• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jonny9fingers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2014
    Zionsville
    We're moving my grandparents and we found a Winchester Model 1906. Based on the serial number it looks like it was made in 1913. My grandfather had it rebored and it seems to be in good working order.

Does anyone one know of a good appraiser in central Indiana?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Is it .22 Short, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle?
    The first couple of years were .22 Short only (I think).

It was a nice rifle. The value varies considerably depending on condition and whether it is "all original". I don't know any good apprsisers in your area... but someone will be along shortly.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    are you sure it was rebored only? The correct way would be to bore it , then install a liner. Just reboreing it would make it overbore and reduce the value a bunch.

Steve

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    To answer your original question, I wouldn't take it to a gun shop. They will lowball you all day long in hopes that you are in the selling mood.

The best way to value it is to create an account on Gunbroker and look at past sales. Indiucky already did that for you as long as the condition lines up with your gun. I would think a gun with a lined barrel wouldn't hurt the value of a shooter. If it is an engraved collector piece, it would hit the value more.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    What I've found with old firearms is that the ones that bring the premium prices are those that are in the best possible factory original condition; be it Winchester,Colt Smith & Wesson etc. Yours is what I call a "shooter" grade in that it's been relined and will bring a"market price" for that grade which can vary as you can see by looking at the current prices on gunbroker. Appraisal won't help the sales price but would be a good idea for ins if you plan on keeping it. You might ask about the price over on Rimfire Central too. If you can find a local Winchester collector he might offer you a "fair" price but as said above a dealer will try to buy it at a minimun of 20 to 35% of what he thinks he can sell it for. if your happy with that go for it.

Steve

Top Bottom