• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I want an AK47 but I want to build it from the ground up. I want to start with a receiver flat and do everything. Thing is, I have no idea how or where to start. I know I want a wood stock and furniture (in Russian red) and I want it in 7.62x39. Somebody please point me in the right direction!:ingo:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    You called? Good thing I'm building two rifles from flats right now. I'm about to post an update this weekend after riveting the flat.

You need a parts kit first but you won't find one with Russian Red furniture. That will probably have to come from Ironwood post-build.

Here's my AK Building Playlist to get your started on the various parts of building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVU9Vzy4or4&list=PL6GXjpXMzbRLoFarttLJdg4zz9Yxp0HED

attachment.php

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Well populate that barrel already and finish putting it together.

kind of wishing I got an underfolder now, but I really can't see a real advantage to them.

to the OP the yugo kits that are out there have red furniture on them, could be restained to be really red if you want it that way. But the buttstock isn't interchangeable with the other fixed stock AKMs

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Well populate that barrel already and finish putting it together.

Patience. I have to ream the 5mm and 7mm FCG holes first and then install the barrel. Then I have to spot treat the holes and ejector. And finish off populating the barrel.

I already had a side folding Maadi so got this Hungarian AMD-63 UF and a AMD-65 I'm also working on (but is a little behind).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'll recommend two things:

1) an INGO AK build party would be a great place to do that.

2) Polish kits! LOVE the quality of polish parts kits. You would have to either refinish the polish wood OR find some nice russian furniture for the kit.

Then I'll offer my opinion on one thing. I don't like flats. I like the idea of flats, but I don't like the finished products strictly from a heat treat perspective. A proper AK receiver should be completely heat treated after assembly, ie receiver and inside rails, and 99.9% of the time people only heat treat the FCG holes and maybe the ejector. Does it work, it appears to, but it's just not my thing ;)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The only problem with 'build parties' is the ATF doesn't exactly appreciate the concept of them (donations for entry, tool 'rental' fees etc were common place) so word is they strictly frown on them happening and there were some rumors afloat that they were trying to infiltrate some of them too.

I guess that's another example of big brother overstepping their bounds.

at least you're taking the time to properly ream the FCG holes out, I have a century AK that needs the smaller holes peened a bit smaller because the pins wobble quite a bit

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If it makes you feel better we've had 4(?) build parties so far and everyone has a good time without issues.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    If it makes you feel better we've had 4(?) build parties so far and everyone has a good time without issues.
    Just saying what I've heard from other sources, they had a letter from the ATF that cites commercial build parties as being 'manufacturers' or something of that nature. I haven't seen or been to a build in 7+ years. Just got back into it myself to be honest

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    VUPD, when you get to that point, I recommend the Red Star adjustable trigger. I'm sure vitamink will be happy to install it for you. He loves that stuff. ;)

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'll staple my face to a table before I'd touch another. However had we had a zip or twist tie it wouldn't have been an issue. That damn 1 eared hammer was just silly.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I haven't felt a red star trigger since VitaminK installed that one, so I don't have a good point of reference BUT the new ALG triggers are freaking awesome! and they are drop ins.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I haven't felt a red star trigger since VitaminK installed that one, so I don't have a good point of reference BUT the new ALG triggers are freaking awesome! and they are drop ins.

I want all my triggers the same so I stick with the Tapco G2. Simple to install and cheaper than the others.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Tapco triggers have been popping up for as low as $15 lately at that price it seems silly not to grab at least two. I have no experience with the other mentioned triggers, but for the cost of a tapco right now I don't think it can be beat.

Also don't forget about 922r compliance on a build.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom