• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm looking for information about long gun laws in Indiana. I'm looking into building an AR for home defense and want to make sure I'm doing things legally. Can someone point me in the right direction?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Overall length at least 26". Did anyone mention 16" barrel?? :D Keep in mind Josh when you go to add a home-defense shotgun (which may be before or after you pick up a Glock 19) the requirements are different that for rifles. Why? Because it's from the government.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    You can always build an SBR (short barrel rifle), it's an extra $200 tax stamp, paper work and waiting for the ATF to file everything though.

other than that if you aren't going to SBR it, you just buy a 16" upper, most of the time it isn't economical to build an AR upper, I would just buy a conplete upper assembly.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    You can always build an SBR (short barrel rifle), it's an extra $200 tax stamp, paper work and waiting for the ATF to file everything though.

other than that if you aren't going to SBR it, you just buy a 16" upper, most of the time it isn't economical to build an AR upper, I would just buy a conplete upper assembly.

Depends on what he wants. My new upper put me back $858. And i am perfectly happy with it.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. As long as the overall length of the rifle is >=26" (with the stock fully extended), it's not required to be classified as an SBR. If it's shorter than 26", I would need to fill out a form and pay a $200 fee. It doesn't matter what the actual barrel length is.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Correct me if I'm wrong here. As long as the overall length of the rifle is >=26" (with the stock fully extended), it's not required to be classified as an SBR. If it's shorter than 26", I would need to fill out a form and pay a $200 fee. It doesn't matter what the actual barrel length is.

Barrel has to be 16" OAL or greater, any shorter, than you have to go SBR or AR pistol. SBR requires the $200 tax and to get the lower engraved (since you are the manuf.), pistol requires no tax

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I see. So the barrel has to be at least 16" and the overall length must be at least 26". Got it.

What about a supressor? Is the supressor considered to be part of the barrel?

Top Bottom