• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I am considering buying an old SxS shotgun, 1920's era. And I really know very little about what's what and is it safe to shoot regardless of what the seller says.

Is there a north side Indy gunsmith who could quickly tell me the gun functions as it should and should be safe to shoot. Quickly to stay within 3 day return policy.

Thanks for any help.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Be aware early shotguns could be chambered for shorter shells (2 1/2, 2 5/8 etc.). Shooting standard 2 3/4 shells in a short chambered shotgun is a realy bad idea. Check the gauge of the shotgun too. At least check the barrel marking for gauge and shell length. To be safe take the shotgun to a gunsmith who is familiar with old shotguns.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    1920's double is probably damascus or twisted steel barrels and not safe to shoot with modern shells regardless of condition or lock up.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    1920's double is probably damascus or twisted steel barrels and not safe to shoot with modern shells regardless of condition or lock up.

Not if it's US made....By 1900 fluid steel had replaced Damascus and wire twist barrels (the advent of smokeless powder sort of killed them)..I am sure there were some Belgium imports that may have still been twist but I doubt it was many if any....

IMHO based on 30 years of loving vintage doubles to a point bordering on obsession.....:)

Jinks is right about the chamber lengths...I know a buddy of mine that knocked a piece of wood out of a Parker 20 gauge VHE by shooting 2 3/4 inch shells out of it...He ended up getting some 2.5 inch shells out of England....

Top Bottom