• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    When I was younger we used to try to hunt rabbits with .22lg semi autos. It was far more fun that actually putting game in the bag, but we managed to get a few here and there, especially when we had friends beagles.

Those days were well before the red dot times but I still rabbit hunt with 22lg bolt but want to set up a rig with a semi and red dot for fast acquisition and the ability to rip off 5-10 shots at a running rabbit.

I don't mind spending a little money for a good, quality set up. Maybe up to $600-700 total. And I don't really want an AR style gun. More traditional hunting rifle is my style. 10/22, Marlin, CZ are thought but others? and red dots? I know nothing of them.

So what are you thinking?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would suggest a 10/22 and a burris fastfireIII.. I don't hunt anymore but have that setup and I think it would be ideal and you new price you would probably have $600 in it.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Marlin model 60 with Vortex Viper or 10/22 with same optic. The FF is ok, but the Viper is really good. I have one on my Fnx45 T and it's very clear, bright and fast. Just remember to unlock the adjustments prior to mounting. With a good rail, you will still be under $600 either way.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Can't go wrong with a 10/22. Lots of accesories for it and parts everywhere.

Red dot wise I'm not sure. I use aimpoints but that may be overkill for a 22lr.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I like the idea of a tube feed (Marlin) for easy of reloading in the field with cold hands and the added 4 shots in the mag I guess I could get several rotary mags and just lug them around (10/22). I can easily rip off 40-50 shots at rabbits in a hour or two.

The one issue with the red dot is I would like something 2MOA, if there is such a thing. I have one, Aimpoint I that's 3 MOA and believe it will be a little larger than I would like on a running rabbit. But would value your opinions as have never used a red dot while hunting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like the idea of a tube feed (Marlin) for easy of reloading in the field with cold hands and the added 4 shots in the mag I guess I could get several rotary mags and just lug them around (10/22). I can easily rip off 40-50 shots at rabbits in a hour or two.

The one issue with the red dot is I would like something 2MOA, if there is such a thing. I have one, Aimpoint I that's 3 MOA and believe it will be a little larger than I would like on a running rabbit. But would value your opinions as have never used a red dot while hunting.
    I think the Vortex Sparc is 2 MOA if I recall.

Edit: I just checked the box my Sparc II came in and it is indeed 2 MOA.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I think the Vortex Sparc is 2 MOA if I recall.

Edit: I just checked the box my Sparc II came in and it is indeed 2 MOA.

Plus+1!

Love Vortex optics. Have a couple that are great as well as a nice pair of binos.

2 MOAs over 3MOA for a running rabbit? I think so but maybe someone has more experience to guide me.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    When I was a kid I used a Remington nylon 66 to hunt rabbits-it is very light and handles great -shot thousands of rounds thru it and never had a misfire-it holds 14 rounds of ammo and shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger and very accurate.I had more fun with that gun than any of my others-you need to give one a try.

Top Bottom