A stupid AR "bridging the gap" question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Yeah, I know..., don't do it.

But..., I have some extenuating circumstances that might make a difference. To set the stage, I'm trying to fit a rear flip up sight, a Vortex VMX-3T magnifier and a Vortex Sparc II on the receiver and I can't quite get everything to fit. I could put the rear sight between the two, but that looks janky.

The Sparc II red dot is MOSTLY on the receiver with only the front 1/2" over the gap. The bolt that clamps everything up is two slots back on the receiver.

Second, the upper is Daniel Defense and has those four bolts attaching the free float picatinny hand rail to the upper. So rotation shouldn't be an issue.

Think I'll be alright?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Yeah, I know..., don't do it.

But..., I have some extenuating circumstances that might make a difference. To set the stage, I'm trying to fit a rear flip up sight, a Vortex VMX-3T magnifier and a Vortex Sparc II on the receiver and I can't quite get everything to fit. I could put the rear sight between the two, but that looks janky.

The Sparc II red dot is MOSTLY on the receiver with only the front 1/2" over the gap. The bolt that clamps everything up is two slots back on the receiver.

Second, the upper is Daniel Defense and has those four bolts attaching the free float picatinny hand rail to the upper. So rotation shouldn't be an issue.

Think I'll be alright?

I've never liked bridging the gap. Not a single shred of data as to why it's bad to my knowledge as it's entirely a gut based decision. In retrospect as long as the mounting planes are linear and it sights in fine it should be okay. But I'm still a bit hinky about doing it. Dunno why.
    Dan

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think you'll probably be fine considering most of the mount is on the receiver and DD makes extremely good quality rifles. I wouldn't suggest putting a red dot completely on a rail forward of the reciver (excluding monolithic setups) but 1/2" hanging forward shouldn't be an issue. The only way to know for sure is to mount it up, shoot it and see if it holds zero over several range trips.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't like my optic mounts on my rail system. But since the majority of yours in on the receiver I doubt it'll give you any trouble. The cantilever mount could buy you some space though

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have seen guys run back up sights together on the rail with optics (main aiming device anyway) on the receiver. check out www.dlsports.com A lot of his builds have his back up sights up on the handguard. Have a box of tissues beside you when you click the link his stuff always gets me going and I find I cannot contain all the dna particulates very easily.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Since you have been given some good answers, and I have nothing to add, I'll indulge in a little derail. I considered this problem, and in light of the red dot limitations and my budget limitations, I went with iron sights. They're good at everything, but not the best at anything. But they're not everyone's favorite flavor.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Might try some different rear sights. I was able to fit magpul mbus, vmx-3t and sparcII all on my receiver. I don't run that combo now because I hated the magnifier and its non-existent eye relief, but it did fit.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Here is the setup on mine, works very well. I do have to flip the magnifier out to bring up the rear sights. I love this setup, but I don't use the magnifier much, unless really needed. It spends most of its time flipped out. It is nice to have it when needed though.

vortex_sights.jpg

Ron

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    My VMX-3T must be newer as the base is more centered under the magnifier and on the other side. Plus with the rear sight behind it, the eye relief was atrocious.

Thanks for the replies though. For now, I've just gone sans irons.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I actually flipped my VMX around, that is why it is on the other side. I liked it this way better.

Good luck with your project!

Ron

Top Bottom