• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    I have been looking for a HD shotgun, been eyeballing Mossbergs and Remeingtons, but a local pawn shop has a Winchester 1300 Defender for a little over $200. I would look be looking to add a pistol grip to it taking the total cost around $300-350. Asking for Pro, Cons and ideas.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    The Defender will serve you well. I'm pleased with the synthetic stock and, after trying a HD shotgun with pistol grip, decided to keep mine the way it came.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    200 for the gun itself seems like a good deal. One that That I like is that some reviews say they cycle the short shotgun loads well.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've owned a few of the 120/1200/1300 series. They are slicker than the Remingtons and have the slide release where it should be. I have been told they aren't as robust but mine have run a ton of rounds just fine.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Good shotgun for the money. You should be able to find a much cheaper grip set.

I like a pistol grip but I like to have the grip plus the full stock as well. For me, a full stock (and shotgun) beats an AR or pistol because of the less lethal options it provides. I'd much rather fight someone with a baseball bat (shotgun) than a brick (handgun).

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    The price options on grip/stocks was just a quick look. I was just looking for info, I am not familiar with the model. But I like the feel of it and the overall length. Thanks for the info everyone.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    is this the older wood furniture 1300?? or the SPX version?? I really love the older defender's and the SPX I have is good but not as good in my opinion.. I would trade my newer on for a older one any day with some ammo to boot... I keep looking but have not found one.. congrats on finding a older one. I bought a ATI stock for mine for about 75.00 shipped.. good luck with whatever you find.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I really like my Winchester 1300 more so than my Mossberg 500. I think a HD gun needs a light and a few more shells attached. Not really familiar with aftermarket options on them. I prefer to use something mag fed.

I attached shells using velcro on the stock and then on the back of the shell holder. I never really liked the stiff shell holders on the side. Plus this way you can keep several loaded and swap them out. I also usually store the shotgun with a holder on each side and then take the side off I'm using as a cheek weld because it makes it uncomfortable.
    IMG_4822.jpg

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive had mine since the mid 90's, originally a "house" gun. bought it new for $225

it's had a LOT of rounds put through it shooting bowling pin and 2/3 gun matches.

the action, even when new, felt smoother than any other pump gun i've ever shot, and i was faster shooting pins with the pump than i was with a remington 1100.

:cheers:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The 1300 doesn't get anywhere near the recognition that the 870 and 500 do, but by all accounts, it's an excellent shotgun.
    If the condition is very good, I'd jump right on it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If money is a concern I'd just run it without a pistol grip. I personally have always looked at them as more of a cosmetic feature for some than a useful "upgrade." I think if you just get a light on one you are pretty good to go for home defense unless your mag tube capacity is super limited.

Top Bottom