• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm trying to decide on a gas block/tube for an AR build I'm collecting parts for. I'll be using an 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system with a 15" handguard over it. So, the gas block will have to be low pro. My questions come down to aluminum vs steel, what type, and what kind of gas tube? I know that the gas system is important and a good, quality gas block will be used. But, what are the advantages between steel and aluminum. Obviously, steel is heavier, but other than that, I'm kind of clueless. Is set screw/dimpled barrel better than clamp on with out dimpling? Is a pinned style better? Just from a cursory search through several manufacturers' websites, I've noticed that gas tubes are all in the $10-20 range. From what I've read in other semi-related threads, all gas tubes are NOT created equal. Then why is there not much difference in price? Is there a huge difference between melonited vs stainless? This rifle will be a range toy and, possibly, an way to get into shooting sports. I'm not building a race gun or anything like that. If I try some shooting sports and decide to pursue them wholeheartedly, then I'll get something designed for that at a later date. This rifle is my first foray into the platform. Not a crap gun, but not a $3000 build either. Thanks for any help. It's very much appreciated!

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    One thing that I have done is to take a milspec front sight and cut off the sight tower and bayonette lug, ground them smooth and then paint with black header paint. The handguard covered the gas block and was not noticable. Pinned gas blocks don't move unlike some set screw units. I have several rifles with set screws and the hold fine as long as a purple or blue thread locker is used. A milspec gas tube should be fine. Just buy from a known manufacturer with a good reputation. As you have mentioned, you are looking to build a range gun. As an example, doing something like topping a stock barrel / non-free float barrel rifle with a high dollar benchrest scope is a waste of hard earned money. The same thing goes for adding a $200 match trigger on a basic range gun is another waste of money. If you are interested in possibly getting into shooting sports, begin building your rifle around the rules. No reason to build something that is outside the scope of the rules for the sport you are looking at.

Top Bottom