• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    I have been doing some research. I'm looking for a new long gun that is a good prepping bolt action. I saw the Ruger M77 chambered in 357 on a prepping forum and now I am intrigued. It looked good for more than just a prepping rifle. Does anyone here have any experience and or thoughts on the Ruger M77?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have one...I love it..I put a cartridge cuff on it that holds 10 .357 magnums and a sling...I darkened the diamond on the rear sight so my old eyes can see it and it is a very handy little rifle.....Very accurate and a nice companion for a little .357 magnum revolver....

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Do you know what the average NIB price in Indiana is roughly? No one in my area sells it? I'd prefer not to buy online and need an FFL. You know to keep business in stores.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Do you know what the average NIB price in Indiana is roughly? No one in my area sells it? I'd prefer not to buy online and need an FFL. You know to keep business in stores.

Hit gunbroker...Ruger has discontinued these which means buy one quick..They only made the 357 for a couple of years....

Ruger DISCONTINUING 77-Series of Bolt-Action Rifles - The Firearm Blog

Here is a nice article....

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/08/27/ruger-77357-bolt-action-rifle-review-ultimate-survival-rifle/

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It is a great gun, I have taken 10+ whitetail with it.. plus several coyotes.. If you hand load you can take advantage of the long barrel & make some very nice loads..
    it is sometimes finicky feeding HP bullets .. I just use Banes XPB ones now , no problem with them or Hornedy XTP ..

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If you're in it as a "prepper", then why would you care in that situation about the IN caliber laws? If you need it for such a thing, get a real rifle like a 308 along with a bullet mold and 1,000 pounds of lead. You reload and cast on your own already, right? If not, buy and learn to work with the reloading and casting tools before getting more toys...that is much more important at this stage. If the SHTF you'll have to worry about other people more than anything else. Them city folks will descend upon the rurals and screw everything up.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    There was one up for sale in the classifieds, but I think it has sold by now.

I can see why he would want one though. Consolidate ammo stocking to have a gun that can use the same ammo as your pistol. And it takes game pretty well too. Ya, it's no rifle cartridge but it can get some work done.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    If you're in it as a "prepper", then why would you care in that situation about the IN caliber laws? If you need it for such a thing, get a real rifle like a 308 along with a bullet mold and 1,000 pounds of lead. You reload and cast on your own already, right? If not, buy and learn to work with the reloading and casting tools before getting more toys...that is much more important at this stage. If the SHTF you'll have to worry about other people more than anything else. Them city folks will descend upon the rurals and screw everything up.

Never said I cared about the caliber laws for SHTF situations. I said it was about versatility and effectiveness.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I have one and it's my favorite gun to shoot. Sometimes rounds don't want to load smoothly into the chamber, but besides that I'm happy with mine. I paid $729 for mine at Just Hunt in Wabash. Some shops are a little cheaper, but I've seen a couple shops want $100 more.

twfshelton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    The woods of green
    I can say it's such great rifle, I bought 2 out of the classifieds in the last 4 weeks. Bought the first for my wife to hunt with(both of mine are 44). I liked it so much, I bought another for myself. Super smooth action, great trigger, stainless, lite. Great little carbines.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Like me some Ruger 77/357 Mag...

Got one of these awhile back and just now got around to working up loads for it..

It likes the heavy grain projectiles- 158,170, and 180 grains.

Not too bad of groups @ 25 and 100 yards..

FWIW: When scope is on for heavy .357 loads, it groups 6" low @ 25 yards with .38Spl. +P loads..

I'll just hold over with the .38 Spls....Bill

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I love mine....Just a handy little rifle that goes good with my .357 magnum revolvers...It's so light it begs to not have a scope but my eyes ain't what they used to be and I am toying with getting one of those peep sights they make for them....I had a nice scope on it but it just didn't seem right somehow...Made it too heavy...

Top Bottom