• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    (Part 2 on Page 3) The DPMS Oracle, IMO is one of the best kept secretes to the AR308 world. This rifle yields itself to reliable functionality in a 308 AR platform at a very reasonable price. With about 3 years of shooting this particular model its come to be one of my favorite's.

With that said it does have a few down sides, it is heavy and the factory trigger is horrid. Getting past that however makes this a very viable entry into the AR308 market IMO especially when someone may not have much to start with right of the bat to either buy or build a higher end rig. Even with a few well thought out & cost upgrades would really make this rifle stand out...

[video=youtube;7qULXLlwXLs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qULXLlwXLs[/video]

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have the LRT SASS .308 and just love it.
    It's a GenI, so it's like toting around a chunk of railroad rail, but I don't plan on hauling it anywhere but the range.

The Oracle line of DPMS, both the .308 and .223 versions are vastly underrated in my opinion.

TacticalFun

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    Goshen
    It's a GenI, so it's like toting around a chunk of railroad rail, but I don't plan on hauling it anywhere but the range.

The Oracle line of DPMS, both the .308 and .223 versions are vastly underrated in my opinion.

I have a g2 sass. Shoots lights out.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

I totally agree, they are heavy but for what your getting at the price point its tough to turn down. Yea Ive heard the SASS shoots very well....

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I just recently purchased one of these; as in it hasn't been delivered to my FFL yet. From the research I did beforehand, you're evaluation/ experience sounds spot on! My first investment after a couple hundred rounds will be the trigger, then maybe gas block and handguard. Good video!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just recently purchased one of these; as in it hasn't been delivered to my FFL yet. From the research I did beforehand, you're evaluation/ experience sounds spot on! My first investment after a couple hundred rounds will be the trigger, then maybe gas block and handguard. Good video!

Thanks! Yes the trigger upgrade will help in the accuracy department I have no doubt. I think a few well thought out upgrades could tunr one of these into a very nice shooter... Congrats on the purchase!

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I kept going back and forth on initial investment, but this seems like a great way to build something better, but still have a product that functions very well out of the box.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Just wondering, have you or anyone else tested out the couple different rounds to see what works best? I was planning on buying some Sierra match ammunition, but also wanted to buy some ball ammo in bulk.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just wondering, have you or anyone else tested out the couple different rounds to see what works best? I was planning on buying some Sierra match ammunition, but also wanted to buy some ball ammo in bulk.

Yea if you noticed in the review video i shot some Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr sierra match that shot very well as well as the Hornady 168gr Match. Regular ball ammo is about 1.5-2moa if you do your part, which still isn't that bad.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Been thinking about a new bbl, trigger, gas block, stock and some f/f hand guards for mine.

Yea i got a trigger and F/F handgaurd ordered for this one for "part 2" of the video series, so I cant wait to see what the accuracy improvement might be. I thought about a barrel upgrade, but it kind of defeats the purpose of this rifle for me as a cost effective Ar in 308 (still not to say it wont happen in the future, its hard to play with stuff ;)), with that said this model does yield a way to kind of build as you go as funds allow and still have a really nice usable platform in the mean time...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I ended up going with a 3lb Velocity trigger and a smith built free float rail. Nothing super crazy or expensive, but I think should help out a lot as far as getting a bit more accuracy from it..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got a few small upgrade parts put on the oracle today, cant wait to get out back and see how it shoots now. I have to say the Velocity trigger is Awesome! ill defiantly be getting another one of those for another AR I have...

LR308_Upgraded.jpg

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm going back and forth between the velocity 3lb and a RRA two stage varmint trigger. I'm also holding out for some free float handguard deals, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm going back and forth between the velocity 3lb and a RRA two stage varmint trigger. I'm also holding out for some free float handguard deals, but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

I have to say the Velocity is NICE!! Ill defiantly be getting another one. I just used another cheap Smith Built rail from Ebay. Very nice for $60 Ive got 3 of them and have been perfect.

Top Bottom