• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I recently stumbled upon my "grail" Marlin Model 60. The guy had it listed with a (mounted backwards) Gamo scope/rings, rifle case, 550rd brick of Federal copper HP's...all for a paltry 100. It was hard to tell in the pictures but when we got to the meetup and I saw the serial number started with a 14 my heart dropped.
    I finally found a 1986 Marlin Model 60 with the 4 coveted features all in one package: 22" barrel, 18rd mag tube, LSHO, 3rd screw
    When I got this thing torn apart it looked like it had never been cleaned lol. It took quite a while to get all of the little chunks of debris and carbon deposits loosened and removed. The micro groove bore is shiny and spotless. The wood isn't perfect nor is the receiver but both very solid. I am having a problem with the inner mag not wanting to slide in and out of the outer mag tube very easily. The function is still there but when I was installing the Uncle Mike's tube magazine sling swivel, I could tell the outer tube is a little misshapen. I may just grab another 20" outer mag tube for $40 on gunbroker or see if my local gunsmith can easily reshape this one. It was easy to mount the sling studs and since the rifle is so light I just used a plain black butler creek sling. At Cabela's I found a great set of Burris rings that work perfectly with the Vortex Crossfire II Rimfire that I just got from Alan at A&A Optics. I foresee lots of rabbit in my future.

00202_tjOkeahb6F_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_kgKagg1blo2_1200x900.jpg

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Nice Little Rifle

I've never understood why these were so inexpensive. Marlin, in general, produces decent rifles IMO. My dad has squirrel hunted with one for a long time whether it is the Model 60 or bolt action Model 880 . When I was growing up, I would have thought this was one of the more expensive 22s considering the looks and function of it. Regardless, nice find and happy hunting!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I expected this to be another picture of a model 60 dropped into an airsoft shell.

Pleased to find otherwise!

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    That is a nice rifle. Congrats on the find.
    I have my Uncle's Glenfield Model 60 with the squirrel stock that was built in 1979. It is a great shooter that does not see the woods very often so it does not get beat up. It has a cheap Tasco 3x9 on it that I plan to replace on of these days. I have one of the really skinny 4x scopes that came with it, but it is fogged over inside and unusable.

Then I have this newer Model 60 Carbine. I put a 4-12x40 Bass Pro scope on it that works really well. I will probably buy another full size and give this one to my son on in the next couple of years.

I need to buy the kits and put slings on these. They pack easy enough, but a sling would make them that much better.
    I used to have a Glenfield Carbine that was very similar to the Marlin above, but in a fit of stupidity sold it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I love these rifles. I grew up shooting my dad's, and a few years after he gave it to me, I gave it to my youngest daughter, as she is more rifle oriented. DeadeyeChrista treasures it. Sharpshooter Shelby has one, too. I won it in a drawing at the Albany legion back when such things were possible.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I grew up with a Marlin 39A, but my cousin had a Model 60 and I shot it a bunch. I remember being jealous of the semi-auto. You can crank the rounds out as fast as you could pull the trigger. Most of my friends had the Model 60, very few had the Ruger 10/22, prolly cause it cost more. I remember Model 60's for around $65 when I was a kid. They cost twice that now and are still one of the cheaper options.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I traded one almost exactly like that for a Mag-Tek bolt action when my son was like 8. I wanted to teach him to shoot without just blowing through ammo! My mistake, I should have just bought the bolt action too...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good find! Always wanted one when I was a kid. Dad talked me into the Rugers.

Awhile back I scored a Marlin bolt gun in 22 mag for a hundred bucks. It was a good shooter. My dumb self passed the deal onto a friend looking for a gun for his son.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Love my Marlin 60, it was my first gun gifted to me by my dad. Interested tho... how is the front of the sling attached? Hard to tell in the picture... I've wanted to attach a sling to mine but front end of stock didn't appear thick enough to put a stud in.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Love my Marlin 60, it was my first gun gifted to me by my dad. Interested tho... how is the front of the sling attached? Hard to tell in the picture... I've wanted to attach a sling to mine but front end of stock didn't appear thick enough to put a stud in.

Uncle Mike's quick detachable .22 tube magazine sling swivels. $15 and simple to install.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some nice looking Model 60s you all have! I have fired a lot of rounds through Marlin bolt and lever actions but have never fired a Marlin 60.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I still have mine. The first gun that I ever bought. I bought it the summer that I graduated college in 1992 at a flea market in southern Indiana for $75. A Glenfield Model 60 with the squirrel on the stock.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I bought a spee-d-loader to go with mine. Hours of plinking fun. Super accurate too. I remember shootin with dad and his drunk buddies and we lit candles to illuminate the targets. I shot out the flame. They were pretty impressed. Sobriety certainly aids in marksmanship!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Indiucky you're correct as usual. Deadeye I will be passing this Marlin on to my daughter as w ell. I love the stories and pics everybody. ..keep em coming!

My love affair with the Marlin Model 60 started as a 9yr old during the hot, humid summers in the Blue Ridge mountains of South Carolina when I would go to summer camp at The Wilds (one of America's greatest summer camps). The 12 or so lane rifle range was stocked with amazing old 22 rifles. It was the highlight of my summer to compete with the guys in my cabin. I probably went 6-7 summers in a row and would inevitably, upon arrival home, beg my parents for a Marlin Model 60.
    I may or may not have a few of em now B-)

Top Bottom