• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Bought a new Howa 1500 with the 24 inch sporter barrel back in December. Was looking for s better deer load than my cheapo Winchester PowerPoints so I decided to try the Hornady American Whitetail round in 150gr.

It tossed 10 shots around an 8 inch circle with no pattern, just randomly high..low...left...right. I tried the 150gr PowerPoints and they were spot on and then shot some .75 inch groups using Federal Gameking 165gr.

I called Legacy Sports and asked what ammo they use to test their guns since they now advertise a 1MOA guarantee. All he said was they use match ammo but he did tell me to never use Hornady American Whitetail. He offered this up without me telling him my experience and when I asked why he said something about headspace issues and how they are hard to close the bolt on. I guess they have too much headspace and that causes the accuracy issue which is exactly what I saw in my testing.

Just passing along

Last edited:

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    A friend of mine set up a Ruger American in 308 and it shot American Whitetails at just under an inch. Every rifle is different.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The point of the post was to inform those with howa rifles that the company does not recommend this ammo. I am sure other rifles shoot it just fine.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you go on Howa's website you'll find that they recommend using Hornady ammo, granted I'm sure their 1moa guarantee is going be with their match offerings, but it should be able to place pretty much any hunting ammo within minute of deer. I'm pretty sure I've ran some of that same ammo through the 308 Targetmaster I had and it did fairly decent within the context of it being a hunting load...

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Mine shoots MOA or less with most ammo. It doesn't like Winchester Power Points. I get 1 1/2" or so groups with them.

Top Bottom