• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I couple of weeks ago I posted pics of my Dreyse M1862 Zundnadelgewehr. Some asked for more specifics on making the cartridges for this old bolt gun. So here is that.

31166858996_3e42485303_z.jpg

These are the mandrels that I made from 5/8" steel bar to create the papier Mache sabot for the 62mm lead ball the I used for the cartridge.

31166860446_ffb9b4b71a_z.jpg

I used 65 grains of Pyrodex and I probably go a bit anal with the musket cap. I use a formula that also works reliably in my Chassepot rifle, that is I fill the cap with a toy rifle cap (plastic) and some fffg Swiss BP and cover with paper circle. This is a tip (the plastic cap) that someone on the internet posted some time ago and so far it is 100% for me. The cap is inserted into the end of the sabot. The cartridge sleeve is created with 92 lb computer paper inner layer and onion skin parchment paper outer layer. In goes the powder, in goes the sabot, in goes the lead ball, and finally a twist and tie and you have it.

Now if you think this is labor and time consuming you would be correct. Only a few idiots such as myself do it but then again if you want to be the only person at the range shooting such a weapon that is what is required. psyko

Rescuerandy2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2018
    Miami
    Sabots

Good Afternoon,

Would like more details on sabot tools. Been making them from wooden dowels and would love to be a bit more authentic.

Thanks,
    Randy

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Sabots for Dreyse needle fire rifle

Good Afternoon,

Would like more details on sabot tools. Been making them from wooden dowels and would love to be a bit more authentic.

Thanks,
    Randy

I turned my sabot forms to size on my lathe and used papier mache to create the sabots. This seems to work well as they fly so far down range that I can’t locate them anywhere close to my shooting position. They are pretty dense therefore I doubt that they completely burn but I don’t create a mess of debris when firing either. I first turned a wooden plug shaped with a rounded nose to fit my bore just as I wanted the final cartridge to be sized. Then all cartridge and sabot dimensions came from that measurement. The weapon shoots pretty well with this set up but my Chassepot out shoots it by a bunch!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think this is all rather awesome!

I'm curious, how much time does it take you to make a cartridge?

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I think this is all rather awesome!

I'm curious, how much time does it take you to make a cartridge?

It takes more time to form the sabots and cut the paper to shape, but each cartridge when all components are present only take maybe 10 minutes or so to create. Yes, that adds up but it does keep me off the streets!

Top Bottom