• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    So my last range trip, I took my Mossberg 500 out at the end to check the function and the red dot I'd just put on and get it set... (needs a little adjustment but not bad out of the box).

Only shot two rounds because I was mainly function testing since it was a trade gun I hadn't fired yet, but my pattern seemed odd (to me).

Mossberg 500
    18" Mossberg Breacher barrel
    Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck
    15 yards (approx)

The first shot patterned almost completely horizontal... the second shot almost completely vertical... Wish I'd taken pics...

Is this normal? Never shot buckshot before, only slugs for deer and shot (6 and/or 7 1/2 for squirrel)... I'd just never seen it before... Still looked like a nasty pattern, just expected more of a rounded "clump"...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. I've only patterned my 500 once, and it was fairly round and regular.

Grab a box of another brand and see what happens.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    And here's a prime example of why patterning a shotgun is a good thing to do! (Not aimed at you, OP!)

But that's a weird issue to have. I wouldn't THINK that the physical condition of the cartridge would play any part...

Is the breacher on your barrel screwed on or pinned / welded / etc? If it's screwed on - did it somehow shift between shots? I wouldn't THINK that would have any effect on the pattern, but sometimes weird things happen.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    And here's a prime example of why patterning a shotgun is a good thing to do! (Not aimed at you, OP!)

But that's a weird issue to have. I wouldn't THINK that the physical condition of the cartridge would play any part...

Is the breacher on your barrel screwed on or pinned / welded / etc? If it's screwed on - did it somehow shift between shots? I wouldn't THINK that would have any effect on the pattern, but sometimes weird things happen.

Agreed, I'm going to have to do this with mine...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah seems weird but I would want to see the pattern. I can tell you that different brands of buckshot will pattern differently. Sounds like I need to take the OP and Sgreen to the range since we are all so close.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Yeah seems weird but I would want to see the pattern. I can tell you that different brands of buckshot will pattern differently. Sounds like I need to take the OP and Sgreen to the range since we are all so close.

Can I come? I just picked up a Mossy 500 12 gauge for HD and I've never fired a shotgun

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Can I come? I just picked up a Mossy 500 12 gauge for HD and I've never fired a shotgun

I can take two guests with me to the club. So would have to be make two trips. Unless DR is a member and don't know that or SG wants to pay his dues. But yeah I can be talked into range trips. It's my wife you need to convince.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

The Mossberg Stand-Off barrel (the technical name I believe) is a one-piece. No screw on or pin. It could be a separate welded piece, but with the finish it's hard to tell. Next time I get out to our shooting property (when its not either cold as balls or wet and muddy) I'll try it again and take pics.

Just struck me as very odd... The spread at that range was probably only 6 or 7 inches, so it'd still be enough to put someone down for HD... I wouldn't have much more distance than that end to end in my house...

Not a club member anywhere, my family has property in Jennings County, so we use that to hunt and shoot and cut firewood (when dad doesn't have half a dozen people local with free u-cut wood, lol).

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Switching from horizontal to vertical....hmmm...you didn't switch to holding it 'Gangsta Style' did you? Sorry...just had to toss that out there.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I don't know what would make a shotgun change pattern like that. Every one I have just goes in a little-ish circle. I guess try some different ammo? I've been looking at some Federal #1 buck with the flight control wad for HD use.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I pattern all my shotguns.
    Temperatures can make patterns deviate drastically. Ask the old timers that go to Turkey Shoots. I've seen guys stick their shells down their shorts to keep patterns tighter. I never tried it but they were adamant about it.
    I've got an old Ithaca 37 that will put out a 12" spread at 25' with any buckshot.
    I HAD an 870 that wouldn't open up over 10" at 25yds with screw chokes barrel or slug barrel.
    The pattern differences in shells can be mind blowing.
    Same gun might pattern hard high left on one brand and low right with another brand.
    Don't overlook the Wolf buckshot. It's hotter than the Federal and patterns better for me.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I pattern all my shotguns.
    Temperatures can make patterns deviate drastically. Ask the old timers that go to Turkey Shoots. I've seen guys stick their shells down their shorts to keep patterns tighter. I never tried it but they were adamant about it.
    I've got an old Ithaca 37 that will put out a 12" spread at 25' with any buckshot.
    I HAD an 870 that wouldn't open up over 10" at 25yds with screw chokes barrel or slug barrel.
    The pattern differences in shells can be mind blowing.
    Same gun might pattern hard high left on one brand and low right with another brand.
    Don't overlook the Wolf buckshot. It's hotter than the Federal and patterns better for me.

I'll have to look into that, I think locally I've found the Hornady Critical Defense, Estate, and WWB... Can't remember if I've seen any Rem or Wolf... Though I have about 2 dozen different options for slugs... lol.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll have to look into that, I think locally I've found the Hornady Critical Defense, Estate, and WWB... Can't remember if I've seen any Rem or Wolf... Though I have about 2 dozen different options for slugs... lol.

Bite the Bullet had a 50 round brick of Federal flight control 9 pellet on the shelf Friday. I almost bought it but already have some 8 pellet laying around. For the price I like the Fiocchi 9 pellet low recoil. It patterns decent and doesn't beat you up. Sgammo online had the 80 shell ammo cans for about $50 plus $12 shipping.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Bite the Bullet had a 50 round brick of Federal flight control 9 pellet on the shelf Friday. I almost bought it but already have some 8 pellet laying around. For the price I like the Fiocchi 9 pellet low recoil. It patterns decent and doesn't beat you up. Sgammo online had the 80 shell ammo cans for about $50 plus $12 shipping.

Might have to get down to Seymour before I go shooting again...

Top Bottom