• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, a month ago I purchased a VEPR, and I love it. I wanted another AK variant, so I ordered the PSAK47 build kit and barreled receiver.

During my three week wait for it to ship, I read some terrible reviews. The carriers are cast, lower handguard notches are incorrect, the carriers are peening in several areas, gas pistons are roll pinned, not riveted. PSA now has two tiers of build kits, Freedom and Premium. However nothing is shipping as they wait for forged carriers to arrive, since they advertised no cast parts, and then sold all of their rifles with cast carriers.

I canceled that order. They really screwed the pooch with this rollout of the Gen2.

I went to Centerfire Guns and purchased a new WASR10. Installed the MOE kit that I had purchased for the PSAK, a Wolf +15 recoil spring and the AKT Enhanced trigger (which is sweet as can be). I will fire it tomorrow.

The MOE kit needed some fitting. The upper hand guard interfered with the lower, and the gas tube would not sit in its channel, so that had to be sanded carefully on its underside. The rear tang screw that's provided for the stock is too short to engage the threads on the threaded insert, so a trip to the hardware was required (these are all common issues).

The trigger group was easy. The trigger pull is SHORT, so there is a tight tolerance with the safety selector, in order to avoid the ability to fire the weapon with the safety on. It's .010" or less, so the feeler gauges came out. Luckily it didn't require shimming, my rifle was in spec.

The trigger comes with an additional trigger spring, in case you want to increase the pull... it is VERY light. I did not install it.

It was delivered in three days, with cleaning rod, bayonet lug, cleaning kit, and one PMag. The Pmag and my US Palm mags are a little sloppy, but should operate fine. I did watch MrGunsnGear describe the WASR inspection, and mine met all of those criteria.

Century had awesome packaging. Nice, solid, foam lined box... unlike my VEPR from Atlantic that came in a beat up carboard box with no padding, and parts floating around with the rifle.

Impressed with the shipping, rifle arrived in excellent condition, a couple hours to fit the new parts... tomorrow is play time.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
      IMG_0537.JPG
      548.9 KB · Views: 44

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Nice gun!

I have an AKT as well in my AK, with some extra polishing. It's almost too light for a fighting rifle. I need to get busy with it some more to get used to it.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Nice call on the WASR, if they weren't sold out when I went to order mine I would have had one of those PSA kits myself. I bought a real kit instead, can't go wrong with combloc for an AK

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I'm back from the range. All in all, the rifle was excellent.

I went with 4 loaded mags, one Magpul that came with the rifle, and several US Palm mags. The US Palm mags averaged 6 failures to feed, per mag. Complete crap. On occasion, after clearing the malfunction, reinserting the mag, and operating the bolt... it still would not pick up the round. Not to mention the US Palm mags are also much more difficult to load.

The Magpul was flawless... so, that's where I will be spending $$ from this point on. I'm also looking to unload these US Palm mags.

The rifle ran great, it was nearly sighted in out of the box. It's a couple inches to the right on paper, but the forward sight drum is offset to left anyway, so centering it should put me in the hole. So, the irons are GTG.

I wasn't performing mag dumps, I had several seconds between shots, however she was smokin! What a beautiful sight, indeed.

I have it disassembled now and wiped everything down, inspected parts for obvious peening or strange witness marks from contact... nothing. The bolt carrier is pristine, didn't even remove the finish from the tail.

The WASR is GTG... Centerfire shipped it very quickly (same day I ordered), Century packaged is so nicely, and obviously did a good job with assembly. The milled magazine well is nice and smooth, no burs, no unfinished edges either, so no concern about rust later.

The AKT trigger is a little terrifying however... it's very light. I think I will install the added spring to bring the weight to a more reasonable level. The pull is short, smooth, and has a crisp, very short reset. Nice trigger, but damn it is light.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad to hear you had an overall good time with your WASR. May I suggest you look at the standard metal military mags that the AK/AKM uses as they are extremely reliable. They have to be if they are military. About the only country I have heard to avoid is Korean, otherwise any Euro or Chinese mag would be a good addition.

If you think your WASR trigger is light, fire it a bit, then fire a Norinco of any flavor. I was at the range a while back with an SAR-1, basically a WASR brother except it has a standard mag well directly from the factory. I then went to a Norinco 84S (granted it is .223 but otherwise identical to the 56S) and the first round was almost by accident. Zero creep, and true single stage instant firing on moving the trigger. Took a couple of rounds to get used to it after the Romy.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Glad to hear you had an overall good time with your WASR. May I suggest you look at the standard metal military mags that the AK/AKM uses as they are extremely reliable. They have to be if they are military. About the only country I have heard to avoid is Korean, otherwise any Euro or Chinese mag would be a good addition.

If you think your WASR trigger is light, fire it a bit, then fire a Norinco of any flavor. I was at the range a while back with an SAR-1, basically a WASR brother except it has a standard mag well directly from the factory. I then went to a Norinco 84S (granted it is .223 but otherwise identical to the 56S) and the first round was almost by accident. Zero creep, and true single stage instant firing on moving the trigger. Took a couple of rounds to get used to it after the Romy.

Lighter than the AKT Enhanced trigger?! I mean, I can barely feel this trigger before it breaks... it's infinitely better than my Enhanced AR triggers.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I do love the VEPR rear sight leaf... it is quality, and offers a very convenient windage adjustment. I took some measurements and it is identical to the WASR leaf. I found that Krebs has the VEPR rear leaf for $20, as a new takeoff when they perform conversions. It's in the mail... I will install that next week.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a completely stock Century WASR that I bought several years ago, before the prices went way up. I love the thing, smooth trigger, straight sights, shoots very well with the steel surplus mags I stocked up on from Aim surplus, never tried any other mags, and never had a failure. For a very inexpensive rifle, it will easily out perform my abilities.:):

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I did some research on the AKT hammer, as it has a unique profile. Not a good profile. I did notice that if I rode the charging handle a bit, that the Bcg would hang up on the hammer. I also noticed that the profile had a very sharp transition that impacted the bottom corner of the Bcg tail. Upon reading some of Robskis observations, I decided to reprofile it. I basically did what is seen all over the web with the G2 hammers. Now the Bcg tail strikes on a fairly continuous radius.

The rifle shipped with the Rak-1 FCG, which has a similar profile to what I have now ground. The PSA hammer has the same profile as my VEPR hammer, where the tail impacts a flat, vertical surface.

I will run it this week for another 120 rounds, and see how the tail looks. It did, after the first outing, have a small burr on each side of the tail from minimal peening, right where the AKT hammer corner struck. I didn't notice it until I saw Robskis video.

I figured either the hammer would screw me, or I'd screw the hammer... so the hammer it was. Why do they profile these hammers different than combloc hammers?

Also, after reprofiling and polishing the hammer face... the hammer no longer acts as a BHO.

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Nice score I have had a few newer wasr 10s. One of my favorite akm's still to this day is a straight looking wasr 10/63 must be that damn arsenal stamp lol

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Since I had never shot the WASR with the new FCG that Century is installing, the RAK-1, I polished mine up with a dremel and installed it tonight. Nice little trigger in fact. Not as light and touchey as the AKT, but very smooth with a very predictable and clean break. When my VEPR rear leaf arrives in a couple days, I will have her back at the range for a test.

Still no response from US Palm about my mags.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    So, I decided to hit the range again with the RAK-1 FCG... I actually prefer this to the ALG.

#1 the ALG is really too light
    #2 the profile of the ALG hammer will do a number on the bcg tail
    #3 the ALG hammer profile causes a crap ton of drag on the bcg, creating a pseudo BHO
    #4 I think the hammer profile was creating too much drag... now my US Palm mags seem to function perfectly. Not one failure to feed today... which is a stark contrast from my first outing.

Round count is only at 160... but I see no odd wear on the rifle.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Round count is at 240 now. No strange wear, or peening... everything looks new.

I received my VEPR rear sight leaf with windage adjustment this week (lost under the mail mans floor mat for a week). Installed easy, took her to the range, zeroed her in. I much prefer the rear windage, than pushing the front sight.

I ran only the US Palm magazines today, and it ran perfectly except for one round, mid mag, that sat so low that the bolt did not pick it up. I removed the mag, removed the round, reloaded the round, and continued on with no issue. Maybe a sticky follower?

US Palm did reach out to me today, however I think the mags will be fine for range use... maybe more, if they prove themselves over time.

The carrier tail has a little work hardening going on, but the RAK-1 hammer is profiled in such a way that it is really easy on the carrier.

I love this little rifle, can't wait to take it out again next week!

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Round count 280. After a little ballistics research I decided to zero it at 25 meters with the (2) on the rear leaf. Arsenal recommends this with their weapons from what I gather, so it should be zero at 25 and 200 with only a little variance at 100m which could be compensated for with the leaf on (1).

Still, I have one problem US Palm mag that will fail to feed on the 25th round from the mag. Just that one. I don't understand how, or why, but every time. The other three magazines seem fine, and the Magpul never did have a problem.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I like the handguard... it has not gotten hot. On the first day out, the entire rifle was smoking, burning off some of that packing grease, handguard were still cool. However, there isn't very good venting on them.

Ive had spotty performance yet from the US Palm mags, so I purchased a few 40rd Bulgarian Bullet mags. They are poly, with steel reinforced feed lips. I just want to see how they feed. I will probably end up buying some decent steel mags in the end.

I will get to the range in Tuesday to run the Bulgarian mags, and ltry out the new VG6 Epsilon comp/brake

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Looks great. I wouldn't mind getting another WASR but the last one I bought was under $400 so I hate to buy at the current prices. I sold the other one during the great panic and doubled my money on it, assuming that one day they would be under 400 again.

Top Bottom