• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Recently I have been thinking about building an AR. So I figure the lower is the foundation so it needs to be good quality. So here goes
    What are the recommended brands for a lower?
    Any trigger group/BCG brands to steer clear of?
    and I have been told some lowers use larger diameter pins to attach the upper is this true if so what is recommended?

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    I can quickly speak to the first part. It depends on what the guns for I built one just for fun it consists of this...
    Anderson lower
    Cmmg lpk
    Magpul furniture
    Palmetto upper with there bolt carrier not the PTAC

I see a lot of people bad mouthing the Anderson lowers but the gun has been good for what I do with it probably 3000 rounds through it no problems.

If this is something that you have to rely on to save your life I'm sure someone else can chime in on some nicer more precision builds.

For fun it's perfect probably have $500 in it or so.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok while on the subject are there any parts that should be considered consumable? Such as the little gass rings on the BCG or any springs prone to breakage that I should keep spares for?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I would recommend both an Anderson Upper and Lower to start with...no issues with the ones I've purchased.
    CMMG internals...or Sparks has a nice trigger, it's a little salty, but smooth!
    Barrel...there are a lot out there to choose from...just make sure you go with a quality manufacturer.
    Magpul assessories...can't go wrong with Magpul products!

Lower Assembly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4HteQYanR4

Upper Assembly video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjW87J5MTU

Have fun!

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    How much do you want to spend? I've used $50 lowers and $200 lowers. There is a difference but they all work.

It's really about looks, brand and roll marks.

It is an important part but in most cases a $50 lower will do everything a $200 one will and last forever.

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I really like the Aero lower I used. It wasn't expensive either. I also have to add that I like the rifle I built better than the Stag I bought. Have fun!

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Recently I have been thinking about building an AR. So I figure the lower is the foundation so it needs to be good quality. So here goes
    What are the recommended brands for a lower?
    Any trigger group/BCG brands to steer clear of?
    and I have been told some lowers use larger diameter pins to attach the upper is this true if so what is recommended?

We need an, "Opening a can of worms" emoji.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I have used a CMT Tac lower and an Anderson lower and they both serve the same purpose. One is billet, the other is forged. The CMT has the trigger guard cut in and also a screw on the bolt catch instead of a roll pin. I definitely would not waste any more money than you have to on the lower because it is honestly not the foundation of a good quality AR. It serves no purpose, besides housing components. Use the money for a quality barrel, trigger, and optic. just my two cents.

All triggers are different. I have 2 cheap PSA FCGs and though they have a heavy pull, they really are not that bad of a trigger. There was a good thread just a few days ago on quality drop in triggers. I'd recommend taking a look at that! I plan on purchasing a Velocity or a Geissele.

I have never heard of the takedown pin issue before this. I thought all takedown pins were mil-spec, yet some are extended or have special features to make removing less of a hassle. Trigger group pins on the other hand are different on some guns, Colt comes to mind. They have .170 diameter pins while mil-spec are .154 inch. Hopefully this helps answer your questions.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Good call thinking of building it yourself first of all! The large pin Colt stuff shouldn't be an issue, its pretty much gone the way of the buffalo. I have a smathering of lowers, all have worked well. I prefer my Noveske, Spikes, and Anvil arms (RIP) lowers, however I have zero hate for the Anderson lowers found frequently for 40$. They all work well, I just seem to have less wobble out of the preferred ones, could just be my parts- YMMV. I wouldn't hesitate with most brands honestly, lots of great options. I'd stay away from the PSA PTAC line, but thats only because I feel there are better options. My favorite build includes an Aero M4E1 upper/rail, I plan on buying another.
    BCGs- not a lot of help. I buy good name brands, MPI tested etc. I buy PSA BCGs as they meet my needs, are MPI tested, and I've never had a failure. Rumor has it the premium PSA BCG's were made by Toolcraft, but google sometimes is wrong. Who knows. I wouldn't cheap out though, it "does stuff". :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Choice of lower will depend on you. Others have already said that $50 lowers will do what $200 lowers will. For the most part, they're right. Some are heavier, some are prettier, and some have better QC. It's all about what you want.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Anderson lowers because I don't like the anodizing they use. Its gritty and I just don't like it. Aero Precision will often put out Blem Lowers for 63 bucks a piece and to me that's a MUCH better buy for not a lot of money. Andersons are also reported to be spotty on quality. Theory is that they don't change the tool heads out as often as they should and sometimes holes aren't to spec. There's a lot of stories out there and even on INGO of people needing to tap the pistol grip screw hole further because it wasn't properly done at Anderson. For me, it's worth the extra few bucks to get anodizing that I like better and the knowledge that Aero makes a very nice product.

For triggers, right now I use the ALG ACT, it's a great trigger for the money. I avoid milspec trigger kits because they are inconsistent between brands. Go to RedBarnArmory.com and you can build your lower parts kit with the specific grip, trigger, and other parts you want so you're not buying twice.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. I'm done with Anderson. I bought some a while back and every single one of them had noticeable tool marks and gouges. I'm not buying any more of them when Aero receivers are available for just a few bucks more and are actually nice. No issues with any of my Aeros. They are every bit as nice as any of the higher end forged receivers I've built off of.

Indeed... steer clear of anderson, spend a couple extra $$ for aero or spikes... flame on :flasher:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Opinions are like...............well, you know. Here's mine. After several years and several guns built, I have pretty much figured out what parts I prefer. I've built guns on RRA, Stag, Eagle Arms, DPMS, Del-ton, Bushmaster lowers. Right now I've settled on Aero because I can pick them up locally for $70 each out the door. I don't care for the logo on the Stag Arms. But I wouldn't be afraid of using most any of them.

I like the lower small parts kit from Wilson Combat. Comes with no grip or trigger group. I'm going to pick my own anyway. I also add the Wilson enhanced trigger guard. I think Wilson stuff is good quality even if it costs a bit more.

Grip = BCM mod 3. I buy it, and cut the front lip off because it won't go on with the enhanced guard. But it's cheaper than buying the version without. Can't tell. Works fine.

I like the Spikes Battle Trigger, but have recently tried a Tom's Tactical NP3 trigger and an ALG ACT. I think you'd be good to go with any of them over the milspec trigger, without getting into crazy money.

I find a milspec buffer tube, spring and buffer, and add a Rogers Superstoc (great price at Rousch sports). I'd like to try the Geissele Super 42 braided buffer spring, but haven't yet.

For the upper, I don't need to match companies, but right now I am. I buy Aero. Look at Schuyler for a complete flattop for $65.

I've bought a few Wilson barrels for builds, including my SBR 223 and a recent 300 BLK rifle. Good quality, but a bit more money. Not a necessity.

I've used Daniel Defense Lite rails a few times when I got a good deal on them, but most recently was looking at the Geissele MK4. Ended up saving money and getting an ALG model and am quite happy with it. Geissele quality at a fraction of the cost.

Don't have much opinion on BCG. I've used NiB from Ares Armour, and just used a magnesium phosphate Spikes that I happened to have already.

I spend too much on a charging handle and get the Primary Arms gas buster with a combat latch.

It's a journey. Good to research and ask others. But don't be afraid to try things and figure out what works for you. Most of my parts choices came after buying a factory built Wilson AR (458 SOCOM) and liking how it was built.

As for keeping extra parts...........once you start down this road you will have some. But I would think you have to shoot a lot before you need to be worrying about that. Definitely build your own though. It's enjoyable. Addicting maybe.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, here I am, resident brand snob! First off, I believe you are mistaken in your foundation. The upper GROUP is what you want to focus on. A decent lower with, at a MINIMUM, mil-spec parts will get you by. The upper is where the most attention, and dollars need spent! Along with that, a MINIMUM of a mil-spec BCG is mandatory. LPK from Colt, DD, BCM, or LMT, BCG from same, IN SPEC upper and lower, and a good barrel, I prefer White Oak if building, but call BCM, they can get everything you need,, and if you do your due diligence, you will have a fine rifle. As an aside, I use only mil-spec FCG's, but am not adverse to drop-in trigger groups such as Geiselle, or Larue. I think they are useless to everyday man until you master the platform.

ETA: I don't know much about the AR/M16 platform, just what the DOD paid me to know when the stuff was broked!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    ...not adverse to drop-in trigger groups such as Geiselle, or Larue. I think they are useless to everyday man until you master the platform.
    While I kinda get what you mean, I have to disagree. I think the argument can almost be made that a good trigger can make a newer shooter shoot as if he had more experience than he actually had. I'm not arguing reps and training can be replaced by a 200$ trigger, but I think most people see a pretty positive difference in a nice trigger, regardless of skill level.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Well, here I am, resident brand snob! First off, I believe you are mistaken in your foundation. The upper GROUP is what you want to focus on. A decent lower with, at a MINIMUM, mil-spec parts will get you by. The upper is where the most attention, and dollars need spent! Along with that, a MINIMUM of a mil-spec BCG is mandatory. LPK from Colt, DD, BCM, or LMT, BCG from same, IN SPEC upper and lower, and a good barrel, I prefer White Oak if building, but call BCM, they can get everything you need,, and if you do your due diligence, you will have a fine rifle. As an aside, I use only mil-spec FCG's, but am not adverse to drop-in trigger groups such as Geiselle, or Larue. I think they are useless to everyday man until you master the platform.

ETA: I don't know much about the AR/M16 platform, just what the DOD paid me to know when the stuff was broked!

^This right here. The heart of the AR system is the barrel, bolt, and upper receiver.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ok so I am in Indy, anyone have any recommendations on LGS with a variety of lowers in stock to select from?
    Also, a few years ago I had the old school (A1 style?) carry handle upper receiver removed from my Oly and replaced it with a Bravo Co complete flat top upper with M4 feed ramps. Is something like that what I should be looking for as an upper receiver?
    I know I want to go with a quality chrome lined barrel. I mostly shot 55g PMC bronze ammo. My Oly has a 1:9 twist and shoots the 55g ammo very accurately. I understand twist rate and have recently read posts recommending 1:7 is that more common now?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom