• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Looking for feedback on this rifle, anyone have one? I'd like to get something that is a small bolt gun, something my teen granddaughter could shoot. I have a NIB 300 upper that I never use, just not my thing. Pros and cons on this gun?

I did a search but didn't find any real info.

Thanks in advance.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your talking about the Ruger American Ranch rifle in 300blk they are a very nice rifle for the money. They shoot very well and are pretty dang accurate as well. If its something your looking at for your daughter also don't forget about 223/5.56 as it would also be a great option for her as well as being cheaper for her to shoot and allow her more practice. I had that same Ruger American Ranch in the 5.56 version and I cant praise it enough on accuracy and performance and the overall length and weight would be perfect for a lady to use. I did a review of that model on my YouTube channel if you'd like to check it out, might you a little more info on the platform.

[video=youtube;FcEMzrjt7Uk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcEMzrjt7Uk[/video]

oDbCo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 18, 2016
    Franklin/Greenwood
    I have a rimfire American. Can't say I'm too impressed. The bolt is very stiff for a modern bolt rifle, but I have never handled a centerfire model of the firearm. Have you looked into the T/C compass? I saw one the other day in a gun shop near me. Very smooth bolt and I believe the price point on the American and the Compass are similar.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the input. I also have the American in rimfire, and it's ok for the price. What I was really looking for was someone who had this in the 300, it's accuracy, etc. Short, light, threaded for a brake, good trigger are all attributes. Not looking for a 223 or another AR.

BTW, good video. If the Blackout gives as good accuracy, I'd be happy with it.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I've had one for about a year and a half now. I've been very happy with it in regards to both accuracy and reliability. It will group right a an inch at 100 yards with 125 and 130 grain bullets. I have not tried any subsonic loads with heavier bullets. It has taken coyotes, hogs and deer with no problems. Mine has a 1x4 Leupold on it.

I'm looking to buy another one soon as my wife has decided this is now her new favorite rifle after using it last deer season.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I've had one for about a year and a half now. I've been very happy with it in regards to both accuracy and reliability. It will group right a an inch at 100 yards with 125 and 130 grain bullets. I have not tried any subsonic loads with heavier bullets. It has taken coyotes, hogs and deer with no problems. Mine has a 1x4 Leupold on it.

I'm looking to buy another one soon as my wife has decided this is now her new favorite rifle after using it last deer season.

Cool, I too am going with a 1X4 as it should be enough.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I ended up with the Ruger American Compact in the 300 BLK. Gotta admit, it's really handy to handle, and my 15 yo granddaughter loves it. Good accuracy with the light bullets. I wrote Hornady about recommended bullets for deer, they suggested a flat nose HP like for the 30-30. Needs to be able to expand at 2000 fps, most 30 cal bullets won't do that unless they're zombie bullets and those are too frangible for deer (per Hornady). Anyone have repeated success on deer with this round? What bullet/load?

Last edited:

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I used an AR (Windham) with a 110 grain Zombie Z-Max 300 BLK on a nice 6 point whitetail last November. It was a 63 yard shot and the deer only took a few steps and fell over dead.

My wife has a Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK topped with a 3 X 9 Leupold and loves it, although she has yet to shoot a deer or wild pig with it.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Per Ruger on the American Ranch rifle in 300BO. "Stay away from Remington and Barnes ammunition.

Also, if your having trouble with the .223/300 magazine just give em a call and they will send a new one.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I ended up with the Ruger American Compact in the 300 BLK. Gotta admit, it's really handy to handle, and my 15 yo granddaughter loves it. Good accuracy with the light bullets. I wrote Hornady about recommended bullets for deer, they suggested a flat nose HP like for the 30-30. Needs to be able to expand at 2000 fps, most 30 cal bullets won't do that unless they're zombie bullets and those are too frangible for deer (per Hornady). Anyone have repeated success on deer with this round? What bullet/load?

That's super interesting to me. I was unaware. I've shot them with 125's no problem. They weren't hollow points though. I think I'd use one of the barns offerings in confidence too. I personally would not have considered using a flat nose HP, but I also won't argue with anything Hornady says.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Per Ruger on the American Ranch rifle in 300BO. "Stay away from Remington and Barnes ammunition.

Also, if your having trouble with the .223/300 magazine just give em a call and they will send a new one.
    Any idea why they recommended against that ammo?

Top Bottom