• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So what happened? Was this a double feed of some sort?

I would've thought that using the forward assist would've kb'd when it was hit. It looked like the guy ejected a round (without further inspection), hit the FA, then when he pulled the trigger it kb'd.

When I see something like this, I wonder what I would do differently. As I mentioned, I'd like to think I'd drop the mag and try to figure out why I just ejected an unfired round, then seen the stuck round.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    As noted in the writeup in the Calguns thread, it is more difficult to clear a CA-compliant rifle because of the detachable magazine ban.

Wasn't that supposed to make us all "safer?"

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I don't know enough about anything, really, to comment...but there is a whole thread about it with pictures linked in the OP. Something about pre forward assist. :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't know enough about anything, really, to comment...but there is a whole thread about it with pictures linked in the OP. Something about pre forward assist. :dunno:
    Ah, right. Watched the vid without clicky the linky. Thx!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    FA will make a stuck round more stuck, and I always tell people never to use it, but unless it somehow causes huge bullet setback or there is some other obstruction will not make a gun blow up.

note:
    2016 Colt Expanse (pre forward assist) carbine

that's some crazy pressure in that chamber, based on the headstamp flow into the ejector hole ....

-rvb

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, this rifle had no FA. So you ignore uninformed remarks about that causing the issue.

He crane clawed the charging handle.

As much as he was dicking with the weapon, it does look like he is thumping the Exploder. If I implied that he hit the Exploder with the sarcastic question, then it is my error in confusing INGO.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    He crane clawed the charging handle.

As much as he was dicking with the weapon, it does look like he is thumping the Exploder. If I implied that he hit the Exploder with the sarcastic question, then it is my error in confusing INGO.

You have the most unique lingo. You didn't imply that he "thumped the exploder" (which is a terribly erroneous term), you outright said it. That is not confusing.

And I would love to know how pulling the charging handle will result in a kaboom. Next you're going to tell me working the lever on a model 94 will blow the gun up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have the most unique lingo. You didn't imply that he "thumped the exploder" (which is a terribly erroneous term), you outright said it. That is not confusing.

And I would love to know how pulling the charging handle will result in a kaboom. Next you're going to tell me working the lever on a model 94 will blow the gun up.

:popcorn:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, the guy who invented "the Errornet" and "Wookie-Suiter" is likely going to have some unique lingo. So, there's that.

The Exploder explodes the weapon. That's why Eugene Stoner fought Big Army's insistence on the second mechanical forward assist. But, Army's got the gold (and makes the rules) so we know how that went.

Pulling the charging handle improperly (crane clawing, or, my fave, crane claw while moving) can really dick the AR by not having it in battery or bending the charging handle leading to all kinds of bad stuff.

I don't know what happened, but my call based on the video we saw is operator error. I think . . . somehow . . . the exploder was involved here too.:D

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    From the thread on Calguns, there was no barrel obstruction or damage to the barrel. So really (internet surmising notwithstanding) there was nothing done to cause that to happen (like chamfering a round on top of a squib). Without knowing what issue caused the customer to hand the rifle to the manager, it will be difficult to draw any real conclusions. If I had to hazard a guess, though, I would think that California magazine wasn't feeding properly. In the process, a bullet was set back, and the manager failed to notice that when he chambered the round. The damage is definitely from over pressure. At any rate, I think it is more likely this was caused by failure to notice a problem with the round, rather than some impossible manipulation of the weapon.

Also, Stoner got it wrong. The FA has a very limited use, but when it is needed, it works great. I don't know of any accidents directly attributable to using it, and the military has been SPORTSing for five decades now.

Top Bottom