• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I'm getting ready to take off my delta ring assembly and magpul handguards to a 15" mlok free float. I will also be shaving down my front sight. It seems there are a few tools that I will definitely need that I don't have. I have or can get any punches I will need but I can't think of a tool, other than the once made for it, that I can take off the factory barrel nut with. I also don't have a vise block for the upper. Are there any tricks anyone does that might make it so you don't need one or he other? I think I could figure out the vice issue but not the wrench. I just don't want to end up with as much money in tools as I have in the handguard as I don't see myself building another AR for a while.

Another question is while everything is apart, could it be a good idea to go ahead and install a new gas tube? Probably have 2000ish rounds through it and no problems but thought it might be a good preventative maintenance idea.

If i I cannot get around buying tools/blocks I would like to hear recommendations especially if they are pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...If i I cannot get around buying tools/blocks I would like to hear recommendations especially if they are pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance

Get someone that has the tools to help you with the swap. State your general location and you may get offers of help.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    If you're in my area, I have a brand new wrench and vise block I've been wanting to try out! All my ARs are currently in happy configurations. Plus I just like working on them/learning while others work on them.

Matt

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm getting ready to take off my delta ring assembly and magpul handguards to a 15" mlok free float. I will also be shaving down my front sight. It seems there are a few tools that I will definitely need that I don't have. I have or can get any punches I will need but I can't think of a tool, other than the once made for it, that I can take off the factory barrel nut with. I also don't have a vise block for the upper. Are there any tricks anyone does that might make it so you don't need one or he other? I think I could figure out the vice issue but not the wrench. I just don't want to end up with as much money in tools as I have in the handguard as I don't see myself building another AR for a while.

Another question is while everything is apart, could it be a good idea to go ahead and install a new gas tube? Probably have 2000ish rounds through it and no problems but thought it might be a good preventative maintenance idea.

If i I cannot get around buying tools/blocks I would like to hear recommendations especially if they are pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance

IF you're only going to work on one or MAYBE 2 then I'd borrow the tools.
    I'm the kind of guy that likes to have the tools handy to work on so I finally broke out the wallet and bought them after a couple of years of sitting on the fence about it.
    Playing with the AR platform is pretty cool and educational.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think what phylodog is saying is that the linked tube can be installed on the existing barrel nut without having to remove it so no need for a wrench.

Matt
    Ah, okay. I don't have any experience with switching out hand guards so I had no idea. Although it's something I hope to learn soon. I'd like to free float my 308 AR barrel eventually.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Ah, okay. I don't have any experience with switching out hand guards so I had no idea. Although it's something I hope to learn soon. I'd like to free float my 308 AR barrel eventually.

The AR-10 will be a little tougher. It's barrel nut may be an odd size and hard to find a tube to match up. AR-10 s aren't nearly as standardized as the -15s. It can be done though, for a price! I want to float mine as well!

Matt

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The AR-10 will be a little tougher. It's barrel nut may be an odd size and hard to find a tube to match up. AR-10 s aren't nearly as standardized as the -15s. It can be done though, for a price! I want to float mine as well!

Matt
    Amen about the price! It's a PSA rifle (my first "AR" build), and I saw a hand guard once but it was definitely pricier than its smaller cousins.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Thanks in advance

You never did say where you are.
    I've got two different styles of AR15 upper receiver vise blocks, and the wrenches needed to swap hand-guards.
    I'd be happy to let you use them if you're close enough to make it feasible.
    Pm me if you'd like.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've installed several of the Alpha rails without removing the barrel nut. As mentioned, it only takes a minute or two with a dremel to get rid of the delta ring. Piece of cake.

Top Bottom