• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I picked up 1,000 rds of Wolf for $223 shipped to my door...

PROBLEM, I don't have any rifle that will dispense this ammo :)

N-PAP, WASR-10, PSAK47, VEPR, SKS, or an AR-47...

Price point, sub $750

I aware of some issues with the Tapco hammers in both kit AKs... the VEPR and SKS look like solid rifles. The AR47 my only concern is the chamber handling the steel case, varnish, grime... and cycling reliably.

Now I need a new rifle... so, what would you do? My goal is to have a fun range rifle, and something that will provide some defense capability. Thanks

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The VEPR is without question, the best option you have listed by a mile.
    -Yugos take weird proprietary everything, and have non chrome lined parts (specifically the barrel)
    -WASR's are actually pretty decent rifles nowadays, and many of the problems people had (like myself), have been remedied. But comparing the WASR to a VEPR is like a Chevette VS a Corvette.
    -I have a PSAK47, and have had good luck so far. That said, I'd still take a VEPR
    -The SKS is a great rifle too, but I liked them a lot more in the old days when they were dirt cheap.
    -The AR47 takes the worse aspects of an AR, and then blends them into the AK, thus creating a big mess. Plus the magazines are much less reliable than an AK mag. The KS47 is a much better choice (because it uses an AK mag), and a CMMG Mutant would be an even better one (also uses an AK mag). That said, unless you are dead set on staying with the AR platform, get an AK if you want to shoot 7.62X39 reliably, and for a long long time.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Tapco hammers have a different profile than the OEM. There are mass issues reported of the hammer deforming the BCG... which is not as easy to just replace as say an AR. I'd prefer not to deal with that.

Saiga... not looked into those... I do have a price point.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I have read the same thing about the VEPR... it takes the AK platform, and improves on its shortcomings, while maintaining being dead reliable.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Still like Yugos - especially the M70AB2. Sure, not chrome lined, but you'll be cleaning it anyway, right? Plus the bombproof receiver, a number of parts do interchange with other AKs, night sights possible, more difficult for Century to screw up. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I love the Yugos myself, but they do have there downfalls. I like the fat reunions, and I like the shape of the furniture (not that it matters).
    I'd go Vepr if I was in your shoes. I've had great luck with my WASR, though it is the sloppiest AK I own in terms of mag fitments. It just always works.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I don't own one in x39 but I do have a VEPR in 54r and the build quality is excellent. So I would have no reservations at all about getting one in x39..

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I recently got ahold of a Century arms C39v2, and I could not be happier. I got it at Bradis and paid $800. It has a milled receiver, and is (supposedly) American built.

I would be glad to let you fire it if you would like to make arrangements to do so.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Still like Yugos - especially the M70AB2. Sure, not chrome lined, but you'll be cleaning it anyway, right? Plus the bombproof receiver, a number of parts do interchange with other AKs, night sights possible, more difficult for Century to screw up. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

I'm not meaning to **** all over the Yugo stuff, I just think there are better options out there. If that's what you're into, more power to you. But many of the "advantages" to a Yugo, are just silly internet talking points.

A properly made 1mm AK receiver is not going to break, so all the 1.5mm receiver gives you is more weight. Any quality non US made AK is going to "take a licking, and keep on ticking".

A few of the parts are interchangeable, but the furniture and optics mounts are going to be the biggest issue for a new guy wanting to get into an AK.

I like to shoot my stuff as much as possible. So for me, the biggest advantage between chrome and non chrome is the barrels service life (wear and tear), and not ease of cleaning. I am much more concerned about throat erosion from heat, rather than cleaning it. You'll also hear guys say that they prefer a non chrome lined barrel, because they are more accurate. Just more silly internet nonsense, there are good reasons why nearly every other country on Earth chooses to line their barrels.

I agree about not giving Century a chance to screw the rifle up though, I've had more than my fair share of experience in that and don't plan to repeat that mistake if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I recently got ahold of a Century arms C39v2, and I could not be happier. I got it at Bradis and paid $800. It has a milled receiver, and is (supposedly) American built.

I would be glad to let you fire it if you would like to make arrangements to do so.

That is a kind offer... $800 is stretching my budget, but doable (depending on what nit pick repairs my motorcycle needs)

I will scour the interwebs for pricing and such on the C39V2. Otherwise, I'm probably ordering up the VEPR.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    In fact, I can procure the C39v2 delivered for $755.... tempting.

But why wouldn't I pay $700 for the PSAK47? I believe it is stamped... so there is that, not that it matters, but keeps costs down I presume. I need to research this rifle. Thanks for the insight

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Look at the VZ2008 as well. If you are not heavily into the AK platform they are an excellent choice. There is one in the classifieds for a decent price for the package.

These used to be a lot cheaper but like AK style rifles, they have gone up. Be aware, it is not an AK and uses different mags. I have had several of the C3ntury builds and all were well made and flawless in function.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Look at the VZ2008 as well. If you are not heavily into the AK platform they are an excellent choice. There is one in the classifieds for a decent price for the package.

These used to be a lot cheaper but like AK style rifles, they have gone up. Be aware, it is not an AK and uses different mags. I have had several of the C3ntury builds and all were well made and flawless in function.

what he said. VZ 58/2008 is a great gun. LRBHO (unlike AK's). They were a steal at $399 on PSA a couple years back. Now they are trading at closer to your price point. Folding stock is a nice feature. Maybe check them out.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Go VEPR for the best or WASR for the value. The others are for your next AK when you want to try something different.

VZs are nice if it is your only rifle. You can't share parts like the AK.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Well, I appreciate the support here fellas... I knew I could count on you. I had read the same things about the VEPR that you all reiterated, but it's nice to hear it from people I trust.

I will post up some photos and thoughts when it arrives. HOPEFULLY in time for my week off at the end of the month. I will be breaking it in at Parabellum.

Top Bottom