Seeking Milspec AR, Any shops youd recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    I have a couple Olympic AR's both have been flawless but they arent milspec.

anyone have a store they would recommend that stocks LMT, Stag or any other Mid to upper end AR's?

Central Indiana would be best.

thanks all

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Are you looking for an A3, an M4 version or what are you actually looking for? AR15s really are not "mil spec" in that there are differences between AR15s and M16s. I've got a couple Olys and a couple Bushmasters, the lower receivers are virtually identical except for stampings. The upper configurations on each are different, you may be able to make your gun into your desired variant by simply swapping off the upper receiver and keeping your existing lowers. FWIW, I prefer the newer OLYs to most other brands. Not only are they great guns, they are good values and the company stands behind them. I was in my local shop today and one was picked up by a member of our Armed Forces, it was special ordered as a personal gun.

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Im seeking another M4 rifle, I have a Olympic K3B-M4 good rifle but

Carrier wasnt staked and had to stake it and Buffer tube isnt milspec
    also had to upgrade the extractor like it should have been, it is what it is, and my other is a plinker plus from Oly, 550. and my 1st was 100% could pass up a new rifle at that price.

Im wanting to spend 900-1200 on a solid platform.

I love my current rifles and havent had a single problem, just the attention to details out of the box isnt there on them, Chrome lined, Mil spec buffer tube,

But Id like to see them instead of ordering an SLR15 or a LMT rifle , see what they have over a stag or S&W etc.

and my magwells are not fully bevelled on my oly's so magpuls dont go in w/o force and or removing plastic.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Take a good look at Noveske Rifles

Not cheap, but one of the few companies selling to civilians with close to Military Spec procedures.

Incidentally Noveske uses a Stag/CMT lower. Buying a Stag rifle would be pretty close to what our boys carry as well. CMT is one of the companies authorized to sell replacement parts to the military. At least this is what my Veteran friend has been touting.

Personally I purchased a DPMS rifle from someone on the board. It's not a Noveske, but at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost, I'm certainly not going to complain. It IS an exceptionally nice rifle.

My DPMS with Detail

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . my other is a plinker plus from Oly. . .
    My daughter has a Plinker Plus. Nice rifle, basic, but great shooter! We usually shoot it with a Ceiner 22LR kit installed but I love the fact that it takes about 30 seconds to convert it back to 5.56.
    1Pink-Rifle.jpg

I like shooting it too :do2:

1-dadpink.jpg

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Indianapolis Stag dealer?
    I usually only see left handed ones for that niche.
    or within lets say an hour of 465 loop?

I used to have Albro's order my stuff always did me right on prices, and I haven't found a replacement shop yet.

thanks again for all the responses

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    You can always order, and have it sent to Karl (Karl's gun Bunker)

He handled my USP transfer, and a Stripped lower I'll be picking up Monday.

I've decided it's impossible to find what you want off the shelf when it comes to an AR. Too many options.

If you're set on going into a store, Target Sports in Sheridan specializes in AR-15 rifles. If he doesn't have it, he'll bring it in, or build it for you.

Not exactly inside the 465 loop, but.....

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Take a good look at Noveske Rifles

Not cheap, but one of the few companies selling to civilians with close to Military Spec procedures.

Incidentally Noveske uses a Stag/CMT lower. Buying a Stag rifle would be pretty close to what our boys carry as well. CMT is one of the companies authorized to sell replacement parts to the military. At least this is what my Veteran friend has been touting.

Personally I purchased a DPMS rifle from someone on the board. It's not a Noveske, but at 1/3 to 1/4 the cost, I'm certainly not going to complain. It IS an exceptionally nice rifle.

My DPMS with Detail

You need to either get that carrier key restaked or plan on keeping an eye on the bolts from time to time. Just an observation. :)

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Ok Captain Obvious/Mr. Semantics, there actually is.

Mil-spec refers to the quality and build of the parts and components, not to the function of the selector lever.

He's obviously not looking for a machinegun. Either help him with his question or keep it to yourself.

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ok Captain Obvious/Mr. Semantics, there actually is.

Mil-spec refers to the quality and build of the parts and components, not to the function of the selector lever.

He's obviously not looking for a machinegun. Either help him with his question or keep it to yourself.

Actually Mil-spec refers to a United States Defense Standard APPROVED BY THE DOD... it IS NOT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A MIL-SPEC AR-15 (except of course the ORIGINAL AR-15 (ie Colt Model 601 and 602) that were adopted by the Air-Force and are select-fire).... IF IT WERE POSSIBLE TO HAVE A SEMI MIL-SPEC AR-15 DON'T YOU THINK A MANUFACTURER WOULD ADVERTISE ONE AS SUCH! The best you can do is have a commercial AR-15 that has a FEW mil-spec parts in it AND yes the SELECTOR LEVER IS PART OF MIL-SPEC...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The term mil-spec gets thrown around from time to time, and as seen above it usually starts an arguement.

Mil-spec is over rated, as there are parts for the AR platform available to the "civilian" that are far better than mil-spec.

I am going to build an AR for my oldest nephew soon, these are the components that I intend to use.

Lower:
    1) Lower reciever, will be either STAG, GTS, or CMMG, as they are all made by CMT.
    2) LPK, CMT
    3) Magpul CTR buttstock on a milspec CMT buffer tube.
    4) Magpul MIAD grip w/trigger guard.

Upper:
    1) BCM or Sabre defense, 16" midlength
    2) LaRue 9" forearm
    3) Troy rear BUIS
    4) BCM BCG
    5) PRI gas buster CH

It will also, more than likely, get a AimPoint ML3 2moa in a LaRue mount for an optic. It will have a weapon light as well.

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    You might try Elmore's Firearms in Indianapolis. In addition to a huge selection of Colt, DPMS, Rock River, etc., the owner and most employees are Viet Nam veterans, and have forgotten more than I know about ARs. Worth a trip, IMHO.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    If you want to argue over full auto when we all know what the original poster actually means and is loking for then go ahead. I just don't feel like arguing semantics and wasting his time.

There are many very important aspects to the term mil-spec that you might not know anything about. Barrel steel, features, metal finishes, etc. Are all examples as are methods to test and weed out bad lots.

Spread your wings, get on a gun board or two that deals with these nuances and then we can talk.

The term 'mil-spec' can and should be used in a situation like this. 'Most mil-spec' would be the best though.

The OP is essentially asking if he should buy an LMT, Bushmaster or DPMS.

BCM hasn't had rifles or uppers in stock for a year FYI but if you can find one they are very good. I have a BCM 11.5 inch upper.

In reality you probably don't need mil-spec but just want the looks. I'm kind d liking the M&Ps now...

Top Bottom