• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I've built several low end AR's, now I'm looking to build a quality AR that I plan on keeping and shooting the hell out of. I already have the lower that I want to use completed, it's just been sitting waiting for an upper for a couple months now. Do I have to spend $1000 on a Daniel Defense, or Noveske to get a top of the line upper, or is there some other quality manufactures out there? I would like a complete upper, but not dead set against assembling one.
    Leaning towards mid length, must be direct impingement. I have several thousand rounds of 55 grain bullets and loaded ammo, so probably 1 in 9 or 1 in 10 twist. 16 to 20 inch barrel.
    What's out there?

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    When I'm in the market for a complete upper my go to place is BCM. Make sure to add BCG and CH which makes it an even better deal

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Get a 1:7 or 1:8 twist. Hardly anyone makes a 1:9 barrel anymore on a production gun. Sure they're out there but everyone has figured out by now that 1:7 will stabilize 55-77gr. Same cannot be said for 1:9 necessarily. You can get BCM, Aero, or PSA premium upper. You can buy the DD or Noveske if you want. They're fine too, just not a must in order to have a quality upper. There's several out there that are GTG.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Thanks for the replies, I've been going through pictures in the AR15 show and tell thread getting ideas on what others are using. I see a lot of Bravo Company.
    Thanks for the twist rate info!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks for the replies, I've been going through pictures in the AR15 show and tell thread getting ideas on what others are using. I see a lot of Bravo Company.
    Thanks for the twist rate info!

And if you ever suppress it, it's nice having the fast twist for the heavier longer bullets

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When I'm in the market for a complete upper my go to place is BCM. Make sure to add BCG and CH which makes it an even better deal
    Great advice right here!
    i love BCM and it's what I consider a top tier AR. I've never ever had an issue with a BCM upper or lower or full rifle and I've ordered a lot of their uppers in 5.56 and also in 300 blackout. I wouldn't think twice about going to war with a BCM (in the extreme possibility obviously).
    and like he mentioned make sure you add the BCG and charging handle with your upper. It's a no brainer because it's like $150 in savings

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    I like LMT too, colt alittle less (new ones) but still good.
    are you running a suppressor?
    are you using the H1 buffer they recommend with their midlength uppers?

Unsuppressed on a Colt 6920 lower with H buffer. Has the BCM BCG too. To clarify, the gun works fine and has had no malfunctions and Im not saying BCM doesnt make a good product. I bought one after hearing how smooth the midlengths shoot and my LMT 14.5 is a much nicer shooting gun with the standard LMT carbine buffer. I guess I will need to try out an H3 buffer and tame it down that way.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Unsuppressed on a Colt 6920 lower with H buffer. Has the BCM BCG too. To clarify, the gun works fine and has had no malfunctions and Im not saying BCM doesnt make a good product. I bought one after hearing how smooth the midlengths shoot and my LMT 14.5 is a much nicer shooting gun with the standard LMT carbine buffer. I guess I will need to try out an H3 buffer and tame it down that way.
    yeah sometimes you never know.
    my 10.3" 5.56 pistol upper is a lmt. I love it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

I have a Noveske 14.5"CHF Mid-Length that is overgassed too. I'm currently running a H3 to tame it down. I plan on using a SpringCo Red to see if that helps as well. On the flip side, my other Noveske 14.5" Afghan ML is properly gassed and runs great with just a H buffer. One was bought when John was still alive while the other is recent production. Go figure.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Buy once, cry once.

I'm a converted BCM guy. I could be persuaded to stray but not likely to buy cheap. It'd almost have to be a comparable manufacture and business. I've got 3 BCM uppers and they are the cats meow

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I too have two BCM uppers. They are one of the safest bets as long as you can get over the laser etched logo on the receiver and the BCG. But then again it makes for easy identification for a suspected buyer if you ever sell it.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Great commentary here--- but any more comments about aero precision? I know you won't get a compete upper assembly from them, but what do you think about their quality?

Top Bottom