• ...and so much more!
  • chrisrock101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    North Indy
    AR_15_SNIPER_RIFLE_by_tat2tiger.jpg
    For those of you who want a sniper rifle, here is some info for thought I found.
    The AR15 as a sniper rifle? While the debate continues on the acceptability of the .223 Remington cartridge for sniping purposes there is no doubt that the rifle designed to launch it is certainly up to the task, at least within Clearly Defined Limits. The AR15 in target, match and varmint configurations is probably the most accurate semi-automatic rifle in the world. Only custom tuned rifles can match its out of box accuracy. Some can not maintain this level of accuracy for very long while others can do so but at prices that place them completely out of the budgetary range of LE or civilian shooters. The AR based accuracy rifle on the other hand, is both affordable (by comparison) and easily created. I will not attempt to address the suitability of this .224 - 5.56mm projectile for sniping purposes in this article. There are far more knowledgeable authorities than I that can better debate the issue. All I will say is that within given limits, the round is usable. I would not consider it viable where glass penetration is an issue nor where Long Range was the norm. But it does appear to be affective at Law Enforcement ranges. It will certainly do nasty things to the human body out to a respectable distance. The real issue has more to do with how it performs against objects like body armor, glass or cover. In terms of terminal ballistics, a 150 yard head shot taken with a 62 grain or 69 grain .223 would certainly do the job. Some Law Enforcement specific loads may even do better. This would seem to place the round into the realm of LE sniper operations. With in the military, an heavy barreled M16 variant mounting a Flat Top upper and decent optical device would certainly make a respectable spotter's rifle as it provides rapid fire for team protection and has acceptable stopping power at combat ranges. While it is not ideal for the primary weapon, it is an excellent choice for the team where the odds of discovery are high. The spotter can carry a large combat load in comparison to a .308 rifle and it is far more controllable when the need for rapid fire becomes apparent. As a backup, it can also suffice for sniping out to and beyond 400 yards when necessary.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    AR_15_SNIPER_RIFLE_by_tat2tiger.jpg
    For those of you who want a sniper rifle, here is some info for thought I found.
    The AR15 as a sniper rifle?

Yup, chamber it in 6.5 Grendel and if the shooter is capable, then if you can see it you can kill it. Properly loaded, Grendel bullets stay supersonic out past 1000 yards, have less drop/drift than the 308 and retain greater velocity and energy at those ranges with only 1/2 the recoil of the 308.

Here is one of my Grendels that is not set up for 1000 yard shooting, but is plenty accurate to long ranges:
    2-3-1.jpg

And here is another, this one with a laser rangefinding scope for long range shooting:
    1-long-range.jpg

I've got a third, full custom, long range 6.5 Grendel, but no photo :n00b:

I do agree that the AR15 platform can be amazingly accurate. The 6.5 Grendel pretty much maximizes its long range potential.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Have a DPMS Panther Bull 20, looking to put a Night Vision scope on it next year, need at least a 200 yard recognition range, 300 yard detection range, purpose is coyote hunting [and for other purposes]. Price range under $2500.00. Any suggestions?

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Go with the 6.5, 6.8, 308, 243, man there are alot of ar style rifles out there for a sniper. That is what is so neat about the ar platform. Even though for the 308, 243 you will have to go with the ar10 style. Worth it though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Go with the 6.5, 6.8, 308, 243, man there are alot of ar style rifles out there for a sniper. That is what is so neat about the ar platform. Even though for the 308, 243 you will have to go with the ar10 style. Worth it though.

I wouldn't choose the 6.8 for sniper use, the round runs out of power way too fast and even Remington has downgraded their ballistics by roughly 200fps.

As for the 243, there is an AR15 alternative choice for that round. Its the 243WSSM. That is available in the AR15 platform (uppers are available from Dtech, Accuracy Int'l and full guns from Olympic Arms), its ideal for long range work and would make an excellent coyote gun that could reach out easily to 600+ yards with the right loads.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Hehe, hey MD, at first glance, I saw this rifle:

dewalt_2D16_2Dnailgun.jpg

:):

Nice rifles BTW, I really want a 6.5 grendel, but I'm not sure I want to pay to feed it/stockpile it like all my other calibers.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Hehe, hey MD, at first glance, I saw this rifle:

dewalt_2D16_2Dnailgun.jpg

:):

Nice rifles BTW, I really want a 6.5 grendel, but I'm not sure I want to pay to feed it/stockpile it like all my other calibers.
    I was thinking the same thing! All you need to do is get a couple DeWalt stickers and call it your nail driver that can put up a fence at 100 yds. What size of nail does that take? :D

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Its funny that this thread came up because I was just thinking the same thing. A couple of weeks ago we had a call out on male refusing to come out of the house after a domestic battery. ERT was called and a perimeter was set up. One of our observer snipers was across the street glassing the front of the house while I was in the field out back watching the back. Everything turned out ok, the entry team took him into custody (after me laying out for three hours gettng bug bit to heck). I was armed with a Remington 700 .308 but it was so dang dark that I was having a hard time picking up the crosshairs. I was also within 50 yards of the back door. I starting thinking that if things went bad and he came out back armed, I was going to have some difficulty picking up a moving target with a bolt gun due to the limted visibilty because of the dark. I was thinking that as close as I was I would have been much better served with something like a 20 inch flattop with a lower powered scope with an illuminated reticle. I would have had the accuracy needed to complete the primary task,and if it turned into a running fight the AR would have been much easier to swing onto an unanticipated area and follow up shots would have been much easier. I have a stripped Smith lower that I will be building into just such a configuration because of this.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    :+1:

The AR has already been implemented in sniper roles for sometime now. It is called the Special Purpose Rifle.;)

United States Navy Mark 12 Mod X Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Aside from the Mk12 Mod 0 and Mod 1, there are a couple others:

• Big Army has the Squad Designated Marksman program along with the Squad Designated Marksman Rifle which is an M16 with a new 1-in-8 20" SS Barrel (Douglas I believe), Match 2-Stage Semi-Auto Trigger, DD M4 free float rail system and optics. Came about to help bridge the gap between standard engagement distances and where the snipers take over (from what I've heard, 300 to 600 yards).
    • USMC has a similar rifle in the SAM-R (Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle), just slightly different specs. My info on that is a 1-in-7 20" SS (Kreiger/Compass Lake Barrel I believe) and a KAC Rail System.
    • The "RECCE" Rifle, 16" Stainless Barrel w/ Midlength Gas System. Don't know much more about this one other than what is one the Wiki page for it. Reads like a go-between between a door kicker gun and a Mk12 Mod0/1.
    Not sniper rifles, per say, but AR's that were designed more for precision shooting.

I'm working on something that could best be described as something like a SPR/SDMR/SAMR combination . . . think of it as a Mk12 Mod2.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Yup, chamber it in 6.5 Grendel and if the shooter is capable, then if you can see it you can kill it. Properly loaded, Grendel bullets stay supersonic out past 1000 yards, have less drop/drift than the 308 and retain greater velocity and energy at those ranges with only 1/2 the recoil of the 308.

And that is why I am building one.

Top Bottom