• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    Looking at the stuff at the back of the gun safe and trying to decide ........Should I keep or trade/sell. Three older 22's a Winchester winder musket, a Stevens 44 1/2 hex 1/2 round tang sight,and a Mossberg 155. I thought I would keep for fun ,shooting them almost never.Will they appreciate in value or are they just old guns? I don't need the space ......what says INGO?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I really love my Winchester 1885 Low-Wall in .22lr.
    I have a couple more single-shots, but the 1885 is my favorite.

I have more single-shot .22's now than I'll ever need.
    If yours show up in the classifieds I'll give them serious consideration.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have three Stevens single-shot .22 on my wall now. One dates from about 1910, another about 1925, and the third about 1962. Two are still in working condition. Their greatest value is in the family history. I doubt they will increase in value. I suspect the Mossberg is similar. The Winchesters may add value based on the name.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Do you value them for personal/family history? Do you have kids in your family to teach how to shoot?

Those are perfectly valid reasons to hold on to them.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Bought a Winchester 67 at auction and gave it to my oldest grandson. Hope he hangs on to it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am a single shot .22 lover...I gave my wife a real nice scarce Winchester ca 1970's .22 single shot...(Can't remember the model but they ended up becoming the Kimber model 84) and she got it out the other day to show someone and I felt a pain in my heart....I love them...

Keep it...If not you will get old and regret...

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Keep it...If not you will get old and regret...

InceptionOldSaito-600x473.jpg

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Single shots teach you to shoot and conserve on ammo. I have ARs, bolt guns and single shots, I like shooting my TC Encore the most. It only has one shot. So when you pull the trigger you make sure that you have dun everything you can to hit the target. It is much more relaxed shooting than any other type. I like my single shots. I have them in 22, 30 Herrett, 3030, 5.56 and 243. I don't think I will ever sell them. My grand kids will end up with most of them.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have a deep seated love for bolt action 22's and my single shots get used quite often. I have been collecting them for nearly fifty years.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    Well I talked to a friend and he said bring them to Lima Gun show and see what people offer.I did and was "mobbed" by the grey haired gentlemen. .They were very interested in them .After talking to several of them about the history on the Winchester ,training rifle for the first world war. The Stevens was a poor mans tack driver. It has a very valuable marbles "long range-long stem" tang sight.These are their words not mine . I took them out to the truck. They are going in the safe.One gentleman said I should sell them now while there was enough of them still alive to appreciate them. They all said I would regret selling them. So INGO and the older and much wiser guys advise will be heeded. Thank you all for the time you took to reply. You all saved me from my self.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hate that "single shots teach you to shoot" nonsense.
    If you're hunting the critters pretty much teach you to make the first shot count.
    Or if you care are about doing a task well, your character will make you do that.

All a single shot does is teach those who are lacking.............how to reload fast, or often.

I started with a bolt rig, then semi autos, then a Ruger #1.........while I owned the others.
    Look at the guys in Africa w doubles or #1's..............holding extra ammo in the fwd hand. Hmmmm.

BTW, I realy want a #3 Ruger redone to .22 rf and have it restocked.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I worked with a guy that grew up in the depression.
    His dad handed him the family .22rf, a repeater.............and 5 cartridges.
    Was expected to bring home 5 critters.
    Disappointing the family, or having your arse kicked............THAT probably motivated folks to make the first shot count, not the lack of firepower back then.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shoot stuff, don't shoot AT stuff.
    Never understood the "just make noise" aspect of recreational shooting.
    Sure, there are techniques and one should challenge/experiment...........but once you've done it (like bump fire or speed drills)............just hosing ammo into a bare dirt bank
    I just do't get it. Have seen folks do that, for decades. They go for the experience of having shot the gun, not using the gun as a tool.
    Boom and roar is fine............esp when you make all that racket and hit the target.

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hang onto them.
    You may find a situation where someone you know may want or need a little 22 rifle.
    I would rather gift them than to sell them, glad you decided to keep 'em!

GGF

atticachert

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2016
    NWI
    Single shots are part of the history of shooting. Most of us learned on one. Now a days it seems like everyone wants a semi auto with a big scope or something. I think there is something lost in not starting with a single shot open site gun. IMO

Top Bottom