• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Same trigger as any other AK - ALG or Tapco G2. Just feed it whatever ammo you can find cheap.

Keep a very close eye on the front trunnion and bolt after each trip to the range. Watch for any cracks or metal chips from bad heat treating.

Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    Thanks for the info I was leaning towards an alg but is there such a thing a cleaner ak ammo I'm an avid cleaner but don't want to spend a long time cleaning every time I shoot it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Clean AK ammo? Not really. It's an AK, you don't have to clean it at all if you don't want to - at least not for several thousand rounds (check out AKOU for this). The only exception is if you use mil surplus ammo. Even if it says non-corrosive, treat it as corrosive and clean the gun out immediately.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    My ras 47 is partial to the red army standard from century arms. With that stuff it seems to be the most accurate ak type rifle I have owned. That's like saying it's the worlds fastest dump truck though. Or maybe the prettiest pig at the fair.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    It's an AK, you don't have to clean it at all if you don't want to - at least not for several thousand rounds (check out AKOU for this). The only exception is if you use mil surplus ammo.
    I didn't clean mine for several thousand rounds. Milsurp ammo, whatever. The action "froze" in battery and I used my Tokarev to beat it loose. Loaded it back up and kept on trucking.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I want another AK badly. Had a beat up wasr that ran like a top. Never cleaned it and it ran no matter what. Had to sell it to fund another project.

Are these Ras 47 the new wasr basically?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I didn't clean mine for several thousand rounds. Milsurp ammo, whatever. The action "froze" in battery and I used my Tokarev to beat it loose. Loaded it back up and kept on trucking.

If you had the milsurp stuff with the rusting salts and didn't clean it, you'd know it. The chamber and gas tube would be covered in a nice orange. Ask me how I know :)

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I just purchased this gun and was wanting some input on a good trigger and ammo to run through it.
    The trigger in that gun is already as good or better than the standard tapco upgrade everyone does, maybe on of the alg triggers would be an upgrade, but with their recent price jacking they're kind of pricey now.

and I agree on the trunnion wear issue, keep it cleaned and lubed, don't leave any kind of shavings or grit in the receiver that's sure to speed up any wear issies they have

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Never had tapco mags for anything myself, i stick with magpull or combloc mags. The tapco mags, last I knew, had non reinforced feed lips on them.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Haven't had the tapco mags myself, but aside from dropping the mags, or the gun with mag in it you should be okay.
    If you are wanting to do pushups on your gun or roll around on the ground, you'll run into issues.

I can stumble upon surplus AK mags for $5 or so a piece, so if I have to buy, that's my preference

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Play with the tapco mags at the range but wait for a special and just buy 5+ surplus combloc steel mags. Circle 10 and 21 stuff work well too but more $$. You want a steel locking lug and steel reinforced feeding lips or the rifle will mangle it eventually.

Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    Awesome I'm new to the AK so all this info is very helpful I'm sure I could've read it for hours on other sections of this for him but wanted to get some input on the RAS in particular And the mags I got.

Top Bottom