• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    So I've gotten into long range shooting this year with a friend usually shooting between 5-900 yards. I have a really nice Remington 700 in 300 win mag but I started seeing the savage rifles in 338 lupua recently to be specific the 110 fcp. Yes yes I know there expensive to shoot fortunately I reload and I'll be tailoring up custom loads for it if I get one. My dad just got a model 10ba stealth and I gotta be honest I don't dig it at all and if the 110 is pretty much the same gun scaled up I don't think I'd be happy with it. The trigger is meh better then most for sure but my main problems with it are the bolt which seems super stiff to work( I feel like if I was laying down prone it'd be problematic to work) and I find it annoying you have to pull the trigger and push a release to get the bolt out. Considering just saving up my pennies for the Remington xcr in 338 lupua. Now I had shot a savage before a friend owned and it was an excellent shooter along with I don't remember it having a stiff bolt like my dads. Oh on a side note I cleaned out all the corrosion resistant oil off it and oiled the bolt body and greased the lugs which I felt smoothed it up but it leaves something to be desired when compared to r700

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have no experience and I've not seen any YouTube experts opinions. But, I know several people that have Savage rifles and have heard nothing but good about them.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I think the Savage bolt action track record kind of speaks for itself, to only dislike it for having to push a button and pull the trigger to get the bolt out seems kind of trivial to base that on whether I like a rifle platform or not. Honestly for shooting only out to 900 yrds I'm not sure of the purpose of the 338 other than just to have the caliber other than that perhaps you'd be best served just continuing to work with the Remington you already have and make it a little more to your liking....

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I shoot at Bass & Bucks with a few guys that shoot Savages in Lapua.
    Both of them are happy with them. But they do cry about buying Hornady bullets.
    They havent bought any Burgers yet.

Edit.
    I will add, like sgreen wrote, at these distances these guys shoot my 40X in 300 win will do everything there 338's are doing for alot less cost per round. The same goes for a 308.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have an 11BTH in 223. I have a nice scope on it and love to shoot the thing. It is accurate and the AccuTrigger system means I don't have to spend a zillion on a nice feeling trigger. It is laser accurate and I can shoot some really tight groups. I wish I had bought one of these in 308 at the same time, can't seem to find one now even though Savage tells me there still make them. I like the thumbhole stock for this sort of shooting (benchrest) and I have always preferred a wood stock over polymer. The stock on mine is beautiful to behold too. I can shoot rings around any one with a Remington and have many times. The new Remington's also have not been well thought of by people who shoot them and those few honest reviewers who aren't paid to tell you how great things are... Savage makes a very nice bolt action rifle and it suits me fine that people don't seem to agree with me. Keeps them much less expensive than those other brands.

Kmaroman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    North Vernon
    I have no need for the lupua it's a want thing, I know full well the capabilities of my Remington 700 that's been blueprinted and sets in a xlr chassis. I know that at 900 yards neither my 300wm or 338 lupua is at full potential I only meant to inform the readers I will not be setting at a 100 yard range and never any farther. I like the savage 110 fcp for the money and I want one but after handling my fathers 6.5 creedmoor it's not so easy for me to shill out $1500 for it. Like I said the accutrigger isn't bad, but for me laying on the ground shooting prone the stiffness of the bolt handle was not something I liked. I want a smooth running machine not a clunky feeling one, and I find it annoying you gotta do two things to pull the bolt out instead of like my mausers or Remington's. Im
    not talked out of the savage just wondered what everyone's thoughts are. I like the Remington xcr but I've seen to many Remington's including my win mag that didn't get truely accurate until dumpin the money into them. That's why the savage is attractive to me the reviews are good but I want real world feed back from guys just like me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have no need for the lupua it's a want thing, I know full well the capabilities of my Remington 700 that's been blueprinted and sets in a xlr chassis. I know that at 900 yards neither my 300wm or 338 lupua is at full potential I only meant to inform the readers I will not be setting at a 100 yard range and never any farther. I like the savage 110 fcp for the money and I want one but after handling my fathers 6.5 creedmoor it's not so easy for me to shill out $1500 for it. Like I said the accutrigger isn't bad, but for me laying on the ground shooting prone the stiffness of the bolt handle was not something I liked. I want a smooth running machine not a clunky feeling one, and I find it annoying you gotta do two things to pull the bolt out instead of like my mausers or Remington's. Im
    not talked out of the savage just wondered what everyone's thoughts are. I like the Remington xcr but I've seen to many Remington's including my win mag that didn't get truely accurate until dumpin the money into them. That's why the savage is attractive to me the reviews are good but I want real world feed back from guys just like me.

Just how accurate do you want?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ahhh. Another Ford, Chevy, Dodge thread. :) Savage is widely known for out-of-the-box accuracy. We shoot a variety of Savage model 10s & 12s in .223, .204, and .17 Fireball. They are all very accurate but those calibers are obviously not suitable for real long range. Had one in .308 that wouldn't shoot worth diddly with a number of different loads. Changed the barrel, bolt face, and magazine box and it's now a very accurate .17 FB. The only guys I know who shoot .30 cal-and-bigger target guns are shooting way over 1000 yards. Custom builds in .338 or .375 calibers. If I wanted a 1000 yard gun, and didn't want to spend $3K - $5K to have one built, I would buy a Savage M12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmore.

Savage Arms

Top Bottom