• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm invited to a pheasant hunt in the not too distant future.

Somehow, a shotgun has never found its way into my safe.

I know the very basics. I get sxs o/u pump etc. And I know if I show up with a superposed, I won't embarrass myself. But I'm not sure I want to throw that amount of cash at the activity.

What type, brand etc would you suggest? I'm savvy enough to know a pistol grip and extended magazine won't fly, but open to all suggestions.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I shoot benelli for all my bird hunting and I do a ton of it... I am very partial to them, especially after my time in Argentina working at a lodge and seeing them keep on trucking for thousands of rounds when others pooped out. I've run my personal one so dirty, dropped it underwater on duck hunts and in the mud on goose hunts and it just always works. I think I have more confidence in it than I have in any other gun I own. It's been used and abused (in good ways) more than any other gun I own too.

That being said, buying a benelli is expensive! I've only got one (SBE2), but I'll be picking up an M2 for my significant other for hunting probably after next season if not before. I cannot recommend them highly enough, but you could spend more on the gun than you would on the rest of your trip if you do the trip cheap.

In all honesty though a simple 870 pump will kill them just as dead. I hunted with a Remington for years and it worked just fine. I like the SX3s and Beretta shotguns too. They are very soft shooters and as long as they are clean they seem to run very well. I think if you are on a budget the SX3 is a good choice because they are much lower price. A buddy of mine chose to upgrade to one from a mossberg pump last season and he got it out for door for 900 and some odd dollars. I do like a semi auto for hunting more than a pump but again it's personal preference.

There are so many good shotguns out there. There are some browning options, heck there are even some Benelli copies that flat out run. So don't count some of those out either. In summation I'd consider a Benelli, SX3, Benelli copy or a mossberg or remington pump if on a budget just get a bird barrel. I've had 28" and 26" barrels, and I prefer the 26", especially by the time you throw and extended choke tube like a pattern master or kicks or something in it. It doesn't apply to pheasant hunting but having a few inches less saves in blinds.

Have you considered borrowing a gun from a friend or do you prefer to own your own? If you'll use it again buy a nice one. But with your reservation on spending money I'd think otherwise. I'd also buy a 12 so you can use it more... Shooting pheasants and doves with a 20gage is great but you most certainly can shoot them (especially pheasants) with a 12 no problem.

I'm also in to see what other people recommend.

MrAverage

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Terre Haute
    I'm far from an expert and there are probably a hundred suitable choices, but I'll suggest a Remington 1100. I'd go with a more sporting 20 gauge as well (instead of the meat tenderizing 12 gauge). Grew up with one and regret letting it go.

On a tangent, where are you going this time of year? Tell them not to club'em too hard before you go out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester model 97 12 gauge, modified choke as I'm assuming you will be using a dog.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I grew up in rural Minnesota. My first pheasant hunt was with grandpa's old single shot 12 gauge when I was a teen. It killed them dead when I could get on the bird. Later, my bride purchased a Fox Model B side by side for our first anniversary in 1971. I rarely got the chance for a follow up shot with the other barrel.

I guess what I am saying is, don't spend a lot of money on a shotgun for your first hunt. Darn things go up so fast you may be so startled that you won't get a shot off anyway. Have fun and be safe.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm far from an expert and there are probably a hundred suitable choices, but I'll suggest a Remington 1100. I'd go with a more sporting 20 gauge as well (instead of the meat tenderizing 12 gauge). Grew up with one and regret letting it go.

On a tangent, where are you going this time of year? Tell them not to club'em too hard before you go out.

i suppose not to distant is a pretty vague idea timeline. Sometime this year. So I've got some time to shop for the right firearm.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I'll second the Remington 1100. I'm partial to them and they just work. I've went bird hunting, shot clays, and also have a short slug barrel for another. If you like beautiful wood stocks, it is what I would suggest. If you prefer synthetic, I know a lot of waterfowl hunters than use Benelli or Browning.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There are lots of choices most of which are personal preference. So let me ask what kind of Pheasant hunting? Are we talking about a hunting/shooting preserve..aka game farm where the birds are farm raised and released? Or are we talking about a trip to South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska etc to hunt wild birds? This will make a big difference.
    Birds on a game farm will usually sit tighter to cover and often you will almost have to kick them or walk on top of them to make them flush. That means you can more easily get away with a 20g with a more open choke like improved cylinder.
    If you are hunting out west with wild birds the game gets harder. First off it's often windy and that effects how the dog points and how close the dog can ease up on a bird. Also wild birds know when you are in the area and will often "flush wild" which is to say they flush far enough out that you would benefit from having a tighter choke like modified or even full. And for wild birds I recommend 12g. Bigger shell means you get more shot and more oomph behind it and a little bigger patern. Keep in mind since shot spreads the larger 12g doesn't damage anymore meat than a 20g (unless you shoot game too close) <- FACT.Also consider that you have to carry that shotgun.. Game farms (in my experience) a hunt usually onlynlasts a few hours. Wild bird hunting you can walk for hours...remember many places out west don't have as many fences and roads so you can walk...A LOT. As for brands and gun types personally I'm mostly a Browning man. My prefrences for someone buying a first scatter gun would be..
    Pump guns- Browning BPS, Remington 870 wingmaster, Mossberg, Benelli.
    Semi autos- Benelli, Browning, Beretta, Stoeger (licensed to use Benelli's inertia driven design)
    SxS and O/U's - Same brands above but are often heavier due to the second barrel and you sacrifice an extra shot. And they are often more expensive than needed. I usually hunt with a 12g Browning BPS or my B-80 semi auto (no longer made) for wild birds..game farms I wouldn't hesitate to use the same guns but can carry a heavier SxS for the shorter day of hunting. Hope this helps

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    On a budget, go with what has a proven track record: Remington 870 or Mossberg 500
    Willing to pay just a wee bit more: Ithaca 37, Browning BPS, Benelli Nova
    Willing to pay more still: Remington 1100, one of the Benelli autos
    Willing to pay major bucks: the aforementioned Superposed

You'll do just fine with an 870 or 500, though.
    Just be sure to break it in a bit to slick it up if you want quicker followup shots, something you can accomplish by sitting in an easy chair and racking it repeatedly a few hundred times...UNLOADED OF COURSE.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why sit in an easy chair and work the slide to slick it up? That will work... but I say get out and shoot the darn thing, shooting clays is a lot more fun and good practice. But I agree with others since this would be your first shotgun, there's nothing wrong with any of the guns recommended. Again it's mostly going to be personal prefrence and what fits you.
    Fit is going to make the biggest difference. Can also make a big difference if you are right or left handed. Looks like you live in indy, so I would recommend going out to the Indiana Gun Club in the Geist area. They have several shotguns on hand and can help you pick something that fits properly. Most LGS and big box stores lack experience with checking how it fits

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I can't believe no one has mentioned a Winchester Model 12! I like the 97 too Leadeye!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    For pheasant hunting I like the Ithaca Mod 37. I have seen several at shows recently for around 200 bucks in 20ga. Extremely light weight and easy to carry. Makes for a nice hunt.

I would also second the motion to go 20ga. Guns are way lighter and you can carry more ammo without giving up on power. Left a lot of birds in the field that were pretty much ground burger due to a blast from a 12ga.

Want to go something new, more modern, easy to break down and clean? I like the Benelli Nova. I think it is totally utility and is the Glock of the shotgun world. It also comes in camo. After the pheasant hunt I am sure it would make it to the range to sling some slugs. Great fun!

Last but not least you absolutely couldn't go wrong with any Rem 870.

Can you just barrow a shotty? See if you want to do more hunts or if you even dig a shot gun.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know I am going to sound like an ass here but really I don't mean any offense to anyone. All y'all that keep talking about 12g being a meat tenderizer, damaging too much meat, heavy, or leaving game behind because it was too damaged...man up. I have been carying a 12g for rabbit, squirrel, dove, quail, and pheasant since I was 11yrs old. The only time it causes any more damage to the meat is if you shoot while the game is too close or you need to learn to lead the animal better. It has never been a problem to use 12g for me, my brother,dad uncle and several others I hunt with. Heck I wouldn't even have a 20g in my safe but for the fact my daughter needed a youth model to fit her. 12 does everything a 20 will do and if you hunt wild birds you will want the bigger shell for the additional shot and energy behind it. I recommend #4 shot for wild birds and #6 shot for farm raised. And it's my opinion if you kill it you should try to make use of it. And if you leave it behind I would hope you have enough integrity to count it toward your bag limit. Again no offense meant, for what it's worth that is my .02cents. Alright carry on just don't get carried away

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes I do but remember you have to use the appropriate choke and the right shells for the job. And of course if they are on the move you lead them if they sit still choot em in the head. Now I will say that sometimes, I hunt squirrel with a .22 as well.

Top Bottom