What happened to the supply of K-31 swiss rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Howdy guys. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, as I'm sure that somebody has asked this question before, but what happened to the supply of swiss k-31 rifles? I've been looking around for one for quite some time and haven't found any c&r or ffl dealers that still have 'em. The only place I've seen that has them in stock is Gunbroker, and I'd really prefer not spending 600 bucks on a vintage surplus rifle unless it is in truly superb condition. Anyways, if you guys have any leads, let me know. I know that the indy 1500 is coming up, and if I end up getting off of work I plan on going to that. Have a good one guys. Thank you for your time. Merry Christmas. -Ben

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Always thought those rifles were neat. I have also noticed not seeing many for sale.

I wouldn't pay much over a hundred bucks for one in great condition. All the ones I looked at were around that. Seemed like they couldn't give them away because lack of ammo.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Last imports of any size were 7 or 8 years ago when the Swiss basically emptied their armories of them. Since then there have been a few imported, mostly from reservist or deceased veteran turn-ins. IIRC the last GP11 for government use was made in 1994.

Sniper 79- how long ago was that? K31s haven't been $100 for a long, long, time.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They're like all surplus firearms, the import stream eventually runs dry.
    Then all that's left is what's put up for sale in the private market.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    GP11 ammo is still available from a number of online sellers for 55 to 70 cents per round.

And they sell Prvi Partisan for not much more than that price.

No reason for the rifles to be worth less because of ammo shortages.

I haven't seen a K31 for sale for under $300 for 5 years!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but what happened to the supply of swiss k-31 rifles?

The supply of K-31 rifles? Well, the HC stopped making them in 1958 so that has a lot to do with it and they were only used by 2 countries.:D

No, I know you are talking about the few that were imported into the USA. The answer is that you are late to the party. The 6s were signed long ago and the time to buy was many years ago.

If you want one, stalk the shows and the classifieds. Good hunting.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    As already mentioned the surplus rifle market is supply and demand. Back when the dealers were awash in K-31's they were selling for 100 bucks a piece. Now they have mostly found homes with collectors and they are fetching a handsome price when someone is willing to let go of one. It's been the same with Mausers, Enfields and M44's. Basically all surplus firearms. :twocents:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I saw them at the Kankakee IL show a few years ago. The really beat up ones were under a hundred and others were nicer for like a hundred and a quarter. Even had a nice blond wood one. Saw some French MAS36 rifles there also for a hundred bucks.

I am a shooter so ammo would have to be extremely cheap for me to buy one. Not looking for anything else to hand load for.

I am shocked at what those junk Mosin rifles and SKS are bringing and Mausers. Supply and demand I guess.

Top Bottom