• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Purchasing a bolt action 22lr for the grandkids to plink around with and, as a secondary use, to work on my bench skills (or lack thereof). Pretty much settled on the CZ 455 American or Varmint and leaning toward the bull barreled Varmint.

General internet opinion seems to be that the CZ 455 is hard to beat. The American seems generally liked with some more accuracy inconsistencies on the Varmint (which seems counterintuitive? Maybe people buy the Varmint thinking a bull barrel will change the basic characteristics of a 22lr??)

Not opposed to a little tuning to get it dialed in but stopping sort of re-barreling.

My initial thought was a Browning t-bolt, but the CZ is less money and seems as good or better a shooter. (Yes; I realize the CZ Kool-Aid flows freely on this forum...)

Any comments? Ownership experience?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If bench rest is primary purpose I'd go with the Bull Barrel, having the extra weight helps, I'm assuming you will shoot the Sporter Class in which you can't clamp down the gun. Having said that, my CZ 452 regular profile barreled rifle is just as accurate as my Bull Barrel.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Had many .22 rifles over the years. Latest one is a CZ 452 bought used. It is clearly the most accurate .22 rifle I've ever had. This one will see me to the end.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have both and either will serve you well. Neither have sights though, which I would think would make the plinking time more fun. Maybe consider the new CZ 455 Scout? they improved the rear sight and it comes with a threaded barrel 1/2x28 (I think).

Here is a 50 yard group of my 452 Varmint. Three shots.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I have both and either will serve you well. Neither have sights though, which I would think would make the plinking time more fun. Maybe consider the new CZ 455 Scout? they improved the rear sight and it comes with a threaded barrel 1/2x28 (I think).

Valid point but this is intended as a scoped rifle platform. Plus, hard to beat the 'ol 10/22 Ruger for plinking steel. Probably should have said paper punching not plinking....

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got the Ruger American bolt and I have to say it's difficult to beat. Excellent 2 3/4# trigger, riser for the stock for scoped rifles that just secures on by removing the rear stud in the stock. Solid free floated barrel out of the box. Very cost effective metal finishing and synthetic stock.
    I've got a couple of old Remingtons (541T and 542T) rifles that are tack driving sobs but the Ruger groups are identical to them.
    Heavy barrels are nice but I'm NOT sure they're mandatory on a bolt gun for the bench.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've been debating what 22 rimfire bolt to get for a precision rifle trainer. The CZ comes highly recommended (and I like the Varmint Precision with the Manners stock, although I might get a less expensive one and put it in a McRee chassis to match my 308), but was wondering how it compares to the Ruger American.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I went with the American last time I added a CZ rimfire. My is the earlier 452 model. My even older 452 Special ( they were later Trainer I believe) shot so incredibly well with its relatively slim profile barrel I settled once again with a sporter profile barrel of the American.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I went with the 455FS that was in the classified here - which of course wasn't even on my list...trigger is a crisp and consistent 2 lb 10 oz.

Working on a scope. I like my Vortex scopes but I think I'm going to go with the Leupold Vx-1 rimfire 2x7. It has a narrow objective that I think with high rings should clear the rear sight. That way I can just take it off for sights.

Anyone scope FS and keep the rear sights?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I like my Vortex scopes but I think I'm going to go with the Leupold Vx-1 rimfire 2x7.

I seen the FS CZ 455 in the ads - very nice! I have a couple of the Leupold 2x-7x rimfire scopes - one on a Browning SA-22 and the other on a Marlin 357 for the moment. Should look really good on that FS CZ. I might eventually add one for use on my CZ American.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I just scored a 455 Varmint Tacticool this week. I prefer the chubby barrel, but it does add a good bit of weight over a Scout or American.

This is with a 16.5" Varmint Barrel. If you get the longer Varmint barrels (they go up to 24") they can get pretty dad gone heavy. I see no reason for the extra length (and weight) in .22lr.

Top Bottom