• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been looking at Krags for awhile now, and bought a sporterized version some while back. In my searches, the ones in original military configuration have just gone out of my price range, but I always see a bunch that have been cut down and sporterized. Then it occurred to me that I was looking at this the wrong way. There is such a variety of these old sporters out there that one could come up with a pretty sizeable collection of just those. I know that purists want the originals, but since most of these were probably sporterized in the 1920's and 30's, they still fit my interest in old wood and steel guns. Anyhow, found this one on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago and it arrived Tuesday. Haven't had it to the range yet, but I think I'm going to like it. It has been cut down from a long rifle to a 22" carbine configuration, and the rear sight replaced with a vintage Redfield peep sight. Now I need to get to making some more ammo from 303 brass. :)

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That is nice and is a really great choice for a Krag shooter. Anytime I cycle the bolt on a Krag I am always left in awe of the production quality of a standard military issue weapon from that era.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I do not know... Seems like a lot of clowns have Krags

charlie-chaplin-krag-2533.gif

400px-Curlykrag.jpg

spook-louder-three-stooges-caretakers-gun-fires.png

Hogans_Heroes_-_Kar_6.jpg

Hogans_Heroes_-_Kar_5.jpg

Civilize 'em with a Krag....

On the more realistic side there was a rather harsh barracks song sung during the Philippine War
    that featured the Krag in the refrain

Warning this is a Wartime song with wartime emotions

Damn, Damn, Damn the Filipinos

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Bannerman sporterized many of those back in the day...A few others did as well...This one looks good and could be one of those...Very nice Doggydaddy...Congrats on a fine gun with a WOOD stock!!!! :)

Nice to have you back...You had myself and the two Mikes worried for a bit....:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is nice and is a really great choice for a Krag shooter. Anytime I cycle the bolt on a Krag I am always left in awe of the production quality of a standard military issue weapon from that era.
    Oh yeah. Like buttah! I think they're every bit as nice as an Enfield action, if not better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bannerman sporterized many of those back in the day...A few others did as well...This one looks good and could be one of those...Very nice Doggydaddy...Congrats on a fine gun with a WOOD stock!!!! :)

Nice to have you back...You had myself and the two Mikes worried for a bit....:)

This and the Trump Presidency is proof that prayers work

Don't cry for me... Truth is I never left you... (with apologies to the writers of Evita) ;)

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Bannerman sporterized many of those back in the day...

You know it is fun to blame Bannerman for all kinds of sporterization sins of the past... But in this case it may not be so.. From their 1929 catalog. Bannerman was selling both a Sporter and full stocked version.. But they are asking more for the full stocked Krag over the sporter.

2wefnzb.jpg

3136h3m.jpg

I do not think Bannerman would take the time to cut down rifles and then sell them for less... In this case alot of the blame falls on the Benocia Arsenal and the NRA. Benocia sporterized lots of Krags and sold them to the NRA. Benocia did it to keep their workers working. The NRA sold them as "NRA Carbines".

Long may the Bannerman castle stand.. Long may the the Polopel sail

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    [QUOTE
    3136h3m.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Just for the fun side of things, note the description of uses for the "Russian Springfield Military Rifle" ( or MOSIN) under the Krag.. Obviously the American Legion back then were a tough bunch of Hombres that did not tolerate fools in the organization..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doggy Daddy, are you sure that you have a sporterized Krag rifle or possibly a lightly modified M1896 carbine?

I'm pretty sure it's been cut down (at least that's what the Gunbroker description said). It does appear to have an original front sight though. The original rear sight was removed and it appears to have been longer than it would have been for a carbine (I think). If it was an original carbine then I got a lot better deal than I thought. Those darn things are pricey!

Top Bottom