• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    My friend and myself are both in the market for our first .308 ar platform rifles. Suggestions and specifically price/vs what bells and whistles said rifle comes with... essentially best bang for the buck. Optics aren't important at this time but I do know I don't want a fixed front sight. Both of us will be scoping them eventually mine will be a paper puncher and he's a hunter and wants to use it for paper and deer. Thanks for the input and opinions fellas

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Avoid the PSA one. Too many issues.

What issues specifically? Is it all of their rifles or just got one made on a Friday?

I'm interested in this too. I've got a PSA that I built from a kit (my first AR build actually) and couldn't be happier with it. It's nothing fancy but plenty accurate for my use and has been 100% reliable so far. :dunno:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Google it. Tons of complaints.

on a personal level, the one I have experience with pooped the bed twice now.

first time out, the ejector sheared off on the first magazine. Sent the bcg back to psa and they replaced the ejector. Took it out this weekend- failure to go into battery, light primer strikes and failure to extract. The extractor was tearing the heck out of casings but wasn't able to get them out of the chamber.

4 different mags and 3 types of ammo and not a single round fired downrange.

everyone let's out a lemon. Im hoping PSA makes this right for my buddy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Google it. Tons of complaints.

on a personal level, the one I have experience with pooped the bed twice now.

first time out, the ejector sheared off on the first magazine. Sent the bcg back to psa and they replaced the ejector. Took it out this weekend- failure to go into battery, light primer strikes and failure to extract. The extractor was tearing the heck out of casings but wasn't able to get them out of the chamber.

4 different mags and 3 types of ammo and not a single round fired downrange.

everyone let's out a lemon. Im hoping PSA makes this right for my buddy

Wow... Yeah I can see how that would sour a person on them! But like I said, no complaints with mine so far, but then again I haven't put thousands of rounds through it (not even close), so I guess I will wait and see.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My brother and I have both recently built the PSA PA10 and have had ZERO issues with them.
    That said, I also have a gen I DPMS LRT SASS .308 and that thing is SWEEEET!
    It's heavy, but I really do like them both, but I'm sure the DPMS is better quality.

I'll not be getting rid of my PA10 though. Nothing wrong with it. It runs as advertised, was MUCH less expensive than the DPMS, and I won't mind beating around in the brush with it.

Brother took a doe with his on opening weekend. About a 40 yard shot.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Wow... Yeah I can see how that would sour a person on them! But like I said, no complaints with mine so far, but then again I haven't put thousands of rounds through it (not even close), so I guess I will wait and see.

I know PSA had issues when the rifle was released but they also had issues with their freedom line and its gtg. Seems my buddy got a lemon :(

im hoping they take the whole gun back and replace every single part except for the lower.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I like POF P308s, have a Gen 3 with a Gen 4 on order.

What price point are you looking to stay at?

I have a Gen 3 as well. Can't say enough good things about it. with 175gr Gold Medal Match it shoots a ragged hole at 94 yards (the longest I can currently shoot on my property). I am hoping to get out to some of the longer ranges here in Indiana next year to stretch its legs.

Not cheap, most everything is proprietary, the capabilities of the gun make you spend ridiculous amounts of money on accessories, but the gun is AMAZING

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I have a POF 308 also....great rifle, but it is a tad spendy and as already mentioned the parts are proprietary which I don't see as a big deal, as you have to buy parts anyway, so buy your spare parts and be done.

I like a piston in a AR10...

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    The only negative I've heard about the PSA's was that the early ones had an issue with Geissele triggers. I bet that's ben fixed. If I were building today, I wouldn't run away from PSA. If I were buying a completed AR-10/SR-25 I'd be open to trying a DPMS. I look at it like I look at AR-15's; the name on the receiver is probably one of the least important elements... yes, you're more likely to get an "in spec" receiver/firearm from some other brands, but you'll pay more. Like I did... but I think a PSA or a DPMS would be a perfectly serviceable rifle for the OP, and most people in general.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Check out the G2 lineup from dpms. I have the ap4 model and don't have any complaints from it. The g2 has a lot of nice upgrades over their standard 308 rifles. Mine has a Midwest industries rail and hardly weighs any more than your standard ar. Recoil is very manageable

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Picked up a DPMS GII SASS and am very pleased with it. Recoil is not bad (no stipple bruising like I had with a Savage bolt action) and it comes with MBUIS. I dropped a PA prism 5x scope on it and found that, even though I can hit my smaller steel targets, it isn't a good idea to shoot them because they will spin around their support a couple of times.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Saw an armalite 308 for a little over a grand, anyone have one to say pros and cons with it? Only thing from a quick glance is the handguard needs to be a quad rail so I can put a pod on bottom. Someone who owns one gimme some honest lip about it before I go get a dpms haha

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Saw an armalite 308 for a little over a grand, anyone have one to say pros and cons with it? Only thing from a quick glance is the handguard needs to be a quad rail so I can put a pod on bottom. Someone who owns one gimme some honest lip about it before I go get a dpms haha

There are MANY more aftermarket add-ons and accessories available for the SR25/DPMS platform.
    The Armalite platform uses many more proprietary parts.
    Also, DPMS mags are cheaper than Armalite.

Just food for thought.

Top Bottom