C39v2 - WASR - YUGO - DDI - VEPR (***) What for my first AK ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well I will start by asking not to get hammered, at least not yet.

I had another thread about a 556 AK and that kind of went south as I have now made arrangements to have the ability to have the new caliber (to me) ammunition. In that thread I started asking about a Century Arms C39V2 and boy did I learn a lot the last few days.

Disclaimer - I know very little about AKs other than I now want one. I have never shot one up to this point as I have 5.56 rifles.

Some in the thread got frustrated with me and in some ways rightfully so, but I am ignorant and that is why I am here asking about it. To LEARN.

So if you are interested, you can find the other thread here..

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/432894-your-thoughts-5-56mm-ak.html

Here is my quandary, I want an AK. I am not ready to pay $1000 or more for one. So I started looking and very quickly figured out that an IO is out of the question. A Century Firearms would be ok as long as they did not make it. So a Romanian or Yugoslavian import would be best.

I have searched around and I can see that I will have to spend $700-$850 do get a decent one. I understand it will not be a Arsenal or VEPR but I am ok with that for now. Maybe later I will get a high end one.

So here is where I am at, and the reason I am starting a new thread is more eyes will see it and the more advice I get now the better.

WASR - leading idea I guess as it is Romainian ~ $700
    YUGO - Hard to find one like I want - just a standard AK no pistol or underfolder
    DDI - Out of business - laid off all workers right after Christmas
    VEPR - too much $$$
    RAS - Junk, I think the C39V2 has the same bolts etc.
    High Standard - Unknown
    Riley Defense - Also Unknown

Would like to see a Polish or Hungarian AK in the price range but that is looking less like reality now....Things should get cheaper soon but I have the range bug and I want it to be with an AK.

(2) Deep Questions

1. Does anyone here own a C39V2 that was purchased in the last 6 months? If so do you have any information that would lead one to believe that Century has fixed the Metallurgy issue they 'seemed' to have with a fair portion of these Rifles? Do you like yours and does it show any undue wear?

2. What would be ones suggestion for a $600-$700 AK that is a medium one. CommieBlock is ok. (I learned that from the AK Files forum that I tried to join for answers but for some reason I have not been approved as of yet after three days). Those guys are brutal but they had good information on the Century Rifles just not up to date so to speak on the one I was looking at.

Thank you in advance.:ingo:

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Just came across this,

AK47 Rifle Classic Wood Riley Defense SALE

AK47 Classic Rifle by Riley Defense, Looking for the Old School Look this is the rifle for you , Click image for more details
    Price: $570
    Sale: $529.00

rileywood%20(1%20of%2010).jpg

I have not heard of them. Riley Defense?

Miscellaneous AK47 Type Rifles

Good info here:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3677751

I will try and make it through the thread and see if they suck or not.

But for $500 and its not an IO,

rileydefense%20(1%20of%2012).jpg

Last edited:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Or maybe this one....in the price range as the one above seems too cheap..

npaprifle92.jpg

N-PAP AK47 Style Rifle , Semi-automatic 762X39 , These rifles are Imported from Serbia and built in the famous Zastava Factory know around the world for producing Rugged & Reliable AK rifles

$659

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I am not an AK expert, but I like my N-PAP. I think it's good quality for the money. If you're going to change out handguards or the stock, they are not the same as any other AK. You have to make sure they are for Yugo AKs. But brands like Magpul and Midwest industries offer those accessories and are high quality.

Another thing (someone back me up on this) is the Zastava barrels are not chrome lined. Opinions will vary on level of importance.

Here is an underfolder: https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-century-n-pap-df-787450231832

And fixed stock. https://www.slickguns.com/product/c...-click-price-match-button-get-578?mobile=true

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I purchased a Century C39V2 just before the election.

I have previously had a Yugo underfolder that I never really liked. I dunno...felt cheap.

My C39v2 has not seen much use, maybe 60 rounds down range so far. I don't see it sending more than a couple thousand rounds down range through the rest of my lifetime. It has performed flawlessly. I bought a few hundred rounds of Tula steel-cased FMJ for it, and it never hiccuped once in two magazines.

All of the online reviews I have seen said that Century sorted out its material problems with the release of the v2...only time will tell, I guess. Premature bolt carrier peening does sound annoying, but I don't think it prevents the rifle from locking into battery. To me, if the damage is only cosmetic it probably isn't going to bother me too much...it's an AK, the safety leaves a giant scratch down the side, there really isn't any reason to get too picky.

This reminds me of all the talk about Springfield Armory's cast M1A receivers...a lot of guys talk about how inferior they are to forged and broached receivers, but I've never seen one actually fail and my own rifle has performed flawlessly.

You are welcome to fire my C39v2, just let me know what your schedule is like. I love going shooting.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I'm interested in the C39V2 as well. Same boat as you, I know nothing lol

You might want to read the link in my original post, lots of links in that thread on the C39V2.

At this point, I am leaning to the Riley Defense as the thread I have was a very long read but a darn good one.

I have yet to fully decide.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    WASR WASR WASR. If you haven't watched Rob Ski (AK47 Operators Union) on youtube, do yourself a favor watch his reviews before you buy. WASR WASR WASR

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    You might want to read the link in my original post, lots of links in that thread on the C39V2.

At this point, I am leaning to the Riley Defense as the thread I have was a very long read but a darn good one.

I have yet to fully decide.

I went and read through your post, sounds like Century is a company to stay away from.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Please go talk to Advanced Weapon Systems in Greenwood before you do anything else.

Great guys, and are an AK builder right locally. They fixed alot of the problems my DDI had, as well as finding some things wrong with it that I didn't even know existed.

A little pricier (around $1k), but you can rest easy knowing that you didn't get a steaming pile of crap like most of these AK's seem to be anymore.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I did not mean to be crass with you in the other thread, and hope you didn't take it that way. There are many of us (myself included) that have been buying these rifles for a while that have learned a lesson the hard way; Don't purchase anything that Century has a hand in building. Not only are many of their projects poorly done, some are downright unsafe or dangerous to use. They have a history of cutting corners, mismatching parts that shouldn't be mixed, and doing shoddy work. To add fuel to the fire, they refuse to make it right with their customers in many cases and leave them out to dry. There are many that want to think "There's a new Century" or that "They are turning over a new leaf", but that simply isn't the case. The reason you probably aren't reading about metallurgy issues with the later built guns is due to them not seeing enough action yet. There are a lot of guys out there that talk more about their rifle than actually shoot it. And for some weird reason, they try to entice others in making the same poor decision as they did, I love to buy American made any time I can. Sadly, the US made AK market is still in it's infancy, and simply not up to par with what is being built in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Asia. If you took a sampling of AK's around the globe, the US made one are the ****iest by a long shot. I know that might sound shocking, but that is simply the truth. Hopefully they will get there someday, but they've got a long way to go still. That said, I have a PSA AK that I assembled, and have had good luck with it. But if you were to put it against one of my Arsenals, I'm sure it wouldn't last nearly as long.

If you do buy an American made AK:
    -First thing, check who built the receiver. Nodak Spud is probably the best of the US made, but there are few other good ones out there.
    -Next is the barrel. The chrome lining that is done in the US. is simply inferior to that in Com-Bloc guns. The reason is EPA restrictions. As an alternative, the Nitride / salt bath / NiCor / Melonite / etc... stuff is fantastic, and a great alternative.
    -Next, check the rivets and that the rifle was built straight. You might be amazed how much they vary when you pick through a pile of them on the shelf.

If you buy a foreign built (notice I didn't say foreign parts kit / US assembled), here are a few guidelines.
    -Bulgarian: Simply your best option now. On par with a Russian, but more readily available due to better trade relations. I can't stress enough that I would call KVAR and be put on the list for the next batch of Arsenal SLR107R's for $850
    -Russian: Once upon a time, Saigas were a bargain but that ship has sailed. Lots of bubba'd conversions out there, so be careful if you shop for one. Many guys out there price gouging folks due to the new import restrictions. Of the Saigas, the Arsenal SGL conversions were fantastic.
    VERP is an excellent choice. Unfortunately, they are imported in a neutered configuration and require parts, skill, and time to make them look like a traditional Ak. This may or may not be an issue for you.
    -Chinese: Once upon a time, they were affordable and are truly incredible rifles. Like the Saiga, that ship has sailed, and the neutered ban era rifles (MAK90) bring close to what an SLR107R would cost you.
    -Romanian: Once upon a time (see the trend?), very cheap and that ship has sailed as well. The early WASR's had problems (built crooked), but many claim the newer ones are improved. Keep in mind. the rifle was built in Romania and designed for a single stack mag. Century hogs out the magwell to accept a double stack magazine, but they are pretty wobbly (but they tend to function fine). That said, they have Romanian built barrels that are fantastic, and other than being finished a bit rough, the rifles work very well.
    -Yugo: personally not a fan. The barrels wear mush quicker, because they lack chrome lining. Chrome really helps with heat, especially with erosion around the throat. This may or may not be an issue, depending on how many rounds you plan to send out of it. They also take a plethora of Yugo only parts, including the furniture.
    -Polish, Hungarian, Egyptian, etc......: Hit or miss, depending on who assembled them. There are abortions out there like the Century Tantal that has an "open choke" barrel (they used 223 blanks rather that 222) that should be avoided at all cost. There are good ones one out there too. I had a Vector underfolder with a Polish barrel, and it was fantastic.

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I've got a c39v2, but not from the last 6 months. I've probably got 500-600 rounds through it and have none of the issues I've seen described online. I've run it till it was good and hot with no issues and have only used steel case. If you look around, some of the big youtube names have also not had any issues with theirs and then there are the pictures of issues, but those are mostly the earlier models (which I have). I probably mentioned it before, but I'm considering getting another one to get that side mount. I've become, for me, fairly proficient with the irons, but I do enjoy having the option of throwing some optics on a rifle.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Rule 1: Buy an AK made in a country that actually fields AKs.
    Rule 2: Don't buy anything Century built.

If you follow those rules you will likely get a reliable rifle.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I did not mean to be crass with you in the other thread, and hope you didn't take it that way.
    If you do buy an American made AK:

Not really I took it to heart which was why I posted in the first place. I have not ruled out the C39v2 as I doubt I will ever shoot 5000 rounds with it but I want a quality gun for $750 out the door. The Arsenal for $850 is $900 out the door, if you can find one but that is enough that I should just spend $150 more and get a darn good one. I just can not see it, spending that much on a rifle I just want to shoot. I am an AR guy, and if I could I would spend $2k on a H&K416, but I don't have that anymore as I have blown my gun budget out of the water in the classifieds.

The issue I have is I see 3X the good reviews on the C39V2 than bad ones and the bad ones are mostly from Century haters, deserved or not.

I would like to get a Bulgarian but they too are $1000. If you can find one.

So now I am really looking at the Riley Defense. A very good article at AK forums on it. New company that wants a chance and for $500, I think I will give them a shot. I just havent made up my mind yet.

No worries I have thick skin, and a High Point 995 (original)

If you buy a foreign built (notice I didn't say foreign parts kit / US assembled), here are a few guidelines.
    -Bulgarian: Simply your best option now. On par with a Russian, but more readily available due to better trade relations. I can't stress enough that I would call KVAR and be put on the list for the next batch of Arsenal SLR107R's for $850
    -Russian: Once upon a time, Saigas were a bargain but that ship has sailed. Lots of bubba'd conversions out there, so be careful if you shop for one. Many guys out there price gouging folks due to the new import restrictions. Of the Saigas, the Arsenal SGL conversions were fantastic.
    VERP is an excellent choice. Unfortunately, they are imported in a neutered configuration and require parts, skill, and time to make them look like a traditional Ak. This may or may not be an issue for you.
    -Chinese: Once upon a time, they were affordable and are truly incredible rifles. Like the Saiga, that ship has sailed, and the neutered ban era rifles (MAK90) bring close to what an SLR107R would cost you.
    -Romanian: Once upon a time (see the trend?), very cheap and that ship has sailed as well. The early WASR's had problems (built crooked), but many claim the newer ones are improved. Keep in mind. the rifle was built in Romania and designed for a single stack mag. Century hogs out the magwell to accept a double stack magazine, but they are pretty wobbly (but they tend to function fine). That said, they have Romanian built barrels that are fantastic, and other than being finished a bit rough, the rifles work very well.
    -Yugo: personally not a fan. The barrels wear mush quicker, because they lack chrome lining. Chrome really helps with heat, especially with erosion around the throat. This may or may not be an issue, depending on how many rounds you plan to send out of it. They also take a plethora of Yugo only parts, including the furniture.
    -Polish, Hungarian, Egyptian, etc......: Hit or miss, depending on who assembled them. There are abortions out there like the Century Tantal that has an "open choke" barrel (they used 223 blanks rather that 222) that should be avoided at all cost. There are good ones one out there too. I had a Vector underfolder with a Polish barrel, and it was fantastic.

One of the best summaries I have seen in my 4 days of looking.

Kudos to you for writing all that out, it should be a sticky.

:ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo::ingo:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Was not a fan of the AK but was worried about that evil person getting elected so looked around for a AK got the century 39v2 have shot about 1000 rounds what a great rifle no peening of the bolt no problems at all. It is all wood and very happy with my AK name Hillary

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Well after a review like this and its a month old maybe they (CIA) fixed the issues. I know, CIA sent it to them and cherry picked the rifle they sent......still I just like it but I am skeered........should I or not?

[video]https://youtu.be/L-J-wU8sghw[/video]

I can not get the Riley Defense, maybe later...out of stock.

Top Bottom