• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was reading about the new Magnum Research 10/22 magnum rifle. In the article, they mentioned that the receiver has a hole drilled in the rear of the it to aid in cleaning the barrel from the breach, without removing it. Using a cleaning rod down the front of the barrel can mess up the crown and screw up accuracy.

I couldn't find a pic of their receiver showing the hole but I did find another pic about this mod.

Anyone ever done this? I currently use a bore snake for my cleaning but for the good through cleaning, I still use an aluminum rod down the front.

10-12-12-02-Ruger-10-22-cleaning-hole.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I recently bought an Otis kit for my .308 and will be getting a kit that will do everything else. I still like having a rod, but I really don't see how it cleans any better than the Otis.

I considered drilling my 10-22 years ago for easier cleaning, but never did. I figured my receiver didn't need another hole in it. I'm glad I didn't, but I don't see how it would hurt the firearm at all.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I have a bore snake that I occasionally use on my 22s for quick cleans. But there is no way that they match running a 2" brush through the chamber and barrel for cleaning. Especially on a gun that doesn't shoot jacketed ammo. My regular 10/22 is drilled for this reason. If you think you think those 30 or so bristles on our pull throughs are as effective, you're kidding yourself. ;)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have a bore snake that I occasionally use on my 22s for quick cleans. But there is no way that they match running a 2" brush through the chamber and barrel for cleaning. Especially on a gun that doesn't shoot jacketed ammo. My regular 10/22 is drilled for this reason. If you think you think those 30 or so bristles on our pull throughs are as effective, you're kidding yourself. ;)

That is my thinking. Bore snake after every range trip and a good full cleaning about once a year.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Funny, the brush that would fit on the end of my cleaning rod is the exact same one that I use on the Otis. But to each there own, not to mention with the hole the 10/22 would be a micro-gram or so lighter. :D

Knuckleduster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 25, 2017
    Monroeville
    I put a faucet washer on my cleaning rod up where the handle is. If it drops through it lands on the rubber washer. They're cheap and last forever. Any hardware store should have a drawer full of assorted sizes.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

The Otis and the Boresnake aren't the same thing. With the Otis, the brass brush is the same one you would put on the end of a rod. You are just pulling it instead of pushing it.

I have Boresnakes also that I just use for quick after-range wipe downs when I don't have time for a better cleaning.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The Otis and the Boresnake aren't the same thing. With the Otis, the brass brush is the same one you would put on the end of a rod. You are just pulling it instead of pushing it.

I have Boresnakes also that I just use for quick after-range wipe downs when I don't have time for a better cleaning.

I do remember the Otis being different. I might have to look into it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I rarely clean the bore on a.22 rimfire. Clean it when the accuracy falls off. I've used all the cleaning methods mentioned. Real concerns on a 10/22 are action clean enough to function and no lead ring in the chamber preventing full seating of the round. The 10/22 will fire out of battery if the chamber isn't kept reasonably clean. The issue is worse on an action that's been converted to .17 Mach2 .
    Several people who make knock off actions drill the rear of the receiver as a matter of course.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

I stand corrected. ;)

Top Bottom