• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Fairly new to AK rifles. I recently purchased an Arsenal SAM7R-66 (milled receiver).

I would like to install a folding stock (side fold ... NOT under fold) but found that the receiver would not accept my preferred stock, Magpul Zhukov. There is a piece within the receiver that seems to be pinned/riveted in place (has a metal tab thingy that sticks out too and would totally interfere with an aftermarket stock). I don't really want to remove this part since it seems integral to the pistol grip mount. I'm sorry if this seems confusing. I don't know all the proper terminology for these parts.

I was wondering if there is an adapter or part that is available that would facilitate the installation of a folding stock on my AK? I'm not married to the Magpul stock either. I'll look at any side folding stock that provides a decent cheek rest (no wire or minimalist stocks). Please help or point me in the right direction. Thank you!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Zhukov will not work on a regular milled receiver.

And before someone comes along and says "what about the C39v2, it's milled and the Zhukov works on it"?

The C39v2 was made to accept stamped furniture.

You will need this for a folding stock on a milled receiver, you will also have to remove your lower stock "tang".
    Then you can use any stock that mates to this adapter.

AK47 Internal Stock Adapter Milled Receiver Block ACE DPH

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Honestly, you might be better off if you sold it and purchased a stamped rifle. The SAM7 is the cream of the crop, and the thought of cutting the rear tang off to install Magpul furniture sends shivers up my spine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Is this the part you're talking about:

DSCN7751Small.jpg

It is tied in (riveted in) with the pistol grip mounting plate, but it is also made to be removable. While I think it would be a travesty to cut that tang off it is replaceable if that's the way you wanted to go.

Otherwise the link Wabbit posted is about your only option.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Zhukov will not work on a regular milled receiver.

And before someone comes along and says "what about the C39v2, it's milled and the Zhukov works on it"?

The C39v2 was made to accept stamped furniture.

You will need this for a folding stock on a milled receiver, you will also have to remove your lower stock "tang".
    Then you can use any stock that mates to this adapter.

AK47 Internal Stock Adapter Milled Receiver Block ACE DPH

I kept my milled Polish stock with the double tang. You can try Bonesteel.

Ak/Saiga Folding stock with integral AR15 extension tube

Thank you for the information!

Honestly, you might be better off if you sold it and purchased a stamped rifle. The SAM7 is the cream of the crop, and the thought of cutting the rear tang off to install Magpul furniture sends shivers up my spine.

I will think long and hard before I cut anything off ... trust me on that. Your suggestion brings another option into play ... why don't I keep my milled receiver AK as is and just buy a stamped AK to modify?

Is this the part you're talking about:

DSCN7751Small.jpg

It is tied in (riveted in) with the pistol grip mounting plate, but it is also made to be removable. While I think it would be a travesty to cut that tang off it is replaceable if that's the way you wanted to go.

Otherwise the link Wabbit posted is about your only option.

Yes! ... that is the part I am talking about. If I could find someone local that could remove that piece without cutting anything (other than the rivets) and still allow me (or a future owner) to take the rifle back to original, I would be happy. I am not locked into Magpul and am willing to entertain other folding stock options. I'm not completely sold on the Galil style stock. I would like something more substantial for a cheek weld.

As mentioned earlier, I could just keep this one as is and just get a stamped receiver AK to play legos with. I too, hate cutting into anything that doesn't need it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the other thing you need to know is after that tang is removed, will the magpul stock even fit into the back of the receiver? The inside of a milled receiver vs. a stamped receiver is significant.

...... and I to am in favor of buying another rifle ;) lol

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    the other thing you need to know is after that tang is removed, will the magpul stock even fit into the back of the receiver? The inside of a milled receiver vs. a stamped receiver is significant.

...... and I to am in favor of buying another rifle ;) lol

I am almost certain that the Magpul stock will not fit even after tang removal. Like I said, I am not locked into the Magpul stock. I'm just not too crazy about the bare bones folder stocks ... like the Galil. With the links shared above, I am starting to see other decent options. I do like the Carolina Raptor but wish there was a way to sample it before laying down the cash. The Minimalist is also catching my eye. To some degree, I wouldn't even mind a M4 collapsible style folder.

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    I also agree with others, when it comes to gunsmith work, one rule is you never remove any material from the firearm just the parts that you are trying to use to improve that said firearm. Also I would just get another AK, I am thinking the same, got a NPAP that I would like to tactical out & then have another Ak that's all old school.

Top Bottom