Video on how a M16 trigger, full auto and 3 rd burst works.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    After putting my first AR together, I figured out how the semi auto trigger works. That got me to wondering how the full auto and more specifically the 3 round burst trigger systems work. A little research on Youtube and I found a great video on how they work.

[video=youtube_share;cxwPEL8winI]http://youtu.be/cxwPEL8winI[/video]

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I like this video, I watched one similar once but this is much better! I always understood how full auto worked, but the 3round burst was like magic go me!

I do know that if you fire say 2 rounds on 3round burst without letting it cycle through you get 1 round on the next pull because it doesn't reset. Is that still true today with issued 3round burst m4's? Or is there a different setup than the stoner configuration diminstrated here.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I like this video, I watched one similar once but this is much better! I always understood how full auto worked, but the 3round burst was like magic go me!

I do know that if you fire say 2 rounds on 3round burst without letting it cycle through you get 1 round on the next pull because it doesn't reset. Is that still true today with issued 3round burst m4's? Or is there a different setup than the stoner configuration diminstrated here.

Not sure about that. The MP5 video is cool and points out how it gets around the unfired rounds in burst unlike the Stoner trigger.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You guys won't like the 3 round burst. In semi depending on which notch the cog is in, you get a different trigger pull weight.

There's that, and you blow away ammo at a ridiculous rate. I never live-fired 3 round burst, just Miles gear with blanks. Fun?? Oh yeah! Changing mags really quick? Oh yeah!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    That was really a great explanation, but it drove me crazy how he kept zooming in and out while he was talking. Thanks for posting this, very informative.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Very cool, thanks for posting this up. Do you have detailed drawings of those parts that you can post as well?......... Just kidding.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I found a new video on this same subject that includes the entire rifle.

[video=youtube_share;wMIBUIN30yU]http://youtu.be/wMIBUIN30yU[/video]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You guys won't like the 3 round burst. In semi depending on which notch the cog is in, you get a different trigger pull weight.

So much this. And the burst is an epic fail for other reasons. First, can you aim all three shots? No, it's too fast. You can only aim individual shots in semi auto. And can you lay down suppressing fire? Nope, it's not a machine gun.

Honestly, for a typical rifleman in an infantry application, a quality semi auto is close to ideal. If you need supressing fire, a belt-fed gun is the right tool for that job. And a platoon of semi autos can supress pretty well, believe it or not.

So really, there's no advantage to a 3-shot burst. Heck, a binary trigger would be a MASSIVE improvement over 3-rd burst.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Three round burst IMO is worthless unless you train on burst all the time, I do not know anyone who does. Trigger control is difficult at best if you don’t hold the trigger back long enough the rifle will fire one round then two then three the trigger pull also changes. It can really screw you up if you are used to controlled pairs and effective semi-auto fire. I have trained with three round burst and found that is not effective in CQB and it is also highly inaccurate.
    Full auto has a place for final protective fire, trench clearance and a few other situations.

BTW

All M16’s are Full Auto after about 10 Magazines of rapid fire!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    So much this. And the burst is an epic fail for other reasons. First, can you aim all three shots? No, it's too fast. You can only aim individual shots in semi auto. And can you lay down suppressing fire? Nope, it's not a machine gun.

Honestly, for a typical rifleman in an infantry application, a quality semi auto is close to ideal. If you need supressing fire, a belt-fed gun is the right tool for that job. And a platoon of semi autos can supress pretty well, believe it or not.

So really, there's no advantage to a 3-shot burst. Heck, a binary trigger would be a MASSIVE improvement over 3-rd burst.

From a US Marine instructor...
    The 3 shot burst is pretty effective on night targets/night fire.
    While it simply controls rate of ammo expenditure, conserving ammo when people are scared and the adrenaline rush takes over, it's not optimum by any circumstances.

In night fire people tend to shoot low most often, while some shoot way too high.
    A 3 round burst uses the muzzle rise to increase hit rates.
    Not much you can do about shooting over a target except training, but that sometimes goes out the window along with fire control.
    The 3 shot burst *Tries* to compensate, nothing more or less.

Not everyone has the control AND experience to not hold the trigger down in full auto when they are crapping their pants at the same time in a gunfight.
    Keep in mind I've seen hard core operators forget night mags with tracers in the daytime giving away firing positions, I've seen instructors dump mags on full auto and be slow to realize the bolt locked back...
    It's a 'Fog Of War' thing.

I trained with full auto, 3 shot burst, but the more experience you get, the less you use either.
    I still practice some, and I have yet to break the double tap habit, still doing it WAY too often when I should be focusing on fundamentals, practice being about fundamentals and not particularly combat skills.

I even caught myself double tapping a coyote a couple years back, hard habit to break after 16 years. Not much left of a coyote after two .308 rounds.
    It's funny, I only do that with an AR, I don't double tap with a straight stock rifle, probably because I never really trained doing doubles with anything straight stocked, muscle memory getting the best of me...

Ever shoot with a competitive semi-auto pistol shooter?
    They seem to have issues stopping at 5 rounds! They HAMMER targets over & over again like the ammo fairy is a close personal friend of theirs!
    I find that VERY annoying...

Top Bottom