• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I'm planning on picking up a 10/22 after the first of the year. Its gonna be a plinking gun and something cheap to have in case I need to sling a bunch of lead at a large group (SHTF). After extensive research , it appears everyone modifies these things to the extreme. Is there any of you out there that keep a stock 10/22 and are happy with it? I'm not one for modifying a firearm from its original form.

Thanks

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    The receiver? :D

Seems like everything can get upgraded, and it's only personal preference. Trigger, mag release, barrel, stock, etc. Just try it stock and see if any aspect lets you down. Start there. You may find you are quite happy with it just stock!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I kept mine stock for over 15 years. It was a great gun.

I've since modified it though. A Ruger BX-25 trigger, which makes a world of difference. And for $60, you can't beat the value. I also put a different stock on it, just because.

But I can put it back to its stock form in about 5 minutes if I ever wanted to.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm not big on doing a lot of modifying either. If I have to dump a bunch more money into something to get what I want, I'll keep looking until I find one that I do want. That said, I recently bought a 10/22 and had no plans on modifying it. That changed first time I shot it. I knew going in that 10/22s aren't known for having good triggers, but damn, over 6 lbs pull, rough and gritty. No way that was going to work so I installed BX trigger group and my groups immediately closed up by 1/2".

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I put the BX trigger in mine, Vortex scope, Harris bipod, and a basic sling.
    The trigger is worth the extra expense but not necessary. The scope is important to me because of my aging eyes. Bipod is for killing paper. Sling? I'm lazy at times.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Here are some good, basic upgrades:

Poly buffer
    Volguartsen auto bolt release
    Extended mag release
    Sling swivels
    GI sling
    In total, that's around $50 and makes a good rifle better.

The ones that I have all have factory triggers and they smooth out fairly nice after a couple thousand rounds. The Kidde triggers are great, but not really needed unless your doing serious bench rest shooting.

I have seen $1,500 10/22s and they are nice if that's what you want, but a mostly stock 10/22 will still be minute of squirrel at 100.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Stock these rifles well....stink.....crappy trigger pull,loose chamber,poor stock

You will want the BX trigger (2.5 pound pull,minimum creap) Shaw barrel,my stocker looked like a shotgun pattern at 75M , revolution stock, the best off hand stock made.

Cost? $350/400 plus the rifle,mine now holds IT'S OWN with a stock savage .22

Better option....Savage thumb hole stock w/accurate trigger or CZ

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The only modification I have made to mine is putting a Volquartsen target hammer and trigger in. I have a stainless tapered barrel in the green laminate stock. The only round I use in it is the discontinued CCI SGB because it will lay them in quarter inch groups at 50 yards and is great on squirrels.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The Volquartsen target hammer (hammer only) will take the factory trigger pull down to around 2.5 lbs. You can spend many hundreds of dollars on a 10/22 doing mods that will make it look good, function better, and give you braggin' fodder but unless you improve the trigger and barrel it will still shoot like a stock factory gun. Surf over to rimfirecentral.com and read up on the mods. However, you need to bear in mind that like any other forum, you'll get heresay being sold as the gospel by guys who never owned a 10/22.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Polished the contact surfaces on the bolt, dremeled the auto bolt release, nylon bolt buffer, and added an over travel limit screw. Less than $5 in mods.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Does have a Kidd buffer abd Volq hammer, all else original.

IF23AOh.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It wears the original barrel and has been shot a bunch (hey it was made in '67).
    No it won't shoot tiny groups, but it's no "shotgun" either.
    It likes CCI Blazer, and if you can't hit the squirrel in the head at 50 yards it aint the rifle's fault.
    Super tack driver custom10/22's are common.
    Factor checkered fingergrooves...........are not :)

Rabbit/squirrel hunting last go............got rained on.
    This rifle is now my sunny day small game rig.

I got a Remington 572 for crappy weather!

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I have a 10/22 carbine I bought from Plainfield Galyan's in '99. I bought it for a squirrel gun. The only thing I have done is put a scope on it. Does just fine for me.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have several 10/22's in various forms. I have several that the only thing I will do to them is change out the bolt buffer. I have mainly guns that are manufactured before 2008 when Ruger went to the plastic trigger group that comes with the extended magazine release. On my older ones I replace the magazine release. Contrary to popular opinion I don't like to change out the trigger because on the older ones the trigger functions much smoother.
    That being said, I also have a Takedown that I built that I am approaching $1000 quickly with everything I have done to it. Ruger is the most modifyable .22 on the market.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Mine in stock form had issues. The free mods really do wake up a stockish rifle and are well worth doing IMO. Those free and easy mods didn't get mine shooting the way I wanted though. I had to put a Kidd barrel & bolt on it.

On the otherhand.... my daughter's 10/22 carbine has a VQ hammer & extractor & everything else was free to mod or make myself. It's a really good shooter.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It wears the original barrel and has been shot a bunch (hey it was made in '67).
    No it won't shoot tiny groups, but it's no "shotgun" either.
    It likes CCI Blazer, and if you can't hit the squirrel in the head at 50 yards it aint the rifle's fault.
    Super tack driver custom10/22's are common.
    Factor checkered fingergrooves...........are not :)

Rabbit/squirrel hunting last go............got rained on.
    This rifle is now my sunny day small game rig.

I got a Remington 572 for crappy weather!

That's a pretty piece of wood for a 10/22. I see why you're proud of it.

Top Bottom