• ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Nutshel:
    What constitutes "lighter loads" for a shotgun? I'm more interested in the perspective of the pressures it puts on the gun metal itself.

Back story if you want it:
    I have in my possession my fathers side by side 12 Ga shotgun. Markings: "J. Stevens A. & T. Co" Chicopec Falls, Mass USA "Pats. Appl'd for" Model 325 on baseplate.

From my research:
    Made 1905-1909 but since "Pats. Appl'd for" it was likely made before 1907 when the patent was approved.
    All internal parts hand made. This makes sense when you see them. It looks like they were made by carving metal with a dremel.
    A couple references to them being made for black powder ammo.
    One guy online mentioned the Stevens catalog no 52 states the 325 had "high pressure" bbls for nitro powder.

My assumptions and thoughts:
    I assume this means it is ahead of its time and designed for the new fangled smokeless powders?
    Many suggestions that it should be OK with regular 12 Ga ammo but they all suggest not using the "heavy loads".
    I can tell you that my father has shot various 12 rounds through it without knowing how old the gun is but I'm not willing to let past luck dictate future decisions.

Anyone want to chime in on any of the info above?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No.%20325%20Catalogue%20No.%2052%20pg%2089_zpsfjfwuank.jpeg

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    The max pressure for a 12 gauge by SAAMI standards is about 11,500 psi. Normally as you increase speed and the weight of the ejected shot, the pressure increases. In my old guns, I stay below 8,000 psi. A heavy load would generally be considered to be anything over 1 1/8 oz of shot and/or faster than 1200 fps. Unless you reload, the options to keep pressure low are quite limited. Bargain shells are normally running close to the max to make sure that auto's will function with the shell; so old guns should avoid these shells. Winchester Xtra-Lites use to be 1 oz and about 8000 psi; Winchester low recoil/low noise are about 7/8 oz and run about 980 fps and generate about 5600 psi. These would be you best option for low pressure shells unless you roll your own. You could also check with a small company in Pa. called RST; They make short shells for old guns w shorter chambers and low pressure loads for most chamber lengths. Enjoy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Winchester Xtra-Lites use to be 1 oz and about 8000 psi; Winchester low recoil/low noise are about 7/8 oz and run about 980 fps and generate about 5600 psi. These would be you best option for low pressure shells unless you roll your own. Enjoy.

I agree.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The max pressure for a 12 gauge by SAAMI standards is about 11,500 psi. Normally as you increase speed and the weight of the ejected shot, the pressure increases. In my old guns, I stay below 8,000 psi. A heavy load would generally be considered to be anything over 1 1/8 oz of shot and/or faster than 1200 fps. Unless you reload, the options to keep pressure low are quite limited. Bargain shells are normally running close to the max to make sure that auto's will function with the shell; so old guns should avoid these shells. Winchester Xtra-Lites use to be 1 oz and about 8000 psi; Winchester low recoil/low noise are about 7/8 oz and run about 980 fps and generate about 5600 psi. These would be you best option for low pressure shells unless you roll your own. You could also check with a small company in Pa. called RST; They make short shells for old guns w shorter chambers and low pressure loads for most chamber lengths. Enjoy.

Aside from fun casual conversion, this is the hard info I was really wanting. Thanks.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    There's some great info in this article that mirrors a lot of what autogun posted....Shotgun Sports | Old Guns and Pressure by Ron Jones

Here's the Winchester loads he is referring to...Winchester AA Low Recoil/Low Noise Target Loads Shotshells | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

And here's a few reload recipes if you every want to go that route....https://www.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ceretto.pdf

Nice old scattergun btw...

Also, if you are planning on shooting her a bunch, consider getting the forcing cones lengthened. The old guns had short abrupt forcing cones due to the paper card wads used back then. A longer cone with it's lighter angle will help reduce peak pressures.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom