• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Looking to get my first rifle that does not say "AR" in front of the name, and I am interested in the .308 as a decent target rifle that can also possibly double as a hunting rifle.

This whole world is new to me, although as a kid and teen, we used to shoot .22 rifles with my dad. At that time, I really just shot whatever was placed in our hands at the time, but mostly small bolt action, and one nice lever gun that we always fought over.

Anyway, I am not in any real hurry as I am just starting to look at my options.

I am thinking something in the 30 caliber range is where I am looking, so I have been reading up on the .308, 30-06 and 30-30 calibers, and the .308 seems like a good choice from an economics perspective, accuracy, and the ability to double as a hunting gun. Is this a fair assessment?

I think I want a good bolt-action rifle, and it looks like the Remington 700 series is well regarded in the $1,000 +/- range. What else should I be looking at? Savage? Mossberg? Springfield?

For my first gun, I want to focus on punching paper, and would like something that will out-shoot my skills, but I don't need to over spend either.

I would love to get the cost down in the $500-800 range, but I don't want to get something that will disappoint from an accuracy perspective. I know I will need to add a scope as well, so that cost does not include scope or sling, etc.

Thanks in advance.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Savage axis II isn't bad for the money either. Has the accutrigger and usually comes with scope. Sell the scope that comes with and upgrade to a Leopold or the likes. Excellent shooter under $400 as it sits

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Anything in the $600 and below range new you will likely need to replace the stock as most are cheap plastic and just don't let the rifle shoot as well as it could. The Ruger American Predator are great rifles for around $400 but the stock is lacking. At the top of your budget I would suggest the Tikka T3X compact tactical or Remington 700 5R both right around the $1k mark.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I picked up a Howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. Changed the Hogue stock to a Bell and Carlson, bedded the action, adjusted the factory trigger and added some glass. It shoots sub-MOA with match ammo or my 168 gr. AMAX hand loads. I can't recommend them enough. The action is smooth as glass from the factory.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    For the money and accuracy out of the box it really is tough to beat a Savage, here are two different models that may be what your looking for. Both of these rifle have amazing accuracy out of the box, here is a couple review vids if you'd like to check them out!

Here is the Savage FCP-SR it has a threaded fluted heavy barrel in 308, also comes with the Accutrigger and Accustock. This rifle can be had for under the $650 mark and the accustock that this one comes with is a vast improvement over the regular factory stock.
    [video=youtube;cQmOyd2dmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQmOyd2dmbc&t=1s[/video]

Here is a Savage Hog Hunter in 308, this one has a medium taper barrel that's threaded and also includes the Accutrigger. this one comes with just a regular stock, but is good enough to get you started. This rifle can be for less than $500 new in most cases and is a great rifle to build off of for no more than it costs to get started with one.
    [video=youtube;eZC7hH0rfhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZC7hH0rfhI&t=1s[/video]

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    So many great suggestions, thank you everyone. I now need to spend some time looking at all of these.

I am not going to be buying anything until the first of the year due to Christmas spending, plus I get my yearly bonus in January. I am starting my search now so I can do my homework and be prepared when the funding is available.

I have to admit that I do love the look of the wood stocks (like the CZ that Kirk linked to).

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My Remington 700 .308 has been a great do-it-all rifle for me. I can shoot all day comfortably, and the ability to stretch out while hunting is great. Plus the aftermarket options are endless. And it's just a stock 700 AAC-SD in a magpul stock, but it is well under MOA.
    attachment.php

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    My Remington 700 .308 has been a great do-it-all rifle for me. I can shoot all day comfortably, and the ability to stretch out while hunting is great. Plus the aftermarket options are endless. And it's just a stock 700 AAC-SD in a magpul stock, but it is well under MOA.
    attachment.php

I've seen pictures of this rife a couple times now and I think I will have one like it in the near future. Thank you??? Lol

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Remington is hit and miss. If it's gonna double as a good accurate target rifle and still be light enough for hunting then the real answer is Tikka T3. Sako barrels and butter smooth actions

Top Bottom