• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    So I like the idea of a suppressed .30 cal bolt gun shooting heavy subsonic rounds. Looking at what’s out there I would be spending at least $400.

700Blackout-courtesy-Remington.jpg

Then I came across “cat sneeze loads” in my internet travels. They are heavy bullets in front of pistol charges in a rifle case. (I will start a thread in the reloading section when the time comes.)

I was looking at my axis in 30-06 for this, and then I thought I have the perfect gun, my bubba’d mosin. I was thinking I would have the barrel re-cut to around 17 inches and threaded.

attachment.php

The problem is the bore is not all that centered in the barrel. Having the threads absolutely centered on the bore being of the utmost importance, is this idea feasible?
    :ingo:

cncswiss1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Fishers/Noblesville
    Most reputable gunsmiths have a good pin set and a 4
    jaw chuck on their lathe- the 4 jaw allows the barrel to be dialed in using an indicator on a best fit gage pin slid in the bore-

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Okay, so I will just make sure there is enough meat for the threads on the thin side. I don't think that will be an issue, the barrel gets thicker as it gets shorter.

You need to be darn sure the twist rate of the barrel will stabilize whatever bullet you plan to run subsonic through a suppressor...

Good call.
    Mosin Nagant Rifle Specifications
    Rifling is 4 groove, right hand, 1 in 9 1/2" (24.1 cm.) twist for all models except the M28/30 which is a 1 in 10" (25.4 cm.) twist. For more information on external barrel dimensions see the Mosin Nagant Rifle Barrel Contours page.
    I will check mine to be sure.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I love my Mosin.

[video=youtube_share;Rtq0sPZN07w]http://youtu.be/Rtq0sPZN07w[/video]
    While it looks like the scope bit him he's shooting left handed so the perspective is off.

Top Bottom