223 Wylde Gunsmith Edition - Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co.

the blank is

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    There's a reason not many manufacturers make the specific barrel you're wanting. Why in the world would you want a 16" heavy barrel AR? If you're going to make an AR into a fat pig that's not handy, at least get a longer barrel so you can get decent enough velocity out of 223/556 to take advantage of it. By using that ridiculous barrel profile, the rifle is no longer handy, and no longer necessitates a shorter barrel.

Not only that, those GM barrels, even if not exactly what you THINK you want, are almost certain to be more accurate than these no name porky barrels you're asking about. And the GM barrels will perform better in almost every aspect.

Unless your reasoning is that you just want what you want. In which case, get whatever blingtastic janky barrel you feel like.

And did you read the description of that barrel on the websites you linked? Sounds like a joke.
    Made By and Cryo treated By XX-Treme barrel company Using a E.R Shaw Blank For Davidson Defense
    M4 Polished feedramps to aid in feeding, Shoots the 5.56 Or .223 REM ammunition Flawlessly
    This barrel is not your run of the mill barrel.
    Ultra Match Grade Serial Numbered Barrel ( For Guaranteed Genuine Product ID)
    Lots of lol and fail in there

So for $150 what known manufacturer makes a barrel to my need? I'm not interested in any other profile.

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    There's a reason not many manufacturers make the specific barrel you're wanting. Why in the world would you want a 16" heavy barrel AR? If you're going to make an AR into a fat pig that's not handy, at least get a longer barrel so you can get decent enough velocity out of 223/556 to take advantage of it. By using that ridiculous barrel profile, the rifle is no longer handy, and no longer necessitates a shorter barrel.

Not only that, those GM barrels, even if not exactly what you THINK you want, are almost certain to be more accurate than these no name porky barrels you're asking about. And the GM barrels will perform better in almost every aspect.

Unless your reasoning is that you just want what you want. In which case, get whatever blingtastic janky barrel you feel like.

And did you read the description of that barrel on the websites you linked? Sounds like a joke.
    Made By and Cryo treated By XX-Treme barrel company Using a E.R Shaw Blank For Davidson Defense
    M4 Polished feedramps to aid in feeding, Shoots the 5.56 Or .223 REM ammunition Flawlessly
    I'll respond to this later when I have more time. I just want to preserve this post b4 it gets edited anymore

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Never skimp on a barrel. For 225 right now, you could have a larue stealth that's a heavy profile with 1/8 twist in 16", and it's the best barrel that can be had for the money.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Normally, they go on sale for under $200 near black Friday if you can wait. I have one, and I'm extremely happy with it. And the Larue stealth profile is actually a good usable profile as opposed to those awful looking barrels in the OP.

The only thing I dislike is that Larue barrels are typically extremely over gassed. And they have an odd dimple spacing on the bottom of the barrel. So I got a great deal on the barrel, but had to spend over $100 on an adjustable gas block with the right dimple spacing from SLR to turn the gas down. But that rifle is a super sweet shooter now.

Never skimp on a barrel. For 225 right now, you could have a larue stealth that's a heavy profile with 1/8 twist in 16", and it's the best barrel that can be had for the money.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    A good quality lighter profile barrel is better than a cheapo bull barrel, lots of comparisons over the years saying this, though YMMV. I'd love to have a WOA bull barrel some day of the 26" variety.... only for my own amusement really. They dont have EXACTLY what you want, but if going for a really heavy barrel, id rather know your extra weight was going to perform well anyway.

FWIW, I bought 2 BCA barrels about two years ago. I found a sale and picked up a 16" m4 profile and 10.5" heavy barrel SS barrel (hate the profile, bought it on a whim..) for like 60$ a piece. The m4 barrel shot well enough, and i have yet to shoot the 10.5" bbl. Fit/finish was good on both though.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana

1st lets address your comment, "not many manufacturers make the specific barrel you're wanting".

You even go on to say, "Why in the world would you want a 16" heavy barrel AR".

Then you start with the diarrhea of the mouth, "If you're going to make an AR into a fat pig that's not handy, at least get a longer barrel so you can get decent enough velocity out of 223/556 to take advantage of it. By using that ridiculous barrel profile, the rifle is no longer handy, and no longer necessitates a shorter barrel.

So apparently you think the specific barrel I'm looking for, a 16" HB with a 1:8twist and 223wylde chamber, is some type of unicorn that is so ridiculous in application that hardly anyone makes it. Well, apparently your memo on that point failed to hit some desks in the firearms world:

https://danieldefense.com/16-mid-length-1-7-s2w-profile.html

Super Sniper Barrel | .223 Wylde | 18 | Stainless-http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...tegory_id=274&CFID=580207482&CFTOKEN=18654471

https://www.cmmginc.com/shop/barrel-sub-assm-16-1-ht-416ss-5-56mm/

BCM 16" Recce Barrel with Mid Length Gas

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/223-5-56-predator-barrel-1-8-twist-with-gas-manifold-850.html

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-ultramatchtm-223-wylde-barrel-16

I stopped after 7 simply because I'd be here all day pasting links to barrels that are a, " fat pig that's not handy, ridiculous barrel profile, no longer handy.".

Lets move on to, "even if not exactly what you THINK you want, are almost certain to be more accurate than these no name porky barrels you're asking about."
    This thread began life about who the manufacturer was of certain barrels and some opinions. All was well with your first two posts, then your third post is when things went twilight zone and contained the quote above. My use of the barrel was never part of thread. In addition, who are you to question anyone here for any reason, let alone talk down the way you do to them? Why don't you try and tell me what I should be thinking. But after reading several of your posts in other threads it's easy to see, that's just who you are, THAT GUY.

And lets finish icing this cake with this gem from your keyboard, "Unless your reasoning is that you just want what you want. In which case, get whatever blingtastic janky barrel you feel like."

So you acknowledge the fact that people can do what they want for whatever reason they want but then cut down the idea by calling it in your opinion, "blingtastic and janky".
    You sir are a great asset to the INGO community. I'm glad that anyone who doesn't see things the way you think they should be get told how it is. How any forward progress is made in any thread that you haven't blessed with your gospel is beyond me.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I don't know if you'd mind fluting but this one MASdeffense would be a good one 16" .223 WYLDE 1x8 STRAIGHT FLUTED STAINLESS STEEL BARREL | MAS Defense Great company to deal with also and they put out a great product. Mario the owner is super nice guy and they are all willing to go above an beyond to answer questions and help out. I buy most if not all my AR stuff from them.

I don't mind the fluting at all. More important is the build quality. If I get a chance I'll call on Monday and ask where the barrel comes from. If you look closely it has the same markings as this BCA one which is why I'm curious if in fact BCA is the supplier for all these "budget" barrels out there.

AR-15 Barrel: 16" Heavy Barrel, W/ 1-9 Twist, .223 Wylde, Stainless FInish

A good quality lighter profile barrel is better than a cheapo bull barrel, lots of comparisons over the years saying this, though YMMV. I'd love to have a WOA bull barrel some day of the 26" variety.... only for my own amusement really. They dont have EXACTLY what you want, but if going for a really heavy barrel, id rather know your extra weight was going to perform well anyway.

FWIW, I bought 2 BCA barrels about two years ago. I found a sale and picked up a 16" m4 profile and 10.5" heavy barrel SS barrel (hate the profile, bought it on a whim..) for like 60$ a piece. The m4 barrel shot well enough, and i have yet to shoot the 10.5" bbl. Fit/finish was good on both though.

The weight of the barrel in my application is simply for the weight. I'm going as "pig" as I can. I'm leaning toward the BCA simply to see what a sub $100 barrel can do when put to the test. I'd be putting a gas block on it that is nearly the same price! lol

I wish BCA, everyone for that matter, would just say who's parts are what. But that would take the fun out of paying the price for them.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I don't mind the fluting at all. More important is the build quality. If I get a chance I'll call on Monday and ask where the barrel comes from. If you look closely it has the same markings as this BCA one which is why I'm curious if in fact BCA is the supplier for all these "budget" barrels out there.

AR-15 Barrel: 16" Heavy Barrel, W/ 1-9 Twist, .223 Wylde, Stainless FInish

I wish BCA, everyone for that matter, would just say who's parts are what. But that would take the fun out of paying the price for them.

Yea I cant really say for sure were they come from, all I know if performance is very good and well worth the money. Defiantly let us know what you find out!

Top Bottom